A True Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A True Fan

I was working in downtown Reno this past Sunday at the "Chicken Wing Festival" and a couple comes up to me and in very broken english (they were either German or a scandanavian country, he told me but I could not understand) and he asked me if I knew "where airport is where are World Famous Reno Air Races". I gave him directions, gave him this website.
    Their first visit to this country and one of his goals was to take a picture of home pylon. He said all his friends would be jealous that he got to visit "the place", and he hopes to someday actually go to a race. We talked what little we could about it and they went off in search of that photo op.
    Made my day.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: A True Fan

Isn't home pylon taken down when PRS and the races are over? I hope they weren't too disappointing if that is was the case.
    Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Comment

If so, I think a few pics of the whole valley would have been just fine for them!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Even if the home pylon is not there, they might still enjoy the photo op in front to the Reno Air Races Offices/Hangar. I don't think they'll find that signage anywhere else in the world. Maybe better yet they'd get a personal shot of the Bear!
        There's more than the home pylon to help identify that you were there.

Comment

Home Pylon is normally down. It's an 80 foot (I think that's correct height) frame tower, with four eye bolts which mate to four receiving eyes set in concrete below it. They leave two of the pins/bolts connected and remove the other two, then lower the tower on the "hinge" which is created by the two remaining connected points.

Since Stead is an active airport all other days of the year, the Home Pylon tower is thought to be a hazard to navigation... as well it probably would be, and it's usually down before the waiver expires at the end of any event... (or at least, the day after) usually, unless there is an important media project going on, you'll not see it up other times of the year... Some of the outer pylons are "temporary" as well.. not sure which, but any that are close to any flight path to any runway would be likely candidates..
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
          X