B-36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-36

A few days ago Bill Pearce posted a request for photos of the P-82 and the B-36. That is what led to this Forum so if you like it thank Bill Pearce.
    This is a test to see how the photos look and I can't think of a better example than the B-36. This is RB-36H-40-CF, s/n 61-13739, at San Francisco Airport on August 27, 1954. This is the second B-36 to land at SFO, there was a B-36A on exhibit there in October 1948. This photo is rare because the gun turrets are up and open. If there is any interest I have a closeup of the nose guns.
    Attached Files

I like the new forum. Thank you Bill Larkins and Wayne. I am also interested in those nose guns.

Bill Pearce
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

What Engines?

Bill,

The B-36 has been an airplane that fascinated me since seeing, I think it was.. Jimmy Stewart (?) in a movie that featured the airplane.

Biggest reason that it is so much of interest to me is that, even though I was old enough to know what was going on when it was in service (I think) and lived only a few miles from an active AFB (Stead) and spent most of my time staring at the sky.. I NEVER saw or heard one!

In fact, the first time I saw one (static display) was two years ago, on the way to the Doolittle Reunion... The one on display down your way.

What engines did it use, and what must that thing have sounded like? I guess another question that always comes to mind, how long was the B-36 in service.. it always seemed such a wasted design as it must have only been around for a short time?

Thanks again for starting what will be a VERY interesting addition to "Hangar Talk!"

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

4360's Dude!!
        mucho noisy!

Comment

Wayne,

Who's Tom??? Six 4360s and most models had two (maybe four) jets in underwing pods. I could look up the number of jets and service dates but this is not "Ask Bill Pearce". I have only seen part of one at Dayton AFB. What one have you seen? I would love to see one fly and I hope someday, somehow, I will.

Bill Pearce

And the Jimmie Stewart movie was "Strategic Air Command" I think.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
            Who's Tom??? <whupps> <snip>...What one have you seen? I would love to see one fly and I hope someday, somehow, I will.

And the Jimmie Stewart movie was "Strategic Air Command" I think.
            Minor finger error on my message posting.. I guess I should not drink wine and type at the same time??

I saw the one on static at Castle AFB, which is now just a museum I think.. (could not remember the name) Yet to see one fly, I'd seriously doubt anyone will again.. we can hope though I guess!

Wayne
            PS.. that's the name of the movie! God I loved Jimmy Stewart movies.. but, we're takin this off topic!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Guys, I got to sit in the -36 in the AFM during the WW-I fly-in a few years back. For such a big A/C, it has one tight cockpit. As for one flying, let's ask Tom Reilly what it woud cost. It would require the combined forces of Paul Allen, Kermit Weeks, Steve Fossett, etc. Maybe Fossett could set some records in one, i.e., most jack spent on a restoration!

I raced sailboats long ago with a guy who was a crew chief on a -36. Imagine cleaning and gapping 336 spark plugs!!! Peas
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

B-36 Guns

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                I like the new forum. Thank you Bill Larkins and Wayne. I am also interested in those nose guns.

Bill Pearce
                ---------------------------------

Here is the closeup. I think it is quite rare to see this at a public air show such as this one at San Fracisco in August 1954.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Very interesting view.. Do you know if the method of operation of the guns was to rotate the turret and shoot the gun of choice for the gunner or was there separat aiming of each gun?

I did not even know that there was such a gun on this airplane until these photos!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    Bill,

Very interesting view.. Do you know if the method of operation of the guns was to rotate the turret and shoot the gun of choice for the gunner or was there separat aiming of each gun?

I did not even know that there was such a gun on this airplane until these photos!

Wayne
                    ------------------------------
                    No, I don't know the answer to that. But there is an excellent inexpensive book on the B-36 that is part of the Squadron/Signal In Action series. It has been re-issued as No. 1042 and should be available at hobby shops and book stores. You can also get it by going on the Internet to <http://abebooks.com> and putting Jacobsen in the author block and B-36 in the title block. There are some other more expensive books, I think Jacobsen has done a $50 book on the B-36 through Schiffer Publications.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Extremely interesting stuff Bill,

I did not even know the -36 had the retractable guns until your first post on the subject.

Pretty amazing plane, and I suppose, depending on who's version of history you listen to, one that *maybe* should have never been built (the political, or so I've heard, decision to not build Northrup's wing and build the -36 instead)

We have a somewhat famous book store here in town (Powells) that has some really offbeat stuff at times, they sell a lot of used books, I should do a raid there one day and see just what they do have.

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As a Note if my brain cells are still functioning the 36 at Castle came from Chanute AFB Rantool Ill.

I have Instamatic shots of it that i took when i was going to tech school there in 79-80.
                        it was moved west in 91 during desert storm, talk about a big time moving job

did a fast look cant find it right now but how about a shot of a B-58??
                        and no it is not the record setting 58 just a paint job

Comment

I goofed heres the shot

Comment

One More Time
                            Attached Files

Comment

B-58

Had just received my private ticket in 1962... was enroute from Canton, Ohio to Peoria, Illinois in a rented 172 when I got a real close look at a B-58. I was under a very low solid overcast at about 1000 feet when I noticed a "black cloud" coming my way. As it got closer, I saw it was a Hustler with everything hanging out... and it passed close enough in front of me for me to clearly see the the pilot.... hope he saw me... atleast he missed me and I did not become history. I think he was headed for Rantoul???? I don't do formation flying... but that is the closest I have ever come to another aircraft in the air.

Comment

Working...
                              X