The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future

Been reading this forum for a short time, but it seems there are a lot of insightful/knowledgable folks here...so; what are your opinions on the future of Unlimited Air Racing. I love the warbirds, but nothing lasts forever. Do you see more Tsunami/Pond racers in the future? Maybe scaled down Thunder-Mustang variants? What are the futures for inline/radials? Is anybody tooling new stuff for Merlins, Pratts and Wrights, or are people thinking of going the Falconer route?

Love the sport and hope it has a long and bright future.

Re: The Future

Unlimited Air Racing, enjoy it while you can. They cant mnake alot of the parts for either motor types. Soon they will be gone.

I think the future will be jets and supersports myself
    Maybe they could install some sound systems on the jets to make them sound like a wound up merlin/roundie?

Would be nice if the jets were a lil louder though, maybe a longer race, their races go by so fast. I love the class btw

Comment

It's only a matter of time for our dear unlimiteds... Sport class is the future of 400+ mph air racing.

Comment

When do we see turbo-props? Thats my one unanswered question.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by 4banginfocus03 View Post
          It's only a matter of time for our dear unlimiteds... Sport class is the future of 400+ mph air racing.
          Gotta agree. Reading about Critical Mass being returned to stock config. and the value of these warbirds, I'm glad I get to see them on the course. That lead me to the query about auto-based (nee Falconer) powerplants. Pond was Nissan-powered: anybody developing anything for the future?

Dropped from the scene after the 94' T-6 incident and was surprised at the speeds of the Sports upon my return. Those and the jets seem to be the future...it's just that I LOVE those Unlimiteds. Nothing in the world sounds better than a screamin' Merlin.
          Last edited by V1670; 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

V,

Just found this site about a month ago and it has been like a good book- I can't seem to put it down. Check this thread out, a lot of folks talking about your very question. http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthrea...ht=race+lenght

And as tragic as it may seem, these are great days we are living in. When the finial chapters is written, and it is all said and done- those that follow will only be able to wish and dream to see what we have seen. Change is the only thing in life that never changes, and nothing in this universe gets out alive.

As far as an answer to your question- I am not worthy to give you one: but I will say though- asking a question like that around here is kind of like playing with a Hornets nest.

CC
            Last edited by CarolinaChuck; 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM. Reason: spellin
            "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

This form of air racing is I'm afraid dying.

There are not enough young people interested in aviation much less fifty year old Warbirds. The encroachment on the race course will be what eventually puts the final nail in the coffin.

The course is/has become increasing dangerous with the addition of the jets and encroachment. The jets are to fast for the course, and with the Unlimited starting to push it up to 500 + they are also getting to fast for the facility. The 94 T6 accident is the per-curser of what I'm afraid will happen in the future only with people on the ground injured or killed.

The Warbirds will survive as there are companies/people making parts for them that a few years ago were not available as new. This will continue. It is not cheap and will become increasingly expensive, but it's the only way the Warbird population can continue to fly safely period.

Finally there needs to be more people with the financial resources and most importantly the desire to "do this". People with the fire and passion to run it to the limit. It takes a ton of money, the long green to race at Reno. Not just the enormous sums required to prep the aircraft, but the expense of the crew that is mandatory to field a racer. Keep in mind if you win on Sunday and don't have any breakage the purse will not cover your expenses for the ten days you and the crew are at Reno. Break a engine and your really in the hole.

There is RARA itself. Who must walk the fine line to survive and continue be able to stage the event. I won't go into detail here as it would not serve any meaningful purpose, so don't ask me.

The NCAR is about people. People who love airplanes and old ones at that. Many of the crews are volunteers (such as myself), that give of their most precious commodity, time to have fun in the desert one week out of the year. To renew friendships forged over many years trying to Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left. I urge those of you that have not been to get off you butts and go! Go before it's gone or changes so much that people talk about it in the past tense even more. Go and be jazzed on Sunday afternoon when the Unlimited shake the ground as they flash past the home pylon for the start of the Gold Unlimited Race. You gotta be there. No video, no audio recordings (except Jon Altman's Reno on Record, its the best) can replicate it!

Hope to see you all there, and maybe we can share some talk over a beer in the pits.

Willie
              Unlimited Race 2 Crew Dog
              Last edited by Warbird5; 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM. Reason: Content flow and thought change

Comment

Thanks Chuck, that was a fascinating read. Advised in the link..I'll keep my "pie-hole" shut and read postings on this forum and gain some knowledge. The link really got the grey-matter stimulated: need vs. cost, etc.

I think it's amazing what they're doing with these 60-70 yr. old designs.
                The pilots get the noterity (as well they should), but to me, the heroes of the sport are the Bolands, Poes. Zeuschels,Thorns..the aerodynamicists, engine builders,crew chiefs and mechanics who got us to where we are today. The engines, both inline and round are very reliable, but pushed to these extremes..I don't care what they are, they're (at some point) gonna break. I just wanna learn more about the
                direction the sport is heading. As mentioned in the link "can a fan tell the difference between 450 and 490?" Not me. It's the sound of the engines and the dicing on course that get my blood pumping.

To the pilots,aero-guys, engine-men, crew-chiefs and mechanics: like that Vulcan guy said "Live long and prosper"

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                  Thanks Chuck, that was a fascinating read. Advised in the link..I'll keep my "pie-hole" shut and read postings on this forum and gain some knowledge. The link really got the grey-matter stimulated: need vs. cost, etc.

I think it's amazing what they're doing with these 60-70 yr. old designs.
                  The pilots get the noterity (as well they should), but to me, the heroes of the sport are the Bolands, Poes. Zeuschels,Thorns..the aerodynamicists, engine builders,crew chiefs and mechanics who got us to where we are today. The engines, both inline and round are very reliable, but pushed to these extremes..I don't care what they are, they're (at some point) gonna break. I just wanna learn more about the
                  direction the sport is heading. As mentioned in the link "can a fan tell the difference between 450 and 490?" Not me. It's the sound of the engines and the dicing on course that get my blood pumping.

To the pilots,aero-guys, engine-men, crew-chiefs and mechanics: like that Vulcan guy said "Live long and prosper"
                  Once you've been there, you can tell the difference between 450 and above. Trust me.

Willie

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
                    Once you've been there, you can tell the difference between 450 and above. Trust me.

Willie
                    Agreed , I can usually call a lap time within a few mph. I have lots of practice though.

Comment

FUEL......

or the lack there of will eventually kill off the warbirds as far as performance goes. I would welcome a turbine class but only time will tell...right now I am hoping for 2 more good years 50 is the magic number for me!

Comment

Seems theirs still a great deal of interest in the Reno Air Races.........Crowds appear to get bigger every year. I remember talk 30 years ago, about how much longer the unlimiteds would be able to continue, and they're still in there providing the highlight of the races for most. Turbines would be good. Super Sport would be great. We're coming up on 50 years of Reno.......I hope they'll be another 50 years.
                        Brian

Comment

At the moment, however, turbines just are not that widespread yet, mainly only on business planes, which aren't either fast or strong enough for a race course.

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post

Willie
                            Definitely. Even the jump from 450 to 475 is night and day.

Comment

I feel like the biggest threat to the races right now is the jet class. They are going WAY too fast for the course. The unlimited at 520 seem to be able to hold the line much better than a jet at the same speed. The 550 mph Viper engine L-29s are just terrifying to me. If they get to race this year, I am leaving the property during the gold jet heats.

Comment

Working...
                              X