Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember Military Air Shows where they would fire/drop real rockets and bombs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember Military Air Shows where they would fire/drop real rockets and bombs?

I was surfing youtube and found this by accident. Shows a Military Air Show where it appears they are shooting rockets and dropping napalm. Does anyone remember such events? Those must have been the days.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseX...rec_grec_index

Re: Anyone remember Military Air Shows where they would fire/drop real rockets and bo

Have watched this video several times (there's a Part II floating around in cyberspace that I have also watched). It's like one-stop shopping for late 50's early 60's UASF. Starting with the century series fighters; F-100 Super Sabre, F-101 Voodoo, F-102 Delta Dagger, F-104 Starfighter, F-105 Thunderchief, and F-106 Delta Dart. The bombers; B-52 Stratofortress and KC-135 Stratotanker, B-47 Stratojet, more B52's in a really tight 3 ship), and B-58 Hustler in full burner (the crowd reaction tells the story). And lastly, the "Roman Nose" C-130's. The live fire part demo is a rare treat, but, for me, the real value is in the cold war airpower showcase.

Take a look around YouTube searching with terms like "live fire", "airshow", "demo", "demonstration", etc.

Comment

Re: Anyone remember Military Air Shows where they would fire/drop real rockets and bo

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpxvQcXe28[/YT]
      This may get your juices going.....
      Rampking

Comment

Way cool!!!!!!!! We need this at Reno....the real high rollers club.

Comment

I've heard that they use to do live demos down at Point Magu in southern California, but that all ended before I got to see any personally.

Comment

Yep, they had an RF-8 roar down the runway towards the ocean pull up and launch a parachute flare, then an F-4 would come by and fire a Sidewinder at the flare. Cool

BillRo

Comment

My family and I went on a "Dependents Day Cruise" in 1967 on board the USS Oriskany. Carrier opps. A-4E's, F-8E's, A-1's and A-3 Skywarriors. F-8 using a Sidewinder on a parachute flare, F-8 breaking the sound barrier, napalm in the ocean. Watching a 5 inch gun pop a weather balloon. It was a big day for a ten year old boy! Watching an A-3 come back aboard a carrier the size of the Oriskany! That was interesting to say the least.

When I lived in Rachel, Nevada, the Air Force invited the whole town to a live demonstration at Indian Springs. Two B-52's and two B-1's in trail dropping 750 lbs-ers at low altitude. High drag with the chute. There were four A-10's that demonstrated putting cannon fire on a target with minimal time between aircraft.

When you arrive they take you out to an area away from the highway, but still about five miles from the target area. There were big screen monitors to watch from cameras closer to the bomb range. They had launched a Predator Drone with a camera to give live images of the crowd. We never heard or saw the Predator, but it sure took some nice vids.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                When I lived in Rachel, Nevada, the Air Force invited the whole town to a live demonstration at Indian Springs. Two B-52's and two B-1's in trail dropping 750 lbs-ers at low altitude. High drag with the chute. There were four A-10's that demonstrated putting cannon fire on a target with minimal time between aircraft.
                Reever, what year was that?? I got to go to one in early 2004, same routine, LOVED the -52's literally "puking" bombs!! Some would hit each other and detonate early... then the Warthogs would streak in from behind, firing live ammo literally right above and to the side of the viewing area... AWESOME experience!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It was '04'! What a show! Sure glad those A-10's weren't angry at us. LOL!

One more was when I was about nine and it was a show at NAS Lemoore.

A-4 carring a buddy tank fueling an A-3 that was fueling an F-8! And they were hooked up.

Comment

I did a "Tiger Cruise" on the U.S.S Ranger when she was coming back from the first Gulf War, 1 week from Pearl to San Diego. Second day out they launched just about everything and we got supersonic passes, cannon firing, flares, and bombs. A supersonic pass by an F-14 at eye level just off the port side literally lifts you off the deck! After the airshow and recovery all the ships in the battle group pulled alongside and fired guns, helo ops, Phalanx firing, washdowns, etc. pretty much showing off. Simply awesome!
                    The only other thing close was visiting my dad in the Mojave desert. His "cabin" was real close to the 29 Palms range and quite an assortment of aircraft would come over, usually at treetop height and moving. Seems his was the only place for miles that had trees and was distinctive, so guess where th IP usually was?
                    We were close enough to hear munitions detonating in the distance.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I remember the Air shows at Mugu. The live 'Winder shoot, an A-4 lofting a bomb then seeing an explosion way out in yonder water.

Air Power Demo's out at sea on VIP dog & pony shows and tiger cruises are still the best though IMHO. The gloves are off and they'll shoot, drop and blow off anything they don't want to off load later on!

I mean even the C-2 COD got in on the act.....tossing smoke flares out the back door on a flyby LOL!
                      Rob
                      Merlins are cool
                      But Radials rule!
                      And jets just make noise

Comment

I've seen old B&W videos of Regulus missiles launching, or rather attempting launch during a few early shows. That must have been a sight.

I thought I saw those vids at Air & Space Smithsonian, but I haven't located any yet.
                        Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-03-2011, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Reever, what year was that?? I got to go to one in early 2004, same routine, LOVED the -52's literally "puking" bombs!! Some would hit each other and detonate early... then the Warthogs would streak in from behind, firing live ammo literally right above and to the side of the viewing area... AWESOME experience!
                          Those demos have been going on at Point Bravo for years. I went to them numerous times in the mid 90s when I was stationed at Nellis.

They're put on for Operation Capstone, which is a program where new 1-star General Officers from across the services visit different parts of the services and learn how they work.

There is usually at least one practice day that some members of the general public are invited to attend. Often they only drop inert bombs on practice day.

Anyhow, a search of "Capstone" will reveal several good YouTube videos of the exercise.

Comment

Working...
                          X