HUGE CONGRATS TO BUCKY!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE CONGRATS TO BUCKY!!!!

Our own Don "Bucky" Dawson was awarded "Volunteer of the Year" honors at the RARA Volunteer Appreciation Dinner Friday evening at PRS! With apologies for the color correction (just got home and wanted to throw these up), here's Bucky's reaction tothe annoucement from RARA CEO Mike Houghton and a shot of Bucky and the other recipients.

Couldn't have been awarded to a more deserving fella! And thanks Bucky for mentioning teh Pylon Judges in your "acceptance speech!"

Way to go, Mr. Dawson!

Air Judge
    Attached Files
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: HUGE CONGRATS TO BUCKY!!!!

Congratulations, Bucky and Linda!
    Didn't get a chance to tell you Friday night, and left for home Sat. AM.
    See you in Sept. Big hugs.
    Betty

Comment

Congrats "Bucky". Don't do your license plate like the one that won a Gold Medal at the Olympics & had it Bronzed.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Hey thanks alot, Owen, f/the 'atta-boy' & f/capturing 'my moment in the spotlight' on camera. Thanks also Betty (missed seeing you) & Bob f/your kind congrats as well.

I was totally-surprised & stoked when my name was called, and humbled as well, seeing as there is a veritable army of truly-deserving air race volunteers who really bust their moons to make our favorite annual event happen (some never even get to see a plane fly the entire time they're there! go figure...) Anyway, after 35 consecutive years, -I'll happily accept w/o any hesitation, I'll clue ya! (+ it's always great to get a bit of thanks & recognition while you're still- 'on the sunny side of the sod', as I like to say). <g>

Gotta mention as well, that it was doubly-meaningful having my lovely bride- LindaD also receive the RARA 'Volunteer of the Year' award, for her many dedicated years of service helping run the media & participant crew check-in trailer w/our friend LynneP & other volunteers who join to assist them later during race week, now-including Wayne's better half- LindaG (aka-'Beer Nazi').

We have to get up every morning at 4:30am to make it to the field by 6am in time f/the gals to process credentials out of the trailer & they are there all day, every day w/few breaks, getting so many folks their important stuff to enable them to go do their thing. By the time we get back to the hotel fm Stead Field at the end of the day, there's barely time f/dinner & wind-down before turning-in to start it all over again before the rooster crows or dawn patrol pulls their chocks.

Until you get really involved, you don't realize the tremendous amount people-power infrastructure that's required to put on this huge premiere aviation event for both the participants & all the many race fans. It's pretty amazing & inspiring to watch & appreciate it happening.

That's one of the reasons I love going to the air races each year all these years- 'cuz it's so cool being in such wonderful company at a venue where virtually everybody's just happy to be there. It makes the fun & excitement of air racing action ever so special. Lotsa years-lotsa great friends...By & large-Air Race people are absolutely the coolest folks! Gotta luv 'em!

DBD
        Last edited by BuckyD; 06-24-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Morning Bucky,

Well we've come a long way form sleeping at Stead in tents and Airstream's.

You are one of the best people in the world and your award is well deserved.

Willie

Comment

Bucky-
            Congratulations on the award- Bob and I were in the hangar working on Race # 44 Judy and was pleased to hear you being acknowledged for everything you have done for the races. Didn't make it over to congratulate you in person but I'm still in awe of your ability to capture moments in history from the races
            Russ
            Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

(Quote)- "Well we've come a long way form sleeping at Stead in tents and Airstream's."

You sure got that right, Willie. Big thx to you & Ted, and alot of other wonderful folks, f/takin' good care of yours-truly during those 'lean years' (-when we ALL were mostly-fueled by pure enthusiasm). Aw shucks, the feeling's mutual, ole' friend.

And thanks Russ- I'll make it a point to come see YOU at the races this Sept. (Are you still crewing f/Phil's team?)

DBD

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                (Quote)- "Well we've come a long way form sleeping at Stead in tents and Airstream's."

You sure got that right, Willie. Big thx to you & Ted, and alot of other wonderful folks, f/takin' good care of yours-truly during those 'lean years' (-when we ALL were mostly-fueled by pure enthusiasm). Aw shucks, the feeling's mutual, ole' friend.

And thanks Russ- I'll make it a point to come see YOU at the races this Sept. (Are you still crewing f/Phil's team?)

DBD
                Bucky- Yes, I'll be helping Phil again this year, should have Knotty Girl and Judy in F-1, and now the MK26B Spitfire in Sport Class. Just keeps getting better each year. Sorry I missed you at PRS.
                Russ
                Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Working...
                X