Precious Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal

I saw PM yesterday between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. I was out in my yard the plane sounded ok I think I am not a aircraft expert but it was putting out some smoke streams off and on looked like white smoke any way Thom circled a couple of times and also did some power increases with it and then took the airplane back in for a landing so I dont know if everything is good or not.

Re: Precious Metal

Originally posted by MARK SHANE View Post
    I saw PM yesterday between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. I was out in my yard the plane sounded ok I think I am not a aircraft expert but it was putting out some smoke streams off and on looked like white smoke any way Thom circled a couple of times and also did some power increases with it and then took the airplane back in for a landing so I dont know if everything is good or not.
    That stream you saw was most likely spray bar water. I'm sure they were testing the cooling systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
      That stream you saw was most likely spray bar water. I'm sure they were testing the cooling systems.
      Yeah I was thinking maybe ADI when I saw that but wasnt sure if P.M. had that system or not and I didn't want to pass bad info thank you Race 5. The streams were off and on just like the ADIs and the boil offs do so you are probably right thanks again!

Comment

We saw it too. Out in the yard enjoying a cold one. What a wonderful way to end a perfect day with Precious Metal flying overhead. I though thats the best she sounded all week.

We are so lucking in this area to have old warbirds overhead on a regular basis.

Comment

ADI is different than spray bar water

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            We saw it too. Out in the yard enjoying a cold one. What a wonderful way to end a perfect day with Precious Metal flying overhead. I though thats the best she sounded all week.

We are so lucking in this area to have old warbirds overhead on a regular basis.
            Hell yeah were lucky thats why we chose Red Rock great people here too!

Comment

Originally posted by kensantafe View Post
              ADI is different than spray bar water
              Oh ok I assumed they were the same thing because when I have read articles about the air craft they will mention ADI spray bar. I think I know what spray bar is its a line that rest in front of the radiator or oil coolers and sprays water into them so what does ADI mean and what does it do? Thanks Mark.

Comment

Anti Detonation Injection

Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

From: http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html

Comment

Originally posted by airtj View Post
                  Anti Detonation Injection

Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

From: http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue...ineBasics.html
                  Cool so ADI has to do with the motor I assume this system is for keeping the engine from grenading itself then all be damned you learn somthing new every day thanks Airtj.

Comment

Cool so ADI has to do with the motor I assume this system is for keeping the engine from grenading itself then all be damned you learn somthing new every day thanks Airtj.
                    ADI lets you increase the cylinder pressures (and the boost pressure) to higher levels by cooling the incoming air/fuel mixture and slowing the combustion process slightly to prevent detonation. Its like being able to dial up the octane rating of the fuel, in a way. Its not a magic bullet, since it displaces air and fuel that could otherwise be used to make horsepower directly, but in the right combination it lets you get more power out of an engine without causing damage.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                      ADI lets you increase the cylinder pressures (and the boost pressure) to higher levels by cooling the incoming air/fuel mixture and slowing the combustion process slightly to prevent detonation. Its like being able to dial up the octane rating of the fuel, in a way. Its not a magic bullet, since it displaces air and fuel that could otherwise be used to make horsepower directly, but in the right combination it lets you get more power out of an engine without causing damage.
                      Oh ok well is this like that system the Germans used in their planes like if you look at the specs for the BF 109 or the FW 190 in some books it will say for example 2000 hp with water injection?

Comment

Later in 1942, the FW 190A-4 model fighter came along, which had a methanol-water injection system for the engine which boosted power to 2,100 HP for a 10 minute period on demand, and substantially improved performance at the lower altitudes.

Comment

Oh ok well is this like that system the Germans used in their planes like if you look at the specs for the BF 109 or the FW 190 in some books it will say for example 2000 hp with water injection?
                          I'm not familiar with what the Germans did, but I assume its pretty similar. If you look at many US engines made during the war and postwar through the 50s, you'll see several power ratings, usually one of which is "wet." This is with water injection enabled and the mixture appropriately de-riched.

Comment

Wow I thought PM was still stored. Is it sold? I'm guessing it's going to be at the races in Sept? Whats the latest?

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                              Wow I thought PM was still stored. Is it sold? I'm guessing it's going to be at the races in Sept? Whats the latest?
                              In this post you can see a pic of the new owner. He brought her to PRS to get familiar with her. He had spraybar problems and friday, after the last session, when he parked her she was smoking pretty good out the right bank. She only smoked at idle and not while she was under power. He is/was planning on flying her back to Fla. after PRS for some mods before September. But who knows now, maybe she will stay at Stead while she gets her motor rebuilt.

Comment

Working...
                              X