FAA Refuses Ultimate Air Racing Championship Airshow Approval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA Refuses Ultimate Air Racing Championship Airshow Approval

Controversial Racing Program Continues to Demonstrate Inability To Certify Safety Of Program The Unlimited Air Racing Championships that ANN profiled| Published: Sat, Aug 13, 2011 | Aero-News Network
    Last edited by Dialtapper; 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM.

Re: FAA Refuses Unlimited Air Racing Championship Airshow Approval

Chris, just for clarity's sake, as they sometimes do, ANN has their headline and references in the article written incorrectly.. Their headline and story content calling it "Unlimited Air Racing Championship" should read "Ultimate Air Racing Championship", NOT affiliated with the Unlimited Championship Races held at RENO...

Editor/Publisher Jim Campbell is a friend of mine but... Sloppy editing Jim! and this is not the first time we've had links to articles from them that were a bit.... "off"...

Personally, I'd rather not see this venue succeed.. it's too scary!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I was going to post that yesterday, but I wanted to include a link to the previous thread on this topic to bring new readers up-to-date and could not find it.

...I just located it: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=8897

I noticed the "Unlimited" title too, and it had me confused for a moment until I began to read the text and recognized the subject matter:

"The Unlimited Air Racing Championships that ANN profiled several weeks ago, featuring some pilots with troubled backgrounds and histories, appears to be stuck in 'idle.'

FAA Spokesperson, Ian Gregor, has confirmed that the UARC request for approval of an aggressive multi-plane, multi-obstacle, air racing platform could not be proven to be safe enough to meet the FAA's required standards. "First and foremost, we need to insure a safe event... we put eight inspectors on this, very experienced people, and we have been unable to approve their plan for a scheduled race in Camarillo, California. We have worked hard on this program and given it our best effort... but safety has to come first.""

Click on Dialtapper's link for further details.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I hate misleading thread titles. Made my heart jump for a second!!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          Chris, just for clarity's sake, as they sometimes do, ANN has their headline and references in the article written incorrectly.. Their headline and story content calling it "Unlimited Air Racing Championship" should read "Ultimate Air Racing Championship", NOT affiliated with the Unlimited Championship Races held at RENO...

Editor/Publisher Jim Campbell is a friend of mine but... Sloppy editing Jim! and this is not the first time we've had links to articles from them that were a bit.... "off"...

Personally, I'd rather not see this venue succeed.. it's too scary!
          Ya Wayne, I just copied and pasted the title of the article. I should of changed it to:

Wanna’be Fake Cheesy A$$ Not Air Racing Shut Down by the FAA Before They Kill Someone and Give Real Air Racing a Bad Name.

Just my option, I could be wrong.

Comment

Please, please, please change that title before you cause some heart attacks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
              Please, please, please change that title before you cause some heart attacks!
              I tried Betty, it seems you can edit your post but not the title.

Comment

Maybe Wayne should kill the thread then it could be started over with a new title (if at all).

Comment

Just sent the publisher a "nastygram" about getting names correct when breaking a story. Don't need any cardiac arrests this close to the NCAR.

Comment

Sorry net went down right after my initial response... Lemme see if I can figure out how to edit title with iPhone
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Sorry net went down right after my initial response... Lemme see if I can figure out how to edit title with iPhone
                      Step 1: Throw phone away.
                      Step 2: Get an Android.

Just jokin, I phones are nice devices. I couldnt resist the poke.

Comment

Re: FAA Refuses Ultimate Air Racing Championship Airshow Approval

Boy, Wayne, you weren't kidding when you said the guys over at ANN are getting a little sloppy with the article titles. Note this latest one related to the OSAMA raid:

"Pakistan May Have Allowed Chinese Access To Stealth Chinook"

In the article text it refers to the heli's name as "CHINOOK" again, along with the fact that a tail rotor broke off of it.

When was the last time you saw a Chinook with a tail rotor?

... Boeing CH-47 Chinook ...

Since the crash was revealed months ago, the stealth-helicopter that crashed and left it's tail rotor on the outside of the compound wall has been repeatedly described as a modified Blackhawk:

... CH-60 Blackhawk ...

No author name for the article is given, but whoever wrote it didn't do their homework, nor did the editor and/or proofreader. I think he/they got mixed up with the tragic story of the Chinook full of Navy Seals that was shot down just recently.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

And don't send them a note about correcting their info'posts cuz they will write back with something nasty.
                          Betty

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                            Step 1: Throw phone away.
                            Step 2: Get an Android.

Just jokin, I phones are nice devices. I couldnt resist the poke.
                            I don't really hate my iPhone but there are things about it that I'm not at all fond of... take Steve Jobs hardon with the makers of Flash Animation.. if you're in a pickle and need to know something quick and try to find it with iPhone... better hope they are not a flash based site... (happened to me once trying to find someplace I needed to be)

Then there's the painfully low volume level when in speaker mode...I could go on..

The android came out shortly after I finally took the plunge for a "smart" phone... I really like Cingular.. yea.. OK.. ATT's rollover minutes and would probably not leave them for that reason (only).. but when this phone dies, (battery going south now, just short of two years) my next one will probably be an android..

Baaaack... on topic...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              Boy, Wayne, you weren't kidding when you said the guys over at ANN are getting a little sloppy with the article titles
                              While I do consider Jim (editor/publisher and an indisputable kooky guy) a friend, I've taken him to task about the accuracy of his reporters work at times...

If you analyze ANN's content, it's largely rewritten articles taken from various news agencies. "So and So is reporting", and then essentially copying the given story, I guess this skirts the copyright and plagiarism laws and it's been a successful business model for Jim, and for that, I admire the fact that he's successful and runs a profitable web publication (wish this publication was) but as anyone who's ever worked with me, or had me rub my heel into them for accuracy and not publishing personal crap... this story just smacks of National Aviation Inquirer with the bad news about the participants.. Tough to swallow the Chris Rounds Julie Clark fued... they used to be great friends. But what does that have to do with the price of cheese in RENO??

boy.... is that one long run on sentence or what!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X