Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America

I saw this today on the FAA site.** Report created 8/8/2011 Record 33 **
    ************************************************** ******************************

IDENTIFICATION
    Regis#: 991R Make/Model: P51D Description: NORTH AMERICAN P-51D
    Date: 08/06/2011 Time: 1359

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
    Damage: Minor

City: OKLAHOMA CITY State: OK Country: US

DESCRIPTION
    AIRCRAFT LANDED GEAR UP, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
    # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 1352Z 17012G18KT 10SM FEW260 32/17 A2989

OTHER DATA
    Activity: Pleasure Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: OKLAHOMA CITY, OK (SW15) Entry date: 08/08/2011

Re: Miss America

Uncle!

Comment

Originally posted by Airracer75 View Post
      I saw this today on the FAA site.** Report created 8/8/2011 Record 33 **
      ************************************************** ******************************
      Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
      Damage: Minor

08/08/2011
      For what it's Worth; In the eyes of the FAA, the difference between an "Accident" and "Incident" is the extent ($$$) of the damage. Since they have listed this under "Incident" with "Minor" damage, I hope it was just the tail wheel that retracted on landing.

Comment

I found a strange you tube video that said the right gear malfunctioned and she had to belly land. All it showed was some pictures of the plane while in the hangar, no video or pics of the damage and I don't know how reliable this is. I hope Reno is still in the cards. She has been flying so well the past few years.

Most importantly, glad everyone is okay.
        Last edited by PowerByPackard; 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I just watched that video, and it does show damage to the right hand clam shell door, but that's all. No prop damage, no doghouse damage...Can't see the tail wheel area in the vid. If that video really shows all the damage then it definitely was not a gear up landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            I just watched that video, and it does show damage to the right hand clam shell door, but that's all. No prop damage, no doghouse damage...Can't see the tail wheel area in the vid. If that video really shows all the damage then it definitely was not a gear up landing.
            You're right. Given the description I was looking for something a lot more significant than that. Thanks for the catch.

Comment

Good opportunity to change the paint back to the old scheme.
              My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
                Good opportunity to change the paint back to the old scheme.
                I guess I hadn't been paying attention, how is it painted now? I would be seriously criminal if its any different that how its's been for years and years!

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                  I guess I hadn't been paying attention, how is it painted now? I would be seriously criminal if its any different that how its's been for years and years!

Spacegrrrl
                  It's still painted in the same stars and stripes scheme it has worn since Dr Hisey owned it. The original stars and stripes scheme it wore when Howie Keef owned it seems to be the preferred scheme between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    It's still painted in the same stars and stripes scheme it has worn since Dr Hisey owned it. The original stars and stripes scheme it wore when Howie Keef owned it seems to be the preferred scheme between the two.
                    You shouldn't tamper with perfection.

Comment

The original paint scheme had a darker blue. But I think the biggest problem with the newer paint would be the tail. It looked much better before.
                      My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

Originally posted by DWYER View Post
                        The original paint scheme had a darker blue. But I think the biggest problem with the newer paint would be the tail. It looked much better before.
                        No, the original paint scheme had medium...almost 'turquoise' color to the blue.

It was changed to Navy blue when Connover Aero in New Hampshire bought it from the Smythe family in 1989. It continued in the Navy blue paint scheme until the gear up landing at Reno in 2002.

When it was rebuilt and repainted, it was back to near how the original turquoise color was...just with the wavy lines instead of the starburst on the tail.

Comment

Some where I have a book that shows a picture of Miss America based at Edwards AFB. If memory serves me correctly, she was still owned by the govt. It always stuck out in my mind that the Air Force would have painted an airplane like that. I think this was back in the early 60's. Anyone have any additional info about her early days.
                          Brian

Comment

She was race #19 before she was #11 when raced by Dave Allender as the original N5452V, Wayfarers Club Lady at Fox Field in 1965 & 1966.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              Some where I have a book that shows a picture of Miss America based at Edwards AFB. If memory serves me correctly, she was still owned by the govt. It always stuck out in my mind that the Air Force would have painted an airplane like that. I think this was back in the early 60's. Anyone have any additional info about her early days.
                              Brian
                              I would like to see that photo, because I think you're confusing with a different aircraft. That airframe was cleared off of the Government register in 1958 or something like that.

In 1966-67 it was owned by Robert Cleaves and Dave Allender who raced it as #19 Wayfarer's Club Lady. It was white with maroon trim.

In 1968, Cleaves repainted it in the red, white, and blue paint scheme.

Howie Keefe purchased the aircraft in 1969 and renamed it Miss America, tweaking the paint scheme only briefly.

Comment

Working...
                              X