Lovelock NV F-86??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovelock NV F-86??

I was just looking at Google Earth and looks like an F-86 sitting on the ramp at Lovelock NV. Anyone know anything about this jet?
    Brian

Re: Lovelock NV F-86??

It DOES look like a Saber.

But take note that you are looking back in time 5 years. Note the satellite image date on the lower left of the screen (red arrow):

Makes you wonder if it's still there.

Comment

I wonder if it's still there. There's one up at Jackson (Westover Airport), has been there for years, no engine. I believe they got it from Stockton and it was used in the movie Raid on Entebbe, which was filmed partially at Stockton back in the 70's. I wonder if that one at Lovelock was going to be used for display...ie on a pole or ??
      Brian

Comment

THE AIRCRAFT YOU SEE IS A MIG. IT WAS BOUGHT BY A LOCAL RANCHER THERE, WHO NEVER COMPLETED HIS FLIGHT TRAINING TO FLY IT. I BELIEVE THE AIRCRAFT WAS PURCHASED FROM AVIATION CLASSICS IN RENO IN THE MID-NINETYS. IT IS IN A DERILICT STATE,
        AND WOULD TAKE SOME TIME TO MAKE AIRWORTHY AGAIN.
        THERE IS A LOCKHEED TWIN LIKE AMELIA'S AT THE YEARINGTON,NV
        AIRPORT AND A C-119 CARGO/FIREBOMBER AT THE BATTLE MOUNTAIN
        AIRPORT, ALSO BOTH IN DERILICT STATES OF UNFLIGHTWORTHY DISMAY.
        CHEERS-GHOST

Comment

Also there is an F-111 that can be seen from the freeway in Winnemucca, NV.

It has been there for years, and have no reason why it's there. It should still be there. I saw it last 3 months ago.

Comment

Looking at Google Earth, it appears there's an F-111, C-119 and 3 other airplanes that appear to be jets near the freeway next to Battle Mountain Airport. Maybe someones start of a museum there. My old instructor back in the 60's was airport manager there and flew B-26 air tankers from Battle Mountain.
            Brian

Comment

If you look at google street view, it's clearly a MIG.

Comment

We see the F-111 and the T-33 in Battle Mountain when we drive by each year.

Last edited by DWYER; 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM. Reason: ADD
                My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

F 111

I was told that the F 111 suffered a catastrophic wing box crack in flight and made an emergency landing. An on board sensor triggered a master caution and when the landed they discovered the crack.....sadly it will never fly again, id love to (but never will) see one of those in civilian hands!

Comment

Intersting info there Jet... Thanks.

Is the wing box the set of gears that that make the wing sweep? It would seem that could be fixed easy enough. just need the $$$.

Sad though.. That F-111 will sit in Battle mtn, rotting away in the Nevada sun. It would make a nice static or museum piece some place.

I wonder if one were to stop at the Battle mtn air port and inquire about it if they could get access to it...

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      Looking at Google Earth, it appears there's an F-111, C-119 and 3 other airplanes that appear to be jets near the freeway next to Battle Mountain Airport. Maybe someones start of a museum there. My old instructor back in the 60's was airport manager there and flew B-26 air tankers from Battle Mountain.
                      Brian
                      One looks to be an F-4 Phantom, and the thin swept wing one looks like it could be a Mig maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                        Intersting info there Jet... Thanks.

Is the wing box the set of gears that that make the wing sweep? It would seem that could be fixed easy enough. just need the $$$.

Sad though.. That F-111 will sit in Battle mtn, rotting away in the Nevada sun. It would make a nice static or museum piece some place.

I wonder if one were to stop at the Battle mtn air port and inquire about it if they could get access to it...
                        the wing box is the center section of the ac that the pivot points for the wing reside. here is a link to a PDF about the stress problems.
                        dspace.dsto.defence.gov.au/dspace/bitstream/.../DSTO-TN-0271%20PR.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                          Is the wing box the set of gears that that make the wing sweep?..

In a nutshell, the wingbox, or wing carry-through box is a main structural component of an airplane that both wings attach to, and in turn is attached to the fuselage (or visa-versa). Most conventional fixed wing aircraft have center wing boxes. The wing box may pass over (C-130), under (Learjet) or through the fuselage (B-29).

In some aircraft like certain passenger airliners the wing box and center section of the fuselage are built as one component, with front and rear fuselage sections attached to it as well as the main landing gear struts. The wing box is built very sturdy to take massive loads induced by these items.

In the F-111, F-14 and B-1 the wing box also has to support the pivot hinges. The mechanism that moves the wings may be located inside or outside of the wingbox. The first swing-wing plane to fly, the Bell X-5 used a screw-drive I believe, located behind the wing box.

In this image the left end of the wing box structure can be seen colored in green, protruding from the left side of the F-111's fuselage:

And in this historic photo I outlined a portion of the left side of the F-111's wing box with a red line:

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I drove by Battle Mountain a couple weeks ago, the C119 and F111 are still there, the T33 and the F4 are gone.

Comment

[QUOTE
                              THERE IS A LOCKHEED TWIN LIKE AMELIA'S AT THE YERINGTON,NV
                              AIRPORT [/QUOTE]

I'm gonna take a guess in that its a Beech 18 just a W.A.G.

Comment

Working...
                              X