You Tube 1947 Cleveland Air Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tube 1947 Cleveland Air Races

Part 2 of film highlights of the 1947 National Air Races at Cleveland, Ohio.

These are really kewl...sorry, I don't know how to post a click on link.

Brian

Hey, wait, they are clickly links
    Last edited by supercub; 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM.

Re: You Tube 1947 Cleveland Air Races

There is also a 1948 Pylon Dusters film as well.

I LOVE watching the start of the Thompson and how that little Cobra II gets airborne so quick and squirts out in front of everyone.

Comment

Absolutely Amazing! 64 years later, and we still get to see the Ghost and Race 74 turning the sticks! (next year for 74 I guess)

I'm switching to Kendall, the 2,000 mile motor oil!

Comment

How about that P40Q , never seen that in color. Looks like they used P63 wheels/brakes. What a shame it was lost.

Comment

I've got them both for sale +1932&1938.VHS.See thread on trades & sale stuff.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
            How about that P40Q , never seen that in color. Looks like they used P63 wheels/brakes. What a shame it was lost.
            All accounts in books say it was polished metal with white wings. That sure is bright yellow for 'white'. :-)

Poor Skip. Got a fast airplane, but that was the one year that the Cleveland folks had all the 'group' races...one for the P-51's, one for P-63's, one for P-38's....and then the Thompson. And Skip qualified too slow for the Thompson, but as a P-40, he didn't fit into any of the other race classes.

Solution? Sneak into the Thompson.....

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
              I'm actually posting from work so I can't loook at the videos in detail, where in the videos was the P-40Q? I scanned them quickly and never saw it.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                I'm actually posting from work so I can't loook at the videos in detail, where in the videos was the P-40Q? I scanned them quickly and never saw it.

Spacegrrrl
                Towards the end of the first segment...as they are talking about Kendall...the 2000 mile oil. They never show a full-body shot...just the front end with the cowling off and the mechs twisting wrenches. Unless you know what the P-40Q looks like, you kind of have to know what it is you're looking at.

Comment

Was that the P-40Q at about 8:45 - 8:50 of the first video?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                    Was that the P-40Q at about 8:45 - 8:50 of the first video?
                    Yes, that was it. I think I have a color picture or two somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and upload.

As a side note, in Part 2 they said Cobra II was a P-63. It was not, it was a P-39. I don't want people to start getting confused 65 years later.
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Great old vids...thanks! The Mantz video is great...imagine chilling 875 gallons of fuel to 30 degrees and flying four hours at 67 inches mp...wonder what the winds aloft were to average 460 mph?

Love the P-80 race and the JATO takeoff....but most of all, seeing the planes and the people who now of course are legends.....
                      Last edited by Coyote Chris; 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                        Great old vids...thanks! The Mantz video is great...imagine chilling 875 gallons of fuel to 30 degrees and flying four hours at 67 inches mp....
                        Don't forget about the nice suit!

Here is the photo of the P-40Q. This is not my photo and I can not recall where I got it. I have had it for years. If this is your photo and you want it removed please post and it will be done. Wayne, feel free to remove the photo since I have no idea where it comes from.
                        Attached Files
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Girls were representing as well.

I found this on ebay.....because Ruth Johnson looked cute holding that trophy in the video.

Comment

I am not positive, but isn't that the same Ruth Johnson who had the flying service at Chino for so many years in the hangar that eventually became Aero Sport and then Rudolph's Flying Circus?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                              I am not positive, but isn't that the same Ruth Johnson who had the flying service at Chino for so many years ...
                              ...yep, that's her...

Ruth and Warren Johnson started "Ruth Johnson Flying Service" in the west half of the AeroSport hanger sometime in the 60's, then in 1969, moved into the next hangar east of AeroSport.

Tallichets MARC then started in the west end of the AeroSport hanger for a while, then moved into the last hanger to the east.

Rudolphs Flying Service was in the next hangar west of AeroSport.

Sledge

Comment

Working...
                              X