Wings over wine country update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings over wine country update

Just couldn't lurk around here anymore. Had to register & post about the Wings over wine country show here in Santa Rosa this weekend. It was a good teaser for Reno this year in a couple weeks. Brian flew another spectacular smoke routine in Argonaut. Unfortunately it was the only Fury on hand but worth the price of admission alone! Plenty of other big iron there though. P51s on hand and doing lots of fly-by passes were speedball Alice, merlin's magic, comfortably numb, red dog XII, lady Alice, and sparky. Will went up with them in Steadfast and thrilled everyone with his screamin FAST LOW photo passes (as always Will you are quite the showman and a true class act). Dan circled above until all the mustangs and the yak had landed. He then put on a magnificent aerobatic show in speedball Alice.

Probably one of the more memorable moments was after the show was over as I was killing time waiting for the wife to pick me up. I see Brian Sanders and Dan Vance go walking down the Tarmac toasted the parking lot. Soon they were walking back and Dan had his flightsuit. I thought this had to be good so I watched as they pushed Argo back and Dan strapped in as Brian stood on the wing going over some sort of procedures or the like for a few minutes. Wish I could have been a fly in that cockpit. Anyway, Dan took off and my wife arrived. Can't wait til Reno!!! Gonna be a good year for the Sea Furies!!!

Re: Wings over wine country update

Sounds like a good time, welcome to the board!

Comment

Here are a couple bad iphone photos from the weekend...One is Steadfast as Will Whiteside is getting strapped in for his Airshow performance and the other is of Will getting ready in another of his flight duties for the weekend the P-63.
      Last edited by johnnyrace; 10-08-2011, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I shot a whole pile of pics yesterday.

I think that pretty well covers it.

Will

Comment

I don't know if I've ever met a more humble man who was a pilot than our Will Whiteside!

The guy has a ton of accomplishments, is maybe one of the best sticks out there, but you'd sure never know it... if you didn't know it... know what I mean?

Few and far between.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Rad- Those are some sweet pics! Thanks for sharing.

Wayne- Yes I do know what you mean. I once met will by accident at the R/C model flying field. Guy comes up and asks if there is more room in the sky to fly his model. We introduced ourselves and Wow it's Will Whiteside! Told him what a big fan I was and we ended up talking for about a half hour and exchangng e-mails.

Alot of other guys at the field who fly R/C are full of themselves and unfriendly (and they fly toy planes). It was like running into Jeff Gordon at an R/C track and him being the coolest cat there.

Comment

Who owns the P-63 and the A-26? Where are they based? Both look beautiful.
              Brian

Comment

I'm not sure who owns the P63 or the A26. There were 3 A26s there, I'm pretty sure 2 of them don't fly, but this one does.

Will

Comment

The polished aluminum A-26 that was there is based in Santa Rosa and does fly...the silver and blue one in your photos is a recent purchase and also is based and will fly from Santa Rosa... The third one that was there is a static aircraft for the museum there...Regarding Will Whiteside...He is a good friend and everything you guys said is spot on...A good guy and a class act...I think the P-63 is from the Planes of Fame
                  Last edited by johnnyrace; 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

The P-63 is from the Palm Springs Air Museum. I was there last April and their mechanics had their Mustang torn down to do a long overdue annual (had not flown in 15 years) as well as a long list of other items to get her back in the air. One of the mechanics told me that the P-63 had already been gone through and it was the P-51s turn. He made it sound like both planes would be out and about more. Nice museum if you havn't been i recommend a visit if you are out that way.

Comment

Are there any video clips availlable from the Steadfast display at the Airshow? I didn't found such footage on youtube.

Comment

Excellent Pics. the pilot of the Cal Fire OV-10 is Patty Wagstaff. Here are a couple of mine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X