Mid air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid air

Just heard that Big Beautiful Doll is down at Duxford. Pilot is okay but airframe lost.

Re: Mid air

French Skyraider "allegedly" hit his right wing against the 51's under fuse/tail wheel area shearing off about 3-4 foot off right tip of AD-1

Both pilots lived to tell the tale

Doc

Comment

Glad to hear both pilots okay. Reports are whoever was flying the mustang did a fairly low level bailout.

Comment

Uggh I hate to hear this news so much, especially a plane I've seen flying before. Glad to hear the pilots are good, but sad about the loss of the airframe. Liberty Belle now this... Just terrible
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Airracer75
          If I did this right here is the Skyraider landing.
          Gotta ask the question.. where'd you get the images? I HAVE to ensure that you have permission to use them... if not, you can link to wherever they are, but can not upload them here...

Thanks for understanding.

EDIT: Above post with questionable image copyright issue deleted pending further information from original poster
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Glad to hear both pilots survived!

The Skyraider photos prove one thing for sure, that bird could take some serious punishment and still make it back!

Comment

HD video on YouTube of the Big Beautiful Doll and Skyraider mid-air

Biplane Race #3

Comment

Hell of a shot of the bail out from the Mustang linked below

Today, Duxford. End of the great flypast, a Mustang and Skyraider had a mid-air collision during their brake. Mustang crashed, Skyraider landed safe, missing part of a wing. pilot ejected and was oke check these pictures: seconds before the collision…. Page 1 of 3.

Comment

Good footage here !

Stay up to date with the latest news from around Cambridgeshire including breaking news updates, sport, football, local events and business.
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

I couldn't see the damage to the P51 in videos nor still photos, but by the impact location just forward of the tail wheel I suspect the control cables to the "tail feathers" were fouled or cut.

I don't see any visible rudder or stabilizer damage. Maybe later photos will reveal what brought it down.

Comment

From the second video, it looks like he lost a horizontal stabilizer, unless that was a piece of the Skyraider. In any case, the Mustang pilot did what he was trained to do, as trying to assess the condition of a plane after a mid-air that low is betting on your life. He barely had time to get out as he did.

EDIT: looking at the third video, he may have used some time to get a feel of the plane, found he couldn't control it, then bailed.
                      Last edited by race9; 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

In both photos below, rudder and tail of the P-51 look okay but the fuselage is crushed 1/3 - 1/2 way through right after the radiator exit. I would think the cables were severed or inop. To me, great reactions of both pilots; the P-51 pilot (Rob Davies) for bailing out and the Skyraider pilot for recovering and saving the aircraft.

Photo right after impact:
                        http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...65_964x603.jpg
                        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-airshow.html

Photo of P-51 right after bailout:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=110391
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Story from AVweb....
                          (Just as an aside, when the triplane went on its nose a bit earlier in the show, it seems like it takes forever for fire to get to her...video here..I think the Stead fire dept is awesome....)
                          Last edited by Coyote Chris; 07-11-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I've seen another shot, a blow up, similar to Bill's first photo,that shows something on the right horizontal of the Mustang, dented or skewered, sure it didn't help....

Comment

Not sure if you guys have seen this footage yet, but it’s the best so far http://www.flyingfilm.co.uk/
                              Jason
                              Jason Schillereff

Comment

Working...
                              X