AT-6 Unlimited Contender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT-6 Unlimited Contender?

I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find it in search.

Does anybody know about an AT-6 with a DC-4 engine and 6 foot wing clip? Is it a new Bronze (Silver?) racer? Or just somebody making a one of a kind Texan?

Picture is here:

Don

Re: AT-6 Unlimited Contender?

Originally posted by hattend View Post
    I'm sure it's been posted before but I can't find it in search.

Does anybody know about an AT-6 with a DC-4 engine and 6 foot wing clip? Is it a new Bronze (Silver?) racer? Or just somebody making a one of a kind Texan?

Picture is here:

Don
    It's just a one off "fun" plane. The builder / owner has no intentions of racing it.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Looks kind of cool in a draggy, wheels are exposed, kind of way.

Don

Comment

It'd make for a cool T-6 Class pace plane...
        Sky Critter

Comment

T-6/SNJ is souppose to be stock so it would'nt pass Tech, nice show plane.

Comment

Brings to mind good old "WILDFIRE" down at Mojave.
            Rampking

Comment

From Flightaware

Fixed wing single engine
              ( seats / engine) SHELL JOHN H SR
              MORGANTON, NC
              (Individual) Experimental JS-001
              Aircraft Details
              Engine Weight Speed Mode S Code
              P & W TWIN WASP E1
              Horsepower: 1650 (Reciprocating) Unknown mph 51211333
              Registration Details

Status Certificate Issue Date Airworthiness Date Last Action Date Expiration
              Assigned 2011-03-21 2011-02-25 2011-03-21 2014-03-31

Comment

Looks pretty awesome....a little weird though

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
                  Brings to mind good old "WILDFIRE" down at Mojave.
                  Except that it's way better looking and it flys

Comment

I for one think it looks way cool!! Is that an F-80 canopy? Any real figures on performance?

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Wasn't Wildfire suppose to finally appear last year, and the year before that, and the previous before that, and so on...?

C'mon guys....Waiting for all the 'Stangs and roundies to corrode away so you can be competitive? Let's GO...

Excuse my straight-to-the-point comments, but I was in my mid-twenties when I saw this thing displayed in photos half-completed in Air Progress or some other mag, and I'm in my FIFTIES now....

I nearly croaked 2 years ago of the big-"C" (all clear now, thanks to God and Mr. Chemo in that order), so these days I wonder if I will ever get to see the dang thing race before my maker says "Time to come home son...", even if I make it to my eighties.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-22-2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I'm with you Dog, same timeline.
                        All this during a period when racers just kind of showed up with little pre-race fanfare. Dago, Stilletto, PM, Strega, Furious just to name a few. They appeared and THEN made a name for themselves. I hate to pick on Wildfire, but...
                        Looks a little ungainly but cool!
                        Wasn't there a T-6 mod with tricycle gear and a new canopy built as a possible COIN fighter?
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

[QUOTE=AirDOGGe;88594]Wasn't Wildfire suppose to finally appear last year, and the year before that, and the previous before that, and so on...?

C'mon guys....Waiting for all the 'Stangs and roundies to corrode away so you can be competitive? Let's GO...
                          [QUOTE]

Well, haul out your checkbook and start writing then. Add a "0" to the end of the amount for each month/year you'd like to move the end date up.

Money is what has been holding the thing up for the last 30 years. They're just doing this on their regular engineer salaries and volunteer work.

I look at it like one of my boat racing heroes who in the era of big money sponsorships and television packages spent 10 years hand-building his own boat in his backyard, on his own terms. And when he finished it he called it Tempus (Latin for 'time', which was appropriate), raced it himself, even though he was well into his late 60's by that time, and refused to accept any kind of sponsorship. It was just a labor of love...but it was HIS.

One of these days the Statler-Beck "Super Six" will show up on the ramp...and just by being there will have been a success.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Jim;88602][QUOTE=AirDOGGe;88594]Wasn't Wildfire suppose to finally appear last year, and the year before that, and the previous before that, and so on...?

Well, haul out your checkbook and start writing then. Add a "0" to the end of the amount for each month/year you'd like to move the end date up.

Money is what has been holding the thing up for the last 30 years. They're just doing this on their regular engineer salaries and volunteer work.

I look at it like one of my boat racing heroes who in the era of big money sponsorships and television packages spent 10 years hand-building his own boat in his backyard, on his own terms. And when he finished it he called it Tempus (Latin for 'time', which was appropriate), raced it himself, even though he was well into his late 60's by that time, and refused to accept any kind of sponsorship. It was just a labor of love...but it was HIS.

One of these days the Statler-Beck "Super Six" will show up on the ramp...and just by being there will have been a success.
                            No one would disagree it takes cubic dollars for these projects, but...........................

To put it into perspective, there is a very old Air Comics issue out there that features three new Unlimited Air Racers to fly soon for the first time. Tsunami, Dreadnought and Wildfire.

I don't know squat about this project, and not to diss there efforts, but maybe it is more that just money.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              ...Wasn't there a T-6 mod with tricycle gear and a new canopy built as a possible COIN fighter?...
                              ...the Bacon "Super Six"...seen at Chino Nov 1972...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X