Gone West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone West

Skeets Mehrer, owner of Lickety Split, T6, Race 9 lost his life yesterday afternoon in the crash of his Piper Comanche near the Camas WA airport. Skeets was a good friend of many in the aviation and air race community, and will be missed.

Jim Clymer, Crew Chief
    Lickety Split Air Race Team

Re: Gone West

Blue Skies...

Comment

What a character!
      Definitely added some color to the T-6 class.
      Anyone have a picture of their Fun Meter?
      TJ

Comment

So sorry to hear that. Over the years his plane "Lickety Split" was always a favorite for photos.

My condolences go to his family.

Comment

Rest in Peace, Skeets!

My prayers and condolences for the family and crew.

Don

Comment

This one's a hard one. I've known Skeets and all his crew for a long time.
            We've done a lot of fun flying in the SNJs and the Stearmans. Thank you Skeets for the many good memories!!!!

Comment

Blue Skies Skeets. I always looked for the plane at Reno.Thoughts & prayers to family & friends.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Sad Tidings - The passing of Wilbet "Skeets" Mehrer Owner/ Pilot of Lickety Split

In Case you have not heard
                We lost Skeets on 3 August in a plane crash near his home
                Many of us love that Sexy look of T-6 racer Race number 9 Lickety Split and the sexy / fun attitude of the whole crew. He will so be missed!
                Skeets Mehrer, 84, revered as a pilot and collector of World War II airplanes, died Wednesday afternoon when his 1960 Piper Comanche crashed in a field less than a mile northeast of Grove Field.

**merged from The passing of Wilbet "Skeets" Mehrer thread**
                What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
                Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

Sorry I did not catch the Title when I started new thread, sorry again
                  did not quickly find the fun meter, I found this little picture from years gone by . .
                  What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
                  Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

Service is planned Friday, 8/12, 12:30 PM, Lincoln Memorial Funeral Chapel, Portland.

Comment

Re: Sad Tidings - The passing of Wilbet "Skeets" Mehrer Owner/ Pilot of Lickety Split

No problem bajadreamer and thanks for posting the link.

For those interested there is another post titled "Gone West".

**this message and another from subject "Blue Skies Skeets" were merged into the original thread**

Comment

The memorial was a good mix of tall tales and true, of the life and times of Skeets Mehrer. Saw many, many familiar faces and a few not seen for a while. Looked just like the usual gathering in Lickety's pit on any racing day, if you know what I mean.
                        Betty

Barbara, his wife of many years, wishes to keep the race number with the plane. Future?????

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                          The memorial was a good mix of tall tales and true,
                          "Hangar Flying" counts as triple-time in the log book.

And the greater the character, the greater the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
                            The memorial was a good mix of tall tales and true, of the life and times of Skeets Mehrer. Saw many, many familiar faces and a few not seen for a while. Looked just like the usual gathering in Lickety's pit on any racing day, if you know what I mean.
                            Betty

Barbara, his wife of many years, wishes to keep the race number with the plane. Future?????
                            Betty, thanks for being there for all of us. The family out at Camas Airport, mostly around the Lickety hangar (not to mention the amazing Stearman projects which always seemed to be underway) was simply the epitome of Small airport America and getting an invitation to visit there was one of the best things I remember in my life to date!

Hospitality second to none, friends, old and new (brand new sometimes *me, first time out there*) were welcomed with open arms.

I only have managed to make it out a few times over the years, but, some of my best memories are from that airport and Skeets and all who gravitated to him.

I sure hope we are birthing, nurturing and raising more like him.

Blue Skies Skeets!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

One of the stories told was re: his ability to own all those Stearmans, old cars, and other toys. When asked how he could afford them, his reply was that he was still married to his first wife. Brought the house down.
                              She is a treasure!

Comment

Working...
                              X