• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chino quest for speed

Arrived a little early, not too crowded yet, will upload pics later

Re: Chino quest for speed

Originally posted by bikenutty View Post
    Arrived a little early, not too crowded yet, will upload pics later
    Forgive the ignorance, but what's going on today that you are out for? Is there a speed record attempt?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
      Forgive the ignorance, but what's going on today that you are out for? Is there a speed record attempt?
      Calling All Race Fans!!

Living History Event featuring "Quest for Speed" and a chance to win a ride in a T-33!!!

Two of the Original "Chino Boys" Rob Patterson and John Maloney will join fellow racers Sherman Smoot, Will Whiteside and Steven Hinton Jr. in discussing everything AIR RACE! These pilots will be ALL be competing at this year's Reno Air Races. Don't miss this opportunity to hear them talk about races of the past, the aircraft they fly now, and their plans for this year's races!

Date & Time: Saturday, August 6th, 2011 at 10:00 a.m.

Member Raffle Ride at Noon!

Members must be present to win!!!

Comment

So Czech Mate is going to make it? Great!

Comment

Well one could assume that's what he meant but that's not what he said. Given the uncertainty of CM making the call this year, it could mean that Smooter is racing something else this year.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by BaylesScott View Post
            Calling All Race Fans!!

Living History Event featuring "Quest for Speed" and a chance to win a ride in a T-33!!!

Two of the Original "Chino Boys" Rob Patterson and John Maloney will join fellow racers Sherman Smoot, Will Whiteside and Steven Hinton Jr. in discussing everything AIR RACE! These pilots will be ALL be competing at this year's Reno Air Races. Don't miss this opportunity to hear them talk about races of the past, the aircraft they fly now, and their plans for this year's races!

Date & Time: Saturday, August 6th, 2011 at 10:00 a.m.

Member Raffle Ride at Noon!

Members must be present to win!!!
            Thank you for the information. I remembered reading on the Strega site that they were hoping to make a speed record attempt in August before Reno and I thought this might be it.

Sounds like and awesome event. Can't wait to hear the reports. Would love to know what Sherman has to say about his participation this year.

Comment

If I heard Sherman right he did say that Check Mate would be at Reno this year.

His comments were along the line that the wing was going back together, that they were adding an little more than an inch in length to the propeller blades. But as Billy is famous for saying: "Ask me Monday". We really won't know who will make/can make the races until we see who is, one at Stead, and two is capable of racing.

Willie

Comment

Pics of Sept Fury,

Mr Smoot was very entertaining and they all had great things to say during the question and answer. They ran out of time so I did not get to ask my question "what is the emotion like on race day? Suiting up, getting in the plane, making that last turn into the chute..."

It was interesting to hear about Smoots wing issue, that they didnt know about until they saw a photo of the rear section of the wing buckling. They have that plane traveling so fast that the pressure on the wing moved back and they have to strengthen the rear spar. He said they are hoping to be there (Reno)

It was fantastic, you should have came if you are local! Chino has lots to see.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bikenutty; 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM.

Comment

My son and Mr Whiteside after he autographed my sons Voodoo shirt!

Nice guy that Mr whiteside, he offered my son to get in the cockpit of Voodoo at Reno!! That is cool!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bikenutty View Post
                    Pics of Sept Fury,

Mr Smoot was very entertaining and they all had great things to say during the question and answer. They ran out of time so I did not get to ask my question "what is the emotion like on race day? Suiting up, getting in the plane, making that last turn into the chute..."
                    Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see her back on the ramp. I would love to have heard the answer to that question from any of the racers. That has to be about as adrenaline filled as a person can get.

I read on the Dreadnought FB page that the engine is "hanging up front". Can't wait to have the Sea Furies back out there!!!!
                    Last edited by PowerByPackard; 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I'm really glad to see Sept. Fury is coming back to Reno......however, I hope that she will get her wings re-painted some day. She was a looker in that red dress!

Kevin

Comment

September Fury has always been one of my faves.......really love the Super Sea Fury. Does anyone know what year the wings changed from red to yellow? She really did look best in all red.

Comment

2006 was the first year with baby-poop primer(zinc chromate). Wing was still the 'stock' one.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, primer wings and a gold win trophy.
                            Scotty G

Comment

The primered wings were a product of having Kerch on the team........

Comment

Working...
                              X