2010 Unlimited "Final" (Heat 3A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Unlimited "Final" (Heat 3A)

Since we are closing in on the 2011 event, here is link to coverage of the 2010 Unlimited Final. Better late than never.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-179TXqJo
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Re: 2010 Unlimited "Final" (Heat 3A)

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
    Better late than never.
    Yes it is, thanks for posting that.

Jarrod

Comment

Great video Bill and that looks like a very nice shooting location, thanks for posting!!
      Jason
      Jason Schillereff

Comment

Thanks Jason

I have 4 continuous laps of Will qualifying in Voodoo from that location. Let me know if you and the Voodoo crew would like to use them. I keep meaning to stop into Yolo as I fly by there every few weeks, but I haven't made it for awhile.
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust

Comment

Thanks Jason

I have 4 continuous laps of Will qualifying in Voodoo from that location. Let me know if you and the Voodoo crew would like to use them. I keep meaning to stop into Yolo as I fly by there every few weeks, but I haven't made it for awhile.
          Yeah Bill, that would be great and I'm sure Will would love a copy.

Jason
          Jason Schillereff

Comment

I already got a PM from Will confirming he would like a copy

I coulld use some advice on how best to send it to you guys
            I have a pretty new iMac running Final Cut Express and iDVD. I am not getting results that live up to the original tape image which was shot on a Canon XL2.

There is one feature in Final cut that I really like which is the ability to let the audio from a shot continue on after I overlay a new shot. that provides a nice bit of continuity between shots as the new video and audio on top of the previous audio. You continue to hear the plane from the first shot continuing around the course as the new pass plays. Other than that I'm not particularly enamored with Final Cut. It could just be that I haven't read enough of the 1000+ page manual to know how to do what I want to do.

At any rate I am experimenting with a number of different export settings to see if I can improve the video quality. The Audio is fine but the video has what may be compression artifacts or stair step jaggy lines along any sharp edge which has movement relative the the frame.

I haven't burned them to DVD yet so maybe they go away, but I expect not.

Any suggestions from the audience?

Apologies for drifting off topic, but the photo discussions seem to have gone dormant.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust

Comment

I already got a PM from Will confirming he would like a copy

I coulld use some advice on how best to send it to you guys
              I have a pretty new iMac running Final Cut Express and iDVD. I am not getting results that live up to the original tape image which was shot on a Canon XL2.

There is one feature in Final cut that I really like which is the ability to let the audio from a shot continue on after I overlay a new shot. that provides a nice bit of continuity between shots as the new video and audio on top of the previous audio. You continue to hear the plane from the first shot continuing around the course as the new pass plays. Other than that I'm not particularly enamored with Final Cut. It could just be that I haven't read enough of the 1000+ page manual to know how to do what I want to do.

At any rate I am experimenting with a number of different export settings to see if I can improve the video quality. The Audio is fine but the video has what may be compression artifacts or stair step jaggy lines along any sharp edge which has movement relative the the frame.

I haven't burned them to DVD yet so maybe they go away, but I expect not.

Any suggestions from the audience?

Apologies for drifting off topic, but the photo discussions seem to have gone dormant.
              Hi Bill,
              If you could dump it to an AVI. file, that would be the best quality, I use it for all my Mini DV to disk back up. The only problem is that it takes allot of DVD's to do it. I just got done with putting all my tapes from Reno 2010 (7 83 minute ones) to disk which took 30 DVD's.
              Jason
              Jason Schillereff

Comment

Thanks Jason, I tired exporting to .avi but that results in very small extremely poor quality files.

I did find that if I de-interlace on export I can get rid of all the jaggies I had. Perhaps I shouldn't be shooting in 60i. The XL@ can shoop in 30P or 24P, but I seem to recall the 24P didn't look smooth.

The 1920x1080 de-interlaced file looks the best of the many formats I have tried. This results in a 1.37 GB file for 5 minutes of video. 768x576 SD de-interlaced is almost as good and is only 460 MB. This may be as good as I can get on DVD anyway. I don't have a blue ray burner.

I still haven't burned a DVD. More testing ahead.
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust

Comment

I've been using pinnacle to do all my work, so it must be a different way they do the rendering. I only ever shoot in 60i using my XL2 and it seems to work pretty good, 24p is good for movie type stuff but the 60i works best for the fast motion of the planes and the prop blur. Take your time there's tons of stuff to learn when doing this stuff, I've been using Pinnacle forever and I'm going to change it up here in the next few weeks. I'm switching over to CyberLink PowerDirector 9 http://www.cyberlink.com/index_en_US.html?r=1 and from what I've read and watched on YouTube it should be pretty good, the only thing is now I get to start all over with the learning curve.
                  Jason
                  Jason Schillereff

Comment

Working...
                  X