Rod Lewis' P-40C for Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Lewis' P-40C for Reno

According to the Planes of Fame Facebook page, as well as 232, Fighter Rebuilders are preparing Rod Lewis' P-40C for Reno (presumably the Rolls-Royce Heritage display). I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this ultra-rare fighter up close in September!

Re: Rod Lewis' P-40C for Reno

Long-live the memory of Pearl Harbor heroes- Welch & Taylor!

I'm gonna be totally-stoked to see that beautiful restoration wearing Welch's PHA P40 mkgs at Reno this year. (Proud to note I 'dug-up' the unit a/c markings for their 12/7/41 planes-something that eluded PHA research historians for over 50-years.)

OH YEAH, Baby! Thanks, once again, -Mr. Rod Lewis!

"Up & At 'Em!"-

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

DBD

Comment

I'll be interested in seeing that myself. As a child growing up the "Tigers Teeth"(not shark) was easily recognizable and still is. The AVG will always be the American (Hero's) Fighters I remember as a child. It's too bad later in life that I learned Greg Boyington was a member of that group. But I still have General Chenault to look up to.
      I wish I could verify the original Hell's Angels were the AVG in China. A place I despise at this time in my life. I had fun there in my Navy days though. God Bless each and every one of you who make this worth while.
      Someone in the world will see the value in these old warbirds for one reason or another. I pray they don't go to China.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbf4u View Post
        I'll be interested in seeing that myself. As a child growing up the "Tigers Teeth"(not shark) was easily recognizable and still is. The AVG will always be the American (Hero's) Fighters I remember as a child. It's too bad later in life that I learned Greg Boyington was a member of that group. But I still have General Chenault to look up to.
        I wish I could verify the original Hell's Angels were the AVG in China. A place I despise at this time in my life. I had fun there in my Navy days though. God Bless each and every one of you who make this worth while.
        Someone in the world will see the value in these old warbirds for one reason or another. I pray they don't go to China.
        Snooping around, I found this:
        Read the section on "Combat history".

Comment

Was out at POF today and the P-40 was in hanger looking like she was just towed off the assembly line. Flawless and not even a speck of dirt. She had her cowls off and the engine looked spotless. But the detail work is amazing. The inside of the gear wells are lined in canvas and even the wire antenna insulator was on the side of the fuselage. Great looking bird.

As for 232 she was in a hanger getting some new paint. The wings are completed, red and white, and the tail was masked and still drying (a white strip like you would see on a P-47 in WWII) . The majority of the fuselage was unchanged and masked off. She was sporting a stock 3350. So she will be a fun ride around the pylons. Should dominate silver....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
            Was out at POF today and the P-40 was in hanger looking like she was just towed off the assembly line. Flawless and not even a speck of dirt. She had her cowls off and the engine looked spotless. But the detail work is amazing. The inside of the gear wells are lined in canvas and even the wire antenna insulator was on the side of the fuselage. Great looking bird.
            The P40C is truly a work of art... the team at Pioneer and AVSPECs in Auckland are true craftsmen, they have restored some beautiful P-40's Dick Thurman had a P40K-5 rebuilt that won reserve grand champion at Oshkosh in 2001, and Jerry Yagen's P40E that won Grand Champion 2004 Sun n Fun, and Best fighter Oshkosh 2004
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Working...
            X