Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to: Galloping Ghost

Hi folks,

I'm a great race fan from Germany and maybe anybody can solve this misunderstanding :

On GG site is declared that the engine is making about 3800 hp, and I think this is not possible without ADI for charge cooling, right?

Link below (GG with removed cowling) imho shows a engine with intercooler and not a typical ADI injected "tube"-type Merlin like Strega and others.

Is it practicable to use intercooler and ADI, or has GG no ADI ?

Many thanks and regards,
    Gibbs

Re: Question to: Galloping Ghost

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm a great race fan from Germany and maybe anybody can solve this misunderstanding :

On GG site is declared that the engine is making about 3800 hp, and I think this is not possible without ADI for charge cooling, right?

Link below (GG with removed cowling) imho shows a engine with intercooler and not a typical ADI injected "tube"-type Merlin like Strega and others.

Many thanks and regards,
    Gibbs
    ADI can be, and is, used on non tube motors. To my knowledge the motor on GG is also not an Allison rod motor, so it won't hold the power levels of Strega etc. The theory is that by removing the scoop the aerodynamics are improved enough to run 500mph at 100 inches or less. We'll see if that ever actually works....

Comment

Hi folks,

Many thanks and regards,
      Gibbs
      That number is just an estimate, and should be taken as such.

Comment

Ah....yep, I'm beginning to understand what Jimmy indicated when talking about "relatively conservative" engine (story on Sport Aviation magazine).

90 inches are enough for going to gold...

Nevertheless GG is an absolutely outstanding aircraft and I keep fingers crossed for the whole ghost crew - maybe we'll see the best race ever.

Very unhappy that can't see races live, but thank god there are youtube!

LG
        Gibbs

Comment

Gibbs,

I notice your new to the forum and from Germany. Where abouts?

If you ever make it to the Reno Air Races, you'll have to come visit Section 3. A motley crew of air race fans.

Hans
          Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Hi Hans,

nice pics! What's the story behind this "Orange County Crew"?

If this maybe , send PM.

LG
            Gibbs
            (from Schwaeb. Gmuend, near Stuttgart)

Comment

Noy you have done it and opened a can of worms!!LOL better pour a few Hafbraus! Hefeeizen for me!
              Last edited by eldon2101; 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Hi Hans,

nice pics! What's the story behind this "Orange County Crew"?

If this maybe , send PM.

LG
                Gibbs
                (from Schwaeb. Gmuend, near Stuttgart)
                LG,

Ah Stuttgart, the home to couple great car manufactures and good bier. Been there on several occasions for business. Section 3 is a group of dedicated air race fans where everybody is welcome.

Heres one link.

Section 3 Reno Air Races, Reno, Nevada. 741 likes. Section 3 of Reno Air Races were we come to cheer and have a good time.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-12-2011, 05:34 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Desertdawg;89797]LG,

Ah Stuttgart, the home to couple great car manufactures and good bier. Been there on several occasions for business. Section 3 is a group of dedicated air race fans where everybody is welcome.

....And the birthplace to the 'Blonde Knight', Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann was born in Stuttgart in April 1922
                  Rampking

Comment

Working...
                  X