A few considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few considerations

As we all anticipate the running of the Gold in two weeks, let us make a few considerations...

1. - Stevo & Strega
    We have all beheld virtually unmatched performance by Stevo, and the Strega team. Race #7 is just plain fast, and it seems we are yet to really witness the witch unleashed. Even while posting high #'s on the course, it just sounds like she's cruising, and I have a feeling that if need be, we could see a lot more speed from this one. Dago still hold's the records, but I think most of us would agree that #7 is faster...it's just not proven. If you ask me, Tsunami was faster than either of these stangs, we merely have no such record of it.

2. - Leeward
    There's only one other name I can compare with Leeward, when it comes to mastering the course, and that's Greenamyer. Don't get me wrong, we've seen the best the world has to offer in many of our beloved race pilots, but these two I consider to be genius of the pylons. Leeward doesn't need the fastest plane to win, now he very well could have the fastest, but he doesn't need it. Don't underestimate the Ghost, not when it's bridled by Jimmy.

3. - The Bear
    #77 saw it's glory years, sorry bear fans, but the big cat just doesn't have what it takes to run ahead of rival #7, or #177. She can make it look close, but at the end of the day the stamina and stride of the mustangs is too much.

4. - The Furies
    We surely don't give credit where it is due when it comes to the big roundies. For example, Dreadnought is capable of very similar average race speeds to what we witnessed out of #7 in last years Saturday heat. If this takes you back, your senses have been dulled!

I don't expect to see any great surprises from #8, #15, or #232 this year, nor would I foresee any of them leading the pack on Sunday, however, under the right conditions, they very likely could give those stang drivers a reason to increase the mp.

5. - #5
    I really wish we knew the potential of this loco caballo, I don't believe it has the pedigree of the ponies listed above, however, if she could stay sound and still run, I may be forced to change that opinion. Time will tell, prove me wrong Voodoo!!

6. - Twin 2800's
    What guys? You don't think the Tigercat will see a position in the Gold again? You must admit, that was pretty dang cool last year!

7. - Griffon
    It will be good to see #38 back on the field. I look forward to the seeing the new improvements! She would have to be the dark-horse favorite, but I'd give her a few more seasons before this one's reckoned with the others in the stable.

Re: A few considerations

There is nothing cooler that reading the excitement folks share as the races get closer.

Everyone has a favorite (or many favorites) and they share that excitement with everyone around them.
    Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
    Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

Hard to imagine anyone getting around Strega and I agree they've only used the inches required to win (probably quite a bit left...). But I can't shake the funny feeling that I'll be scratching my head Monday morning thinking, "I didn't see that coming."

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

2. - Leeward
        There's only one other name I can compare with Leeward, when it comes to mastering the course, and that's Greenamyer. Don't get me wrong, we've seen the best the world has to offer in many of our beloved race pilots, but these two I consider to be genius of the pylons. Leeward doesn't need the fastest plane to win, now he very well could have the fastest, but he doesn't need it. Don't underestimate the Ghost, not when it's bridled by Jimmy.
        Are you seriously putting the Ghost in the same category as Strega? These two are not even close. No offense meant to the Ghost team but I would be surprised to see it break 480. If I'm wrong, even better!
        Also, don't forget Strega's stellar pilot.

Jarrod

Comment

It has been very quiet in the Voodoo camp. Kertch. is up to something, and he may surprise everyone. If the engine holds together, his experience in making the air frame fast will make the difference. I think he has won with every plane he has been chief chief on. Watch out for Voodoo this year.

Comment

Something else to consider...

Last year, most if not all of the top runners saved their stuff for Sunday. What will be the strategy this year?

Saturday's heat race could be very interesting...
            Sky Critter

Comment

Do not be counting Furias out. I can't listen to this nonsense that Furias won't be in the top 3 at least!!!! GO TEAM FURIAS!!!!
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

3. - The Bear
                #77 saw it's glory years, sorry bear fans, but the big cat just doesn't have what it takes to run ahead of rival #7, or #177. She can make it look close, but at the end of the day the stamina and stride of the mustangs is too much.

Did YOU see the "Glory Years"? I suspect if you had you would be singing a different tune. We are talking about the fastest piston engine aircraft in existence. If Strega is so much faster why dont they hold that record?

Strega was absent for awhile, and then had a couple years with motor problems. Did people come out and say she was past her prime and incapable of winning anymore? Stamina and Mustang were a combination you would never hear a few years ago. People love front runners and are so quick to forget. I cant wait to see the Rare Bear blow all you forgetful peoples minds this year, so I dont have to hear nonsense like this anymore.

