Blue Tones L-29 538.68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Tones L-29 538.68

Holy cow! I thought the fast L-29s were out. Is he running something other than the Viper upgrade?
    Last edited by boom3; 09-13-2011, 06:49 PM.
    Jeff

Re: Blue Tones L-29 538.68

Yes he is. There might just be better way than the Viper conversion. Imagine that!!!!!
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

It has a P&W JT-12 in it. It's not a flying death trap in itself like the Vipers are, but it is still way too damn fast for the course. I hope they are outlawed for next year, or all the Viper birds will follow suit and we'll be back to hiding in bunkers during the jet races.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        It has a P&W JT-12 in it. It's not a flying death trap in itself like the Vipers are, but it is still way too damn fast for the course. I hope they are outlawed for next year, or all the Viper birds will follow suit and we'll be back to hiding in bunkers during the jet races.
        So would you call for the unlimiteds to be "limited" when they get to that fast? I think a Tsunami with todays engines would be there now.

How fast is too fast?

Spacegrrrl

Comment

If the unlimiteds could no longer hold the course well and were putting the crowd in serious danger then, yes, I would. The unlimiteds don't seem to have any issues with that even at well over 500. The jets start to have issues above 480.

Comment

Hiding in bunkers.. The last time I did that was in 2010 when Dr. D put on a show in his taylorcart in like 30 mph winds.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I think if they were that unsafe the FAA and RARA would have canned it by now. The crash years ago was an L-39. Go talk to an L-29 pilot and ask them how unsafe they are. They know how their aircraft handles. Sure they are pushing it more than usual but I think there is too much speculation and worry. I love watching the jets.
              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by boom3 View Post
                Holy cow! I thought the fast L-29s were out. Is he running something other than the Viper upgrade?
                They are running Speedmod.com "SCIMITAR" tips and a fraction of the drag reduction of the other fast L-29's. The Speedmod.com modifications also eliminate the Mach tuck issue on course. This is a workhorse airframe, equipped with many antennas and a camoflage paint job for civilian contract "Red Air" service. The uninstalled thrust is 3,000 lb vs. 3,712 for the RR 601 viper.
                Last edited by Blue Foam; 09-14-2011, 12:17 AM. Reason: added mach tuck detail
                Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

I saw Vipers 543 qual lap last year and saw yesterdays 538 from the VOS. In both cases the line flown was well winthin the deadline. Very smooth. However, that's 1 jet at time on the course. Its a little scary with a full field on the first lap. Just my $.02.
                  "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I looked for a bunker, ended up hiding in a sani-hut.

Comment

but it is still way too damn fast for the course. I hope they are outlawed for next year,
                      PUHLEEEZe! Too Fast?? Whooya kidding? Unsafe? Just about as unsafe as the Thunderbirds low pass over the ENTIRE length of the seating area today! If you want this sport to continue, best step out of your comfort zone and see the realities for what they are. Kids don't want to see piston planes their great grandparents flew. They want hot JP4, Afterburners and Speed! Bank on it!!

Or Guess we can all watch Tom Camp Burn up the race course AGAIN at a speed more com·men·su·rate with your wishes!

Dago is still the fastest!!
                      Last edited by Dago Dog; 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Gold jets ran just under 500 MPH and looked totally safe. I am actually getting to be a fan of the class now, the different jets like the Iskara and the opportunity to inovate makes the class someting worthwhile (if you ask me).

I agree the Thunderbirds put the crowd at way more risk today with repeated direct fly overs even directly into the crowd which is banned in most other countries after the German Airshow Tragedy.

So I'd say get over it, jets are here and finally worth watching!!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Working...
                        X