Tuesday Reno ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday Reno ramblings

So a bunch of observations in no particular order.

Unlimited:

Aircraft health-

Strega has the prop off, haven't heard why, new record on a stock engine, no idea where to start the questions that raises! For example, transport rods instead of the allison rod? Why haven't other racers gone as fast even with highly modified engines. Enquiring minds want to know!

Rare Bear is back in a hangar and be seriously wrenched on, again no idea what is wrong

232 has a burnt piston, they aren't sure why but seems like they are putting it back together, Pete Law (I think that is who it was) was in their pit so they are getting some great help!

Ghost looks to heatlhy and ready! Didn't blow anyone away today with speed but I don't think they planned to, they know Sunday is the real show

Furias, looked like it is healthy too, hoping to see more of her tomorrow, ran into Bill Rogers, he said he was enjoying just being a spectator and is doing well, he agreed with me that the new owners are doing right by Furias

Argonaught looks healthy and sounded great, I tell you, 2800s are the future!

Dreadnaught was pulled out to the ramp after the last unlimited session but no obvious signs of drama

Voodoo is fast and was being worked on but looked to be normal stuff

74 is healthy and a beauty, they say the second engine is really good!

PM is here and was being wrenched on, not sure the status

Steadfast breaking 400! Wooot!

Other stuff

I watched the Viper jet and the Vampire looking for worrisome flight behavior but they looked solid and fast to me

There was a very fast looking Questair, color me a fan of the eggs!

Two P-40s and two early P-51 variants in unlimited is awesome! I am learning to love the P-40 again!

Dave Morss shared his secret plan, he is flying Polar Bear and The Bear, he hopes by focusing on planes with "bear" in their name that eventually that will get him in Rare Bear! I fully support this plan!!

2 real Cleveland racers in Unlimited is amazing!

Not much of the herritage stuff here today, I expect more inbound

One of the best sounds in the world is a Tigercat going around the pylons, wonder just how fast you actually make one?

I have a lot of pictures and more coming. I'm learning a new camera so set expectations appropriately, I'll post a link to everything once I post them. I've tried also to take enough "documentation" shots of some of the planes for the scale modelers among us.

More to come later!

Spacegrrrl

Re: Tuesday Reno ramblings

Excellent update, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
      So a bunch of observations in no particular order.

Unlimited:

Aircraft health-

Strega has the prop off, haven't heard why, new record on a stock engine, no idea where to start the questions that raises! For example, transport rods instead of the allison rod? Why haven't other racers gone as fast even with highly modified engines. Enquiring minds want to know!

Spacegrrrl
      I'm 99% certain Strega is running Allison rods. With the manifold pressure they're likely running, Merlin rods would become very unhappy, very quickly. "Transport" rods refer only to late model Merlin rods built for the 600 and 700 series Canadair DC-4M motors. They are a bit beefier than a standard -7 or -9 rod, but still won't compare to the G-6 Allison rods for strength.

As for other racers going as fast, we most certainly have seen it! Both Dago Red and Rare Bear have actually gone faster than Strega's 499+ qualifying lap, with Dago running a 6-lap race average in excess of 507 in 2003. Don't get me wrong, HUGE kudos to Team Strega for all their accomplishments, but it's certainly not unprecedented.

Best of luck to all the teams racing this year. Let's keep it safe, and have a great race on Sunday!

SA

Comment

I get a kick out of this "stock" motor. If you believe that, please call my office tomorrow, I have some other stuff I want to talk to you about.

Arizona Beach Front properties & Surf Club LLC
        (888) 782-5377
        Ask for Slick

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
          I get a kick out of this "stock" motor. If you believe that, please call my office tomorrow, I have some other stuff I want to talk to you about.

Arizona Beach Front properties & Surf Club LLC
          (888) 782-5377
          Ask for Slick

Hey Slick...When California finally falls into the sea you will be rich!!!!

Comment

Well done Spacegrrl, I always enjoy your thoughts and look forward to the pics.

CC
            "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

Spacegrrrl,

Thank you for the report! Something like that each day really helps when you can't be there. We really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Keep Rambling!

Comment

Working...
              X