And 177?? I love the ghost, and see a lot of potential there, but it will take more in the motor department to even keep up with the Bear, let alone pass it.

Something else to consider...

Last year, most if not all of the top runners saved their stuff for Sunday. What will be the strategy this year?

Saturday's heat race could be very interesting...
                This has been rattling around my brain a lot lately, I really do think we will see a slightly different approach to what has been nothing but posturing in the last 5 years on days other than sunday.

P.S.

This is not an attack, or a call out. Just playing the fan game. I love Strega and all my fellow fans. Just having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by eric 120 View Post
                  It has been very quiet in the Voodoo camp. Kertch. is up to something, and he may surprise everyone. If the engine holds together, his experience in making the air frame fast will make the difference. I think he has won with every plane he has been chief chief on. Watch out for Voodoo this year.
                  Absolutely. the mans touch cannot be ignored. Will Whiteside is a great pilot as well. Absolutely my dark horse pick this year

Comment

I'm really torn this year. I am a die hard Rare Bear fan and would love to see Stu bring home the trophy but...

Voodoo has paid her dues, probably more than some and it might just be their year. I would feel privileged to witness her finish first on Sunday.

I also appreciate the new contenders GG and Furious. I know they're not really new but might as well be. A win for either is unlikely their first year out but, I like it when the underdog prevails.

Strega? Rock solid program the last few years. Hard work should be rewarded. They just make it look so easy.

I'm really bummed Czech Mate ran out of time. It would have been an exciting time watching her perform better than ever before. See ya next year!

See you all in 8 days for the best race week ever!
                    Sky Critter

Comment

There was a conversation that was going on and a small crowd was forming, I too was curious.

As the crowd grew larger I strained to listen in, and after a few moments passed I began to get the jest of what the conversation was about. A few moments pasted….from somewhere in the crowd, back behind me, began a chant.

A few more moments passed….and I remember my mind feeling like being in a dream state where you are having a nightmare and trying to wake yourself, but can’t. I strained to get a better handle on the conversation, but my mind was torn between the conversation and that chant. Another moment….the chant grew louder; all of sudden, like that pungent smell of burnt motor oil just before all hell breaks loose, I realized what they were chanting, “bottle” “bottle” “bottle.”

Of course this chapter of this story has yet to written; oh yea, I am a dreamer, and I pray some too(think, “Chaplin, with my intimate relationship with God- if write a good prayer, we’ll have good weather”). I know, I know that dreamer thing in me again, but don’t go trown dirt on the old girl just yet! I keep thinking really, a man puts “Small Thermonuclear Device” on his web site, and installs a NOx system in a racer for the sole purpose of intimidating the competition- really?

No offense taken and I realize that the old girl is going to have a new suit at the controls this year; and that pushin that itty-bitty little button for 3km is whole another world- in a whole another universe- then pulling that pig iron around for six laps. I also realize, in all fairness, that the name of the game is nutrition; if anybody is going to beat those Mustangs they are going to have to get their tongues hanging out because there aint going to be any fly’n around em.

I would like to take a quick moment to thank everyone here on the forum- all ya all are like Crack to a drug addict! I hope everyone going this year has a safe trip; I think 2011 might be one for the record books.
                      Last edited by CarolinaChuck; 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
                      "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." Albert Einstein

Comment

If everything goes good with the plane, Matt might suprise a few of you.
                        GO MATT!
                        Ron

Comment

I'm a Mustang fan, but I too remember the Bear's glory years. When it's running right I don't think anything can touch it. Also didn't it run close to 490 before they changed the measured length of the course?

I live near Stead and have heard the bear testing once or twice this summer (no mistaking that sound!). They are well funded and their airframe is supposed to be sounder than ever.

Bruce Lockwood said on this forum that winning at the top level is largley a matter of getting all the systems to function properly and reliably. I'll bet that's what they have been working on. If they show up with a reasonablly strong engine I think they will win again.

Comment

Speaking of Kerch..........All the previous posts are all correct or probably all wrong. Ask me Monday!

Willie

Comment

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
                              I'm a Mustang fan, but I too remember the Bear's glory years. When it's running right I don't think anything can touch it. Also didn't it run close to 490 before they changed the measured length of the course?
                              In 1996 the Bear qualified @ 491 and change. With today's timing that would be closer to 500.

(Edit: broke out the slide rule, and at 491.266, applying the 2% course timing change the corrected speed is 501.091. Meaning, if that same qualifying lap were timed today it would be over 500. There you go...)
                              Last edited by RichH; 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X