"Red Tails"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Red Tails"

Sorry -- more OT from me. This time it's re the upcoming cgi-fest from Lucasfilms about the Tuskegee Airmen:

Re: "Red Tails"

I do hope they use some real aircraft. There are enough of them for the close ups. Use CGI when you need more than 3(?).

Comment

I'm probably wrong or just being picky but i remember seeing an interview with one of the Tuskegee airmen and he said they were given p-51 b/c models to fly. But i noticed in the preview they were all d models. Am i wrong?

Comment

I don't know why they bother using P-40's in the beginning if they're going to screw up and use -D models in the rest.

Although, to be honest, it doesn't look bad. And isn't this CGJ's second Tuskegee movie?
        Last edited by race9; 08-06-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I really didnt want to be negative about this movie, but I am not going to see it right away after seeing the trailer....I will let you guys see it first and tell me I am wrong about it....the CGI is cartoonish and the script in the trailer is full of cliches....this is an important story and I have to wonder if maybe Steven Spielberg could have done it justice. I will wait instead for the IMAX documentary on Air Racing.

Comment

Not trying to defend or justify anything but... I believe P-51Ds were used due to the scarcity of the B/C. There are what, around 6 flying B/Cs vs 100+ Ds. If three real (non CGI) planes are used in the movie that would be 1/2 the flying B/C population. Difficult to make happen. But, go to any major airshow and you probably have enough Ds for the movie.

Scarcity is the reason why you see a Lockheed Hudson at the end of "The Great Raid" rather than a P-61. I'm okay with that. If a TIE Fighter were used, I would not feel the same.

In my book, using what you can to tell the story is okay, but completely rewriting the story is not. I hope that has not occurred here.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

There are those that nitpick minor hardware issues to death in movies but I am not one of them. I would much rather see real P-51 Ds used than CGI P-51Bs. The important thing is this story that needs to be told.

Comment

From the preview, it looks like all the flying scenes are going to be CGI.

Comment

Originally posted by race9 View Post
                  And isn't this CGJ's second Tuskegee movie?
                  Yup. He was A-train in the first one.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I know that Ed Shipley and some of the other guys flying flew over Skywalker Ranch in some mustangs so they could record the sounds. Also Shipley has posted on ASB.tv a few things about how they have really listened to them when they came back and told them to fix things.

It is hollywood. There is going to have to be that part of the movie that makes us roll our eyes or question the authenticity or people would not go see it. (The Blind Side was a great movie but the story was a lot different than the real thing) A big screen movie will never completely satisfy those that are passionate about the planes and the history.

Comment

As long as the CGI is better than what was in Fly Boys, I'll be happy!
                      Tony

Comment

It is my understanding that cast and crew were also taken up so they could experience the real thing.

LP

Comment

I hate to admit it, but I'm looking forward to the mashup that some video hacker will no doubt throw together with bits and pieces from Red Tails and that other little Lucas effects project, Star Wars (the real one). Mustangs attack the Death Star! Han, Chewy and Luke get dubbed over the Airmen!

Don't get cocky, kid!

I got a bad feelin about this!

Comment

Working...
                          X