Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember?

So how about a little poll in light of the upcoming festivities:

How many on here saw Lyle Shelton race the Bearcat in person?

How many saw Tsunami race?

How many saw Bob Hoover start the Unlimited races?

How many remember when they only raced Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Bonus as to ow many remember a time when they only ran three Unlimited races every year....Bronze Friday, Silver Saturday, and Gold Sunday?

How many saw the Red Baron race?

How many saw Conquest I race?

I just realized that this is my 40th Anniversary at Reno. And while I know there are people out there who go back farther, I know there aren't a whole lot of them...because there isn't a whole lot farther to go back. I feel old.
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 08-31-2011, 10:52 AM.

Re: Do you remember?

First year 1992, so:

Lyle: Yes

All others: No

Comment

Saw Lyle in the Bear... been a fan ever since.

Saw Tsunami run her last laps.

Saw Hoover start the races and some AWESOME shows by him. I miss the Rockwell International scheme...

Don't remember the Fri., Sat. Sun only. For the most part I've only been able to make Sundays races.

Was there for the Baron's last race. Worst feeling ever when she dropped into hoovers gulch.

Never saw Conquest 1 run.... but boy I wish I had!

Comment

Lyle yes, but not at Reno. I saw Tsunami in person, but not at the races. I never had the pleasure of seeing Hoover fly anywhere.

Comment

Been going since '86... Lefty should be in there as well.
          Sky Critter

Comment

Can't forget Lefty and White Lightning, I still remember when he came in after a qualify run and had some wire and sage brush on the left wing tip. We use to be able to go on the hill during the races and Lefty would try to give us haircuts LOL

Or being out "under" the planes on the back stretch for the gold race.

Remember the Confederate Air Force with their Tora Tora Tora show?

I remember once we were at the end of runway at Red Rock camping in a travel trailer and in the early morning one of the Blue Angles had some fun with us, when he took off he stayed low until he got to us, then stick back and blasted us with the dust :-)

Heres couple pics from 79 of Rare Bear and Red Baron. Someday I should go through all my 35mm slides of the Air Races. I did shoot some of the Red Baron and Crocker during last race and have some of the scene on the ground afterwards. :-(

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Many Times, also had the pleasure of having him up in section 3 with us a few times.

Yes, I also remember not liking the plane very much, I was a kid and thought it was just a chopped up mustang, Now in hindsight I know it for the important peice of history it is, and the beuaty and grace in its lines.

Cant say yes to the top two without saying yes to this one.

How many remember when they only raced Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Bonus as to how many remember a time when they only ran three Unlimited races every year....Bronze Friday, Silver Saturday, and Gold Sunday?

I dont have a clear recollection of this, but I must have been there then.

No recollection, I was very young.

I dont think so.

I am 34 years old and have been going since as long as my parents could take me, I have only missed one year since I can remember, and I will never miss another one. Nearest I can figure this will be my 29th year in attendance. Having grown up with this event being a pinnacle of my year, they inhabit a VERY special place in my heart.

Comment

A number of times and even got to talk to him about flying the "Bear" a couple of times.

Every time and spent a good part of the last year it raced in their pit.

I definitely saw him start the races and was lucky enough to see him do his Mustang routine, the Aerocommander routine and the Saberjet routine. It is had to imagine we are now in a world where we can't see him dazzle us anymore.

How many remember when they only raced Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? Bonus as to ow many remember a time when they only ran three Unlimited races every year....Bronze Friday, Silver Saturday, and Gold Sunday?

I remember Friday, Saturday, Sunday (I think that is how it was the first time I went) but the other thing I think was before I started going.

I wish I had!

I REALLY wish I had!!!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

I've been going to the races since 1964 so I've seen most all of the items.
                  Gary Williams

Comment

Yes, six times. Saw Dr. Cliff Cummins in #69 (the Ghost #177) in '69 and belly in in '70. Saw Clay Lacy win the '70 ULG by default. Saw Gunther Balz win in #5 Roto Finish Special and sell it an hour later. Saw Bob Hoover do an aerobatic routine in an F-86 and scrape it on the runway on the bottom of a six sided loop. Saw Furias get temporarily named Havenaught in '83. Saw Mr. Levits and way too many others lose their lives testing the limits. Saw Lyle laugh gas it ahead of the crowd in '91. Saw qualifying on Monday 9/10/01. Saw too many racers destroyed or returned to stock to count. Saw Stevo win the Gold in '10 without turning a lap.
                    I've heard that Christmas is a big thing. Campared to what? You just ain't been to Reno yet.

Is anybody else not able to sleep this time of year?

Comment

I remember Lyle racing, Tsunami, Blind Mans Bluff, and yes Bob Hoover announcing "Gentleman, You have a race!" from his Mustang. I also remember Bob doing both his P51 show and his Shrike performance. I think I may have seen Stiletto race as well.

Will

Comment

I was 21 when I made my first trip to Stead.

I'm 51 now, and I'm not finished going yet!

...saw Lyle Shelton race the Bearcat in person...

...saw Tsunami race (and Sumthin' Else, and the first appearances of Stiletto, Bud Light Corsair, Dago Red, Strega, etc ....)

...saw Bob Hoover start the Unlimited races AND do some miraculous cloud-dancing in Ol' Yeller and the Shrike Commander...

...saw Art Scholl and his little dog 'Aileron' amaze us with seemingly slow-motion, gravity-defying aerobatics in his highly-modded Chipmunk while his wife shot fireworks around him (or AT him,... gotta ask her )...

...saw many a junk car, SUPPOSEDLY an illegally-parked spectator's vehicle, dropped out in the desert in front of the crowds from hundreds of feet up by a Chinook twin-rotor...

And I do remember three day races, back when you could just pitch a tent 100 feet from the gate and camp there all week, and simply walk into the pits each late afternoon after the event was over for free, and all day earlier in the week during qualifying too.

Shall I say it?....Those were the days...
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I saw the races first in 1972 saw Conquest 1 beaten by the P-51 Roto Finish. Been 38 times saw Bob hoover start the races and his aerobatic display in the shrike. Saw Tsunami every year it was there including 90 what a battle with the Bear. Hoping to go this year, don't own a car and live in Paradise CA

Comment

Been going since 76 so all of the above EXCEPT Conquest and the 1-a-day races.

Art Scholl's acts, including the best drunk farmer ever (sorry Kent).

Hoover over the radio, then the announcer, stating that Steve was gone in 79. The crushing sadness followed by the joy to find out they were wrong.

Lefty over the years. Probably the one greatest thing I miss. Wish Hinton would do an act in the 38.

The Sanders smokewinder show.

Rick Brickert in the Red Knight doing slow, graceful, smoky flip flops to "Proud to be an American".

The early 80's when every year brought something new to race.

Jeannie's crash, recovery, arrival and win. What a story!

Johnny Rutherford and the crushed Caddy.

On and on!
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                              Saw Lyle laugh gas it ahead of the crowd in '91.
                              I seem to remember being told by the guy that plumbed and hooked the system up, that Lyle never once used the squeeze in competition. During the 3km, yes....but never during the roundy-round. The laughing you heard in '91 was Lyle as he whomped the best anyone else could bring.

Could be wrong due to age-induced brain fade, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X