Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Miss Merced still Flying?

Hi,

Anyone know the current status of Miss Merced (N878M) I saw photos of it some years ago, but seen nothing recently.

Many thanks

Re: Is Miss Merced still Flying?

It may still be flying, but I don't know if it's Miss Merced anymore.

Comment

It's still in Wisconsin. Last seen in 2004 at the Southern Wisconsin Airfest.

Comment

Chris U.K.

Miss Merced Sea Fury was raced by Sherman Cooper from 1969 to 1972 as Race 87. The outboard wing panels were clipped total of 6.5 feet. The aircraft was damaged during a forced landing due to engine failure at Mohave Nov. 13, 72. Frank Sanders aquired the wreckage, and Jim Mott got it from him, and after restoration it was raced as Super Chief by Mott. Sanders had kept the damaged ,clipped outer wing panels, and I did a swap with the outer panels for the Levolor Sea Fury, (N85SF) so I could use the short wings on "Blind Mans Bluff", race 88, in 1987, the first 3350 Sea Fury. In the end, the "Levolor" outer panels wound up on "Argonaut", I believe, and the clipped ones went on "September Fury". Just a bit of trivia, or worthless information, depending on how bored you are while waiting for "Reno".

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by bluffman View Post
          Chris U.K.

Miss Merced Sea Fury was raced by Sherman Cooper from 1969 to 1972 as Race 87. The outboard wing panels were clipped total of 6.5 feet. The aircraft was damaged during a forced landing due to engine failure at Mohave Nov. 13, 72. Frank Sanders aquired the wreckage, and Jim Mott got it from him, and after restoration it was raced as Super Chief by Mott. Sanders had kept the damaged ,clipped outer wing panels, and I did a swap with the outer panels for the Levolor Sea Fury, (N85SF) so I could use the short wings on "Blind Mans Bluff", race 88, in 1987, the first 3350 Sea Fury. In the end, the "Levolor" outer panels wound up on "Argonaut", I believe, and the clipped ones went on "September Fury". Just a bit of trivia, or worthless information, depending on how bored you are while waiting for "Reno".

Larry
          Welcome back Bluffman... This is most definately not worthless information
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
            Welcome back Bluffman... This is most definately not worthless information
            Always nice to have a review of air race history. Maybe someone can tell me what happened to Wiley Sanders "Georgia Mae". I was going through some slides today and had some of "Georgia Mae".

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
              Always nice to have a review of air race history. Maybe someone can tell me what happened to Wiley Sanders "Georgia Mae". I was going through some slides today and had some of "Georgia Mae".
              After Wiley got so pi$$ed at RARA in 1989 that he swore he'd never come back, he sold Georgia Mae to Harry Barr. I believe it is still flying as 'Barbara Jean' in Nebraska these days.

Comment

I hope bluffman writes a book some day.

Comment

Working...
                X