Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much money will the winners be getting for prize money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much money will the winners be getting for prize money?

I know the answer should be "Not enough to cover expenses..."

Anyone know how much the winners will be getting this year in the different classes, say first through sixth place, or whatever is posted...?

Is this posted on RARA's website?

Re: How much money will the winners be getting for prize money?

I know I saw it somewhere...

EDIT: Page 15 of the ROC. Not the most precise, though.
    Last edited by race9; 09-14-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Not enough money to cover the cost of them being there and racing.

Comment

Prize money is rarely enough to cover costs. It has to be a labor-of-love, not of profit.

Even the X-prize followed that route. The prize was 10 million dollars for putting a manned civilian-built 3-seat craft in space (briefly), but it cost 2-3 times that to pull it off.

Comment

About 8 years back a third place unlimited pilot told me they got $60k for that years 3rd place. I have also heard the number of $160k for the top dog. Per a post, if I remember correctly by Matt Jackson, last place in the Gold pays more than 1st place in the silver.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
            Prize money is rarely enough to cover costs. It has to be a labor-of-love, not of profit.

Even the X-prize followed that route. The prize was 10 million dollars for putting a manned civilian-built 3-seat craft in space (briefly), but it cost 2-3 times that to pull it off.
            I would say that prize money in any racing sport doesn't cover the expenses, that's why NASCAR and other sports have huge sponsorship deals to cover those costs.

Comment

It wasn't a few years ago that the dog sled race in Alaska paid more then the winner in the Gold Unlimited Race and Purina threw in a years supply of dog food. Munch on that one! Kudos to RARA for stepping up to the plate and making it somewhat respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                About 8 years back a third place unlimited pilot told me they got $60k for that years 3rd place. I have also heard the number of $160k for the top dog. Per a post, if I remember correctly by Matt Jackson, last place in the Gold pays more than 1st place in the silver.
                Jimmy Leeward told me the same thing. That's why he always bumped to Gold after winning the Silver. He would also mysteriously always have a mechanical issue that caused a mayday somewhere in the first 1 or 2 laps of the Gold. I guess nobody said you had to finish the race to get paid! (In fact, I think the rules state 1 lap means "competed".)

Comment

Working...
                X