June racing news from the Eagle's Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June racing news from the Eagle's Nest

Oh boy, oh boy. Dreadnaught is healthy. Argonaught has it's second R2800 and she is burning off the hours. Furious is nearly ready to fly. She has her inlet ducts sealed, a beautiful racing canopy and a boiloff system for the oil. Matt Jackson is going to fly her at Reno THIS year. Additionally, the B-23 Dragon finally has a new owner who has begun a rebuild with the Sanders' shop.
    John Penney is flying off hours on the re-rigged ME 262 based at Mather starting tomorrow.
    Corey Wells is learning Argonaught for his Reno opportunity.
    Dennis will drive the Buick.
    Brian will drive the F3F.
    Thom Richards will be at PRS next week to learn Precious Metal.
    Wha'd I tell ya - Boy oh boy! It must be that time of year. I can hear sleigh bells.

Re: June racing news from the Eagle's Nest

F3F? they're going to race an F3F? COOoooool
    Looks like Reno is really shaping up, can't wait.

Comment

How the hell will they make a F3F do over 300?

Comment

Is this the same B-23 that was at Reno a day or two before the races back in 1994 or 95 I think? It was parked in the pits, and was gone by start of the races. I took pictures and am looking through them right now. Wow, I didn't realize I had so many photos!
        Tony

Comment

Yes, it is one and the same. That was our crew ride to Reno for a few years.

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
          Is this the same B-23 that was at Reno a day or two before the races back in 1994 or 95 I think? It was parked in the pits, and was gone by start of the races. I took pictures and am looking through them right now. Wow, I didn't realize I had so many photos!

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hawkeye!

That is very cool. Is it still air worthy? If it's not a secret, what kind of work is being done to her?
            Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
              Oh boy, oh boy. Dreadnaught is healthy. Argonaught has it's second R2800 and she is burning off the hours. Furious is nearly ready to fly. She has her inlet ducts sealed, a beautiful racing canopy and a boiloff system for the oil. Matt Jackson is going to fly her at Reno THIS year. Additionally, the B-23 Dragon finally has a new owner who has begun a rebuild with the Sanders' shop.
              John Penney is flying off hours on the re-rigged ME 262 based at Mather starting tomorrow.
              Corey Wells is learning Argonaught for his Reno opportunity.
              Dennis will drive the Buick.
              Brian will drive the F3F.
              Thom Richards will be at PRS next week to learn Precious Metal.
              Wha'd I tell ya - Boy oh boy! It must be that time of year. I can hear sleigh bells.
              An F3F as in a Grumman Biplane??????

Comment

Uh...a bit of misinformation here. The engine in Dread is the broken one from last year.

Comment

Correction - That would be an F4F. Sorry. Also, Corey Wells says Dreadnaught, which is currently propless, is ready to go as of 6/8/11.
                  Don't shoot the piano player.

Comment

Well I don't know who Corey Wells is, but his information is wrong. The engine in Dread is the one that made metal last year. They do not have an engine back from the shop to put in it yet.

Comment

Hey, it gets curiouser and curiouser. Mr Wells works at Sanders. He is slated to fly Argonaught in September and is practicing now. HE says Dread will be raced by Dennis and is ready. Could he be wrong or have misspoken? Hell if I know. Your certainly seem sure of your position. Do you work there?

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
                        Thanks for the reply Hawkeye!

That is very cool. Is it still air worthy? If it's not a secret, what kind of work is being done to her?
                        The B-23 is going to have a full restoration under the capable hands of Sanders Aeronautical. They have already started stripping the interior, removed the control surfaces for overhaul and re-cover. I have no doubt that the aircraft will be stunning when Brian and Dennis and crew get done working their magic.

When you saw the B-23 at Reno in the pits. There is a story behind why it was in the pits. When we flew in, RARA not have a tow bar to move her. They wanted it off the ramp though. So we pushed the B-23 into the unlimited pits. Of course you must have a race number on your aircraft to park in the pits. So, I put a race number (Race 10) on the left side of the fuselage. The next moring, someone came by and said they wanted it moved because the spots were only for the race planes. I told them we've entered the aircraft in the Unlimited class to race. They went away scratching thier heads. After a couple of hours, they fianally figured we were not entered, so, we had to relocate her.

Comment

That is awesome Hawkeye, thanks!

I hope that we will get to see it at Reno again someday.
                          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
                            Hey, it gets curiouser and curiouser. Mr Wells works at Sanders. He is slated to fly Argonaught in September and is practicing now. HE says Dread will be raced by Dennis and is ready. Could he be wrong or have misspoken? Hell if I know. Your certainly seem sure of your position. Do you work there?
                            No, but someone who does has posted on Scotty's site that they do not have a motor yet. It will make it if they get one in time, but it is not ready yet. I believe that it is also on Facebook. Bottom line, it's got a broken motor in it right now and is grounded.

Comment

Is the 262 still at Mather? If so when does he fly it? I'd love to see that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X