Rare Bear driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Bear driver

I know S. Dawson is the primary pilot for Rare Bear this year, but was wondering if there was ever any press release or statements from the Bear camp as to what led to the change? I saw on the Bear website that J. Penney is the back up pilot, but thought I remembered hearing about JP retiring or moving on, or some rumblings of that nature. Is this just one of those 'all good things must come to an end' situations or was there some upheavel (again, read about rumors), or just simply the winds of change? I'm just being curious as RB and JP are my fav combination.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Tommy

Re: Rare Bear driver

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
    I know S. Dawson is the primary pilot for Rare Bear this year, but was wondering if there was ever any press release or statements from the Bear camp as to what led to the change? I saw on the Bear website that J. Penney is the back up pilot, but thought I remembered hearing about JP retiring or moving on, or some rumblings of that nature. Is this just one of those 'all good things must come to an end' situations or was there some upheavel (again, read about rumors), or just simply the winds of change? I'm just being curious as RB and JP are my fav combination.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Tommy
    Hey Tommy, I am sure someone who is in the know will probably chime in on this, but from what I saw at PRS I think JP will still be involved with the team maybe more on a advisory level, he did take Bear up a couple times that week for test flights as did Stuart Dawson, I talked to Stuart and he did confirm he would be the pilot this year, not to worry Stuart is a more than capable pilot he has done well with his Sea Fury and handles the F7F Tigercat around the pylons very well which from what I have been told is no easy task for any experianced race pilot, but from my own observation there I would say JP will be sticking around for awhile, I hope this helps.

Comment

Alright, there has got to be more than one person with information on this subject. Is this topic taboo or secretive? I really thought several of the "in the know" people would have chimed in with inside information - especially this close to the RAR. Last chance to puff your chest out and show off what you know, that I don't know.
      Thanks again.
      Tommy

Comment

On my iPhone so pardon the typing errors. I'm certainly not on the inside but afaik Stewart will be the number one pilot and jp wll be number two. John and Stewart are very good friends this I do know.
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Dawson Flew the pants off that Tigercat last year. Was very fun to watch.

I am a big J.P. Fan and would love to see him remain in the cockpit, but I am excited to see what a new pilot will bring to the table.

I think we all know how many times the Bear has tried to ruin John's day, I imagine that a small part of him will enjoy watching from the ground this time.

Comment

I too am an big JP fan as well as a Stu Dawson fan. At the annual "Penney Party" at his and his wonderful wife's home in Colorado last winter, (which Stuart and his wife also attended) John gave a talk to the crew in his hangar at Front Range Apt (FTG) I can't remember what he said but it was along the lines that it was Stu's turn and that he would support him to help him win the gold..

Again, this isn't really "insideairraing.com" information, it is just what it is.. If you were looking for some sort of "Air Racing Tonight" hype.. I don't think there is any.

Go Bear, Go Stu, Go Will, Go "the kid" (Hinton) GO FURIAS!!! (got a special place in my heart for the ever gracious Matt Jackson!)
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Nope Wayne, I wasn't digging for dirt. All I was interested in was some 411 as to what the general story was. I'm just an airracing fan a couple of thousand miles away. This is my only source for need to know info. I appreciate the feedback all.
              Tommy

Comment

Nope Wayne, I wasn't digging for dirt. All I was interested in was some 411 as to what the general story was. I'm just an airracing fan a couple of thousand miles away. This is my only source for need to know info. I appreciate the feedback all.
                Tommy
                That's cool mx... I'd actually suspect that there's a longing inside Beardriver to be in the cockpit, but, again, he is very good friend of Stu and... it's just Stu's turn I guess.

Going to be interesting, I'd suspect... (complete edjumcated speculation on my part), that JP will get a chance at the sticks for a qual run... It would make sense, whoever is faster, runs on Sunday... ya think???
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

... I'm just being curious as RB and JP are my fav combination. Tommy
                  I have to echo the sentiment. Put a Penney in it.

$
                  "Man was meant to fly -- the earth is for worms!"
                  Martin Caidin

Comment

Alright…Every once in a while I chime in here, sometimes, as is the case now, to provide clarification.

When Rod Lewis offered me the opportunity to be the driver for the “Bear” under his ownership, he asked me who I thought would be the best alternate pilot. No hesitation…I said Stewart Dawson. From the beginning, the plan was for Stew to get checked out as the alternate and to eventually get to race the beast. With all the hang-ups over the last four years leading up to race week, the opportunity never presented itself for Stew to get qualified and proficient. It finally happened this last year, albeit for a total of two flights before the 2010 race week.

Stew and I are the best of buds and this year is his turn. He deserves this opportunity as he has done so very much for Rod and his warbird operation, and I told Rod at a meeting last year that I would like for Stew to get his chance to race the “Bear” and come away with a Gold victory for the team. With Dave Cornell back on board along with the most capable crew this plane has ever seen, and the long awaited improvements that have been made this year, the “Bear” is finally poised to fly faster than it ever has and Stew is very capable of driving it to those new speeds.

As has had to be said once before, I never did say the “R” word. I feel that I am still on my game and will be privileged if the opportunity to win for the team again comes about.

Campaigning the “Bear” has always been a team effort and Stew will drive this seductive bitch this year better than any other race pilot out there that I could ever work in partnership with. He and I have worked very closely together, we talk several times a week, and I have shared with him all that I know about how to drive the beast effectively. More than any other unlimited pilot out there, Stewart Dawson is best equipped to step in this year for this team’s effort.

John Penney, “Rare Bear” Team member

Comment

Thanks for the info John. You are a gentleman and it's been amazing watching how you fly that wonderful plane. I look forward to seeing you at Reno this year and many more to come.
                      Marc

Comment

Yes, thank you very much Mr. Penney! I wasn't expecting "inside" information, but certainly not complaining. I appreciate the reponse and clearing up rumors or misinformation that may have come around. Hope to see you back in the Bear cockpit taking Gold soon.
                        Tommy

P.S. Not that anyone cares, but as I said in a previous post, I am just a RB and JP fan that didn't quite understand what happened with the driver change. If you can see my avatar, that's me holding the '07 Gold Trophy in the old Bear cave (Thank you Troy Ervin - forever indebted to you). I didn't just crawl out of the woodwork trying to stir something up. Thanks guys!

Comment

Mr. Penney, Thank you, sir for the insight on Team Rare Bear!

Last evening I was adding up the all the costs for the various reservations to get Reno and stay there 4 nights, and thinking about all the stuff that needs to be prepared to be away from work and home for those days... I just started to let my mind ask, "Is it really worth it to go this year?"

This morning, all doubts are gone having heard The Bear is "poised to fly faster than it ever has"

Hang the expense! Go Bear!

Comment

@N22252
                            " I just started to let my mind ask, "Is it really worth it to go this year?"

And that is not bringing a plane to race. Thank God for guys like Rod who can afford to come and entertain us. It's almost like making the Human Cannonball pay to get into the circus.

Comment

Indeed, thanks John! I was reluctant to "put words in your mouth" but did remember your very generous talk at the hangar and wanted to clear any rumors from the air.. Thanks for dropping by and REALLY clearing the air!

Hoping you guys can keep the bird in the pits this year!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X