Past planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past planes

What's a good resource to find info on lineage of planes that raced under previous owners/names? ie. Miss RJ>Roto-Finish Special>Red Baron or
    Foxy Lady>Sumpthin Else.

Some planes from the past were really special and I was curious as to what ever happened to them. One of my fav's was Georgia Mae. Whatever happened to her?

Re: Past planes

Here is some info on the Red Baron:
    "I'd keep playing.....I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while now"

Comment

Some drawings:
      "I'd keep playing.....I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while now"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Hastings View Post
        Here is some info on the Red Baron:
        http://www.enginehistory.org/Convent..._baron_1.shtml
        Fascinating article.

I saw Roto-Finish evolve into The Red Baron. Saw McClain fly it and Greenamyer win with it. Saw BIG Steve win with it.
        Was there in '79.......not much fun, until we heard Steve was ok. Thanks for the link.

But what ever happened to rides like "Vendetta" or "Fat Cat" or "Mangia Pane"? This is such a great forum...........

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
          What's a good resource to find info on lineage of planes that raced under previous owners/names? ie. Miss RJ>Roto-Finish Special>Red Baron or
          Foxy Lady>Sumpthin Else.

Some planes from the past were really special and I was curious as to what ever happened to them. One of my fav's was Georgia Mae. Whatever happened to her?
          What planes would you like to know? They're relatively easy to track...just gotta throw out a name.

"Georgia Mae" was originally Jack Sliker's "Escape I". Raced with a Kenworth sponsorship in '77 by Mac McClain, it was then purchased by Wiley Sanders in 1985. Raced as "Coyote" at Bakersfield '85, then "Georgia Mae" from Reno '85 through Dallas '90.

Wiley got fed up with RARA and retired his planes.

Was 'restored' if you will, to military markings and flew as "Barbara Jean" out of Iowa for many years...but I believe it has since been sold to a new owner.

Comment

Thanks Big Jim..........that's EXACTLY what I was lookin' for.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
              Fascinating article.

I saw Roto-Finish evolve into The Red Baron. Saw McClain fly it and Greenamyer win with it. Saw BIG Steve win with it.
              Was there in '79.......not much fun, until we heard Steve was ok. Thanks for the link.

But what ever happened to rides like "Vendetta" or "Fat Cat" or "Mangia Pane"? This is such a great forum...........
              Vendetta crashed on a test flight following an engine failure in 1989. The wings and horizontal stabilizer were incorporated into the 1997 Miss Ashley II, while the fuselage was restored as the TF-51 Scat VII....both of which were ultimately destroyed in fatal crashes.

Fat Cat was sold to the Whittington brothers in 1984 and restored as Petie 3rd. Sold to Pete McManus for many years, and then passed on the Jeff Prior in California.

Mangia Pane was sold in the fall of 1985 to Bill Hickle and restored as Iron Ass. I believe it was sold in the last couple years and repainted as either Red Dog IX or a version of Mustang Sally.

Comment

This is SO great!!

Saw "Iron Ass" at Moffet,Watsonville,Morgan Hill and Madera; thanks for the history.

I'm gettin' so amped-up I'm havin' trouble sleeping. Only 6 more days!!
                Headin' up for quals....the beers are on me!

Comment

The owner of Iron Ass was Hugh Bikel. after he sold it the name was changed to mustang sally,still had the same markings. Now in South Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                    The owner of Iron Ass was Hugh Bikel. after he sold it the name was changed to mustang sally,still had the same markings. Now in South Africa.

HAHAHAHA.....I must be getting old...because in my MIND I was thinking Hugh Bickel......and my fingers were typing Bill Hickle of the old Lyle Shelton team.

Too bad they don't have any 'little blue pills' for the mind, eh?

Thanks for the correction.

Comment

here is a pic at Bakersfield of coyote. Shawn
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X