Me-262 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me-262 Report

The Me-262 may fly again in four-weeks time.

The landing gear shall be in the fixed position with false actuators.
    The pilot says this will be noisy as the cockpit is just over the gear wells and the skin under his seat is 0.040

The newly designed actuators are soon to be delivered from the machinist, thou the project team is not going to wait for that to fly.

Yesterday one of the engines was run-up and tested for vibrations in the maintenance cradle, extreamly loud engine.

The Me-262 appears to be mostly complete airframe wise, minus canopy and rear seat. The gear and fuel tanks not yet installed, and still more wiring to be installed and pluged in.

The landing gear system will develope some upgrades:
    Hydraulic pump added to each engine
    Back-up electric hydraulic pump
    Pneumatic pressure tank to blow a back-up hydraulic reservoir
    Circuit breaker in the cockpit

Assuming all goes well is the ME-262 going to be on the ramp (or even cooler..in the AIR) at Reno 2003?

Just curious
    Don

Comment

Seeing it fly or on the ground *anywhere* would be very cool... thanks for the updates on this project Mayo...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I do not believe, without asking, from what I've seen that this Me-262 will make enouth flights in time to risk a cross country to Reno. Enough cool stuff to fill an armada of semi's could make it to Reno. (fuselage's, wings, jigs, engine's and 262 parts galore)
        Thou, seeing the financial issues they now are facing with paying for the new actuators, I dout Reno is in the budget.
        An increadible presentation this could be, Me-262 Project, vary impressive indeed.

Comment

Yes indeed!

Originally posted by Mayo
          I do not believe, without asking, from what I've seen that this Me-262 will make enouth flights in time to risk a cross country to Reno. Enough cool stuff to fill an armada of semi's could make it to Reno. (fuselage's, wings, jigs, engine's and 262 parts galore)
          Thou, seeing the financial issues they now are facing with paying for the new actuators, I dout Reno is in the budget.
          An increadible presentation this could be, Me-262 Project, vary impressive indeed.
          I hope things are moving along smoothly and that they put their money where the ME-262 is...Unless they need another sponsor that they know would be there in Reno...then by all means take the Truck....
          Randy Rheinschild
          www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

The airplane would have to fly some preliminary time off before it would be able to venture out of it's FAA designated test area. Typically it is 40 hours.
            Chris...

Comment

Last night I attended a local business networking meeting that was held...guess where...on the ramp outside the hangers that these two beautiful aircraft are being built in. What a treat! The staff spent nearly 2 hours sharing the history of the project, the current status, and answering questions from the 60 or so attendees. I was told that this was the first time people not directly connected with the project were allowed that close to the airplanes and to photgraph them, and we took care not to abuse those priveleges. Whatever financial challenges the team may have, there is certainly no lack of enthusiasm! They are expecting to fly again in late August and host the first "open to the public" flight later this fall. They encouraged us to keep an eye on their website, www.stormbirds.com, for updates and info, and said that these will come more quickly once their webmaster returns from the hot and sandy place he is currently "visiting". All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Comment

Working...
              X