Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of the Unlimiteds flying in on one engine, then swapping for a race engine...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of the Unlimiteds flying in on one engine, then swapping for a race engine...?

I read about this process in another thread somewhere, so here's the question.

Anyone know if any of the Unlimiteds are flying in on a ferry engine, then swapping to either qualifying/race engine to qualify/race... then changing back to the race/ferry engine?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM.

Re: Any of the Unlimiteds flying in on one engine, then swapping for a race engine...

It's not unusual at all for top running planes to use a ferry engine and change to their race motor after they arrive.

Comment

Re: Any of the Unlimiteds flying in on one engine, then swapping for a race engine...

When, and who?
      Chris...

Comment

I don't know of a single racer who is not flying in on the race motor. The ferry motor is usually reserved for getting home if the race engine breaks.

Comment

Generally speaking, what are the differences between the race and the ferry engine?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            Generally speaking, what are the differences between the race and the ferry engine?
            The number of zeros you write on the end of the check to the engine-builder.

Comment

One is to last and one is for fast.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskaracer View Post
                  It's not unusual at all for top running planes to use a ferry engine and change to their race motor after they arrive.
                  VERY unusual. I know Miss "A" did that a few years ago, but have never heard of another Unlimited doing it. An engine change is a very tedious, difficult proposition. In addition, the idea is to put some run time on the race motor prior to flogging the piss out of it. Rings must be properly seated, bearing edges sloughed off, etc. The screens will tell you a TON about how a race motor is breaking in (or any motor, for that matter), and whether or not anything unusual is happening. Barring any problems, for those reasons, it would be very rare to have any Unlimited perform a motor change during race week.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
                    Just glanced at it and haven't had a chance to read it entirely but that appears to be a great article on hot rodding an Unlimited. It was writtten in 2001. I'm sure lots of it is still current. We need an updated version of it for 2011. Who wants to write one?

Should post it over here also: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=9128

Comment

Somewhere, maybe it was WarbirdAeroP there was an article written by Little Steve(calling him that because you guys are referring to Steve H. Sr. as Big Steve) in which he mentions flying Strega in on the race motor utilizing non race fuel, then switching to race fuel at Reno and getting the systems all functioning for the high boost configuration. Great article, I hope I'm remembering it right.

Comment

Dago, during the Kerch years, would do an engine change on Monday after the gold race for the trip back.

Comment

I still recall many years ago after the Mojave Air Race, Lloyd Hamilton was attempting to fly home to San Rosa after the races on his race engine and suffering an engine failure on Baby Gorilla resulting in a forced belly landing in the desert.
                          I'm not in the know, but it seems ferry engines became more popular after that incident.
                          Rampking

Comment

Pretty common to fly to the races and home on 100LL and then drain the tank for race gas. And all those systems better be working flawlessly before you get to the races or your in trouble already.

Comment

Working...
                            X