Best Field Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Field Ever?

Reno fever is high, so I needed to do something...
    In my opinion, this could be the best Reno Unlimited field ever. I guess that opinion is subjective, but what is a good field?

To me, it is the potential for a field of nine gold racers Sunday running fast, and close. I like to see the 500 mph laps, but traditionally only one or two (perhaps this year three) are really in contention for that. That is where a closely spaced field makes for better racing (at any speed) on Sunday.

So, for fun I decided to tally up the qualifying averages of the top nine racers since 1998. I also tallied the standard deviation of the field to gauge how closely matched they were.

The results? 2010 was the worst field from 1998 to now, in both speed and standard deviation. I think this year should absolutely rank the best mathematically if everyone else qualifies as they should, and of course if they stay healthy. But on paper, this field may very well be the best ever...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glider90; 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM.

Re: Best Field Ever?

Very cool chart.

The only plane that I think would make the field any better on paper (and in person) is Czech Mate..

Hope everyone stays healthy and we have an epic race on Sunday!
    Last edited by NOVA; 09-13-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Depending on attrition etc., it's possible you could see a Gold final with racers all capable of 450+. My guess is that would be the fastest group of racers ever. The only problem will be watching the race and not missing all the action.

Comment

Yeah but that would be a nice problem to have.

GP

Comment

That table has got to qualify you for Jr. Geek status at the very least.
          I love it!

Kevin

Comment

I would like to second the motion to Jr. Geek status. Great chart.

Comment

Two comments:

1) "Geek" is a compliment, because that's a cool analysis

2) This is absolutely shaping up to be a great field, but without Dago Red, its not going to count as an ultimate showdown, even if Bear, Strega, Furias, the Ghost, and Voodoo run perfectly. I miss that slick red horse... :-(
              Last edited by 440_Magnum; 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Indeed, compliment of the highest order.

Comment

Working...
                X