Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea. Provide the Race attendees with an "Insiders look at the race planes'' program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea. Provide the Race attendees with an "Insiders look at the race planes'' program.

I'm sure others have thought about this before me posting it here.

Many people attend the races and have no idea what goes into making a race plane, correct?

Imagine if there was an online, downloadable, printout version that a person could bring to the races with them, or read at home prior to attending the races, or put on their smarthphone and view at the races, that explains the details that go into making a race airplane.

Motor type, airframe modifications, speeds, costs, owner, pilot bio, crew chief bio...

So when you attend the races, you either read it at home prior to arrival, bring it with you to the races by printing it out in advance, or you view it on your smartphone while at the races so you have this encyclopedia of information specific to the air races...
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-06-2011, 10:47 AM.

Re: Idea. Provide the Race attendees with an "Insiders look at the race planes'' prog

I think the varius free "WIKI" type information hosting sites would be ideal for this.

Just like wikipedia, but reno specific.

Great idea.

Comment

Re: Idea. Provide the Race attendees with an "Insiders look at the race planes'' prog

RARApedia? It sounds neat. I'm sure a lot of fans would like the opportunity to have a little more in depth knowledge of who/what they're watching.

Comment

A few hours spent perusing this forum will give pretty great insight into the aircarft, pilots, teams, history, etc.

I doubt you'll find many better sources without writing your own book.
        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
          A few hours spent perusing this forum will give pretty great insight into the aircarft, pilots, teams, history, etc.

I doubt you'll find many better sources without writing your own book.
          Thanks.. It's been the goal of this site to promote the sport, as well as give an "inside" peek at what goes on during the off season.

I once ran into a group out on the fenceline, a couple years after we started the site, and they had printed out most of the articles we had done over the past year or so... that same year, I walked past a couple guys and one was saying to the other "I read it on AAFO".... mind you, this is before anyone had any idea who I was...

I realized at that time that we really had something here..

Well, time marched on, contributors came and went, I got sick and lost a lot of energy in the process... well... I still have it in mind to do a LOT more with this site... just gotta figure out how to stay focused and make it work!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Motor type, airframe modifications, speeds, costs...

Many of those specifics may be consider team speed-secrets, and thus they may not want to give anything away that could help another team.

How about a description of a generic unlimited racer, or two if you want one description of a radial and one for an inline-V racer? That might be do-able. Describing clipped wing-tips, water-injection and tiny canopies wouldn't hurt any competitor's chances.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
              Many people attend the races and have no idea what goes into making a race plane, correct?
              MONEY... and lots of it.
              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
              My Photos
              My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                Thanks.. It's been the goal of this site to promote the sport, as well as give an "inside" peek at what goes on during the off season.

I once ran into a group out on the fenceline, a couple years after we started the site, and they had printed out most of the articles we had done over the past year or so... that same year, I walked past a couple guys and one was saying to the other "I read it on AAFO".... mind you, this is before anyone had any idea who I was...

I realized at that time that we really had something here..

Well, time marched on, contributors came and went, I got sick and lost a lot of energy in the process... well... I still have it in mind to do a LOT more with this site... just gotta figure out how to stay focused and make it work!
                First, thank you for what you do here Wayne and not to add to your plate, but a humble suggestion...

There is likely a component or add-on to vBulliten for a wiki feature and there are certainly enough folks around to add articles for each class, airplane, person, year, etc...

Could be outstanding. (more outstanding than it already is)

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                  MONEY... and lots of it.
                  Don't forget the blood, sweat and tears required for success, and I DON'T mean the rock band...

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                    It may be on this site, but think of how much time it would take for a person to find, search...what they may be looking for, or not looking for but would be interested in reading.

I'm thinking on the lines of having it all put together for them. So they don't have to spend the time searching. Maybe different categories for the different components, engines, airframes, modifications..., then different categories for different classes...

I've seen this done on other websites re diesel motors. Where the moderators or the members push the different threads into different categories, to make general browsing/searching easier.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                      Many of those specifics may be consider team speed-secrets, and thus they may not want to give anything away that could help another team.
                      That's exactly what we want. The "Team Speed Secrets."

Then you could add another category called, "Rumors and Gossip" column. Included would be topics like: Who's sleeping with who, who's divorcing who, who's dating a younger person, who's going bankrupt by keeping their plane running, who's been seen doing...you know, all the trashy stuff. Like the National Enquirer type read, trashy but it does make an interesting 3 minute read while your're waiting in the checkout line at the store and reading about Alien Babies in Spacecraft...
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-07-2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Or you could ask someone on the team while at the races, and they'll probably tell you everything they want you to know.

Comment

Working...
                        X