Need Race Week roommate(S)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Race Week roommate(S)

I'm facing a difficult situation but still want to come to Reno for race week. Probably Mon-Sun. I'm out of work but think I can swing my ticket, food and my share of a reasonably economical room. The party I traveled with: a buddy and his wife cant afford the trip and a friend from CA is unreachable so I seem to be on my own this year. I'd like to find 1 or 2 roomies either M or F(I'm a guy). I don't party in house and I'm a quiet roomie. I havn't missed Reno since I first came in 1987 and really don't want to start now. Please contact me if you're looking for a room mate. I can also make the room res. if needed.
    I could also use a top row reserved ticket if you have an extra. Please.
    Bill Kohler/Eugene, OR

Re: Need Race Week roommate(S)

Hello,
    Was thinking you may be interested in the deal they have at st michaels, you can camp on the lawn for 20.00 a night. They have breakfast and dinner for a reasonable price. Showers for 3.00 (last years price I think) and all us race fans to swap stories with all nite long. Its close to the gates and well, every morning at sunup you get the bestest alarm clock in the world. Oh and I make some downrite nasty coffee.

Its as much fun as the races, well almost.

Comment

I have to say that unless you are dead set against camping, buying a small tent and sleeping bag, Bob is right. I camp out with the castouts in the dirt field across from the church and it is the best 9 days of my year. The Church has great food and showers and shade and green grass. You can sit out under the stars and self medicate with your friends and spend very little time in the pup tent. And no commute!
      Who knows? You might even like it!

Comment

Thanks for the Idea guys but I prefer a warm bed and I'm definitely not an early riser nor do I appreciate in the least any disturbance in my mornings as I don't sleep well. Vacation is about vacation for me and not privation. I like to watch cable too as I don't have it at home.
        I can't imagine paying $20 to sleep on the lawn. A share of a hotel room is barely over that so why not be comfortable?
        I appreciate your answers anyway.

Comment

If I had room I'd help out, but I have all rooms and the trailer spoken for by friends and relatives!
          Air Race week was never a vacation as such for me. The challenge was to be as comfortable as possible while being lightweight, mobile and cheap.
          Even living near by it is not a "relaxing" time. Anticipation, miles of walking, weather, etc. has always left me tired, sore, wind/sun burned and totally satisfied.
          I would not trade a single second of it for anything, privations and discomforts aside!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            If I had room I'd help out, but I have all rooms and the trailer spoken for by friends and relatives!
            Air Race week was never a vacation as such for me. The challenge was to be as comfortable as possible while being lightweight, mobile and cheap.
            Even living near by it is not a "relaxing" time. Anticipation, miles of walking, weather, etc. has always left me tired, sore, wind/sun burned and totally satisfied.
            I would not trade a single second of it for anything, privations and discomforts aside!
            Ahmen Leo,
            I lie awake in bed (yes a bed) every morning patiently waiting for my coffee to brew and the dawn patrol, I cant eat fast enough to get inside for the F1 and Bipes. I walk so much everyday that I am in pain when I get back to camp. Spend the evening and nites talking planes with all the other race fans and when I go to bed at nite I cant wait till morning to do it all over again. Come sunday evening I am the most thrashed person on the planet grining ear to ear. On my way home the reality of having to wait a whole year to do it again creeps in. I hate the drive home.

Comment

Oh man, are WE going to have to straighten GeeBee out! This is not a vacation! This is a religous pilgrimage! I dont come to Reno to sleep and watch cable TV....I get up in the dark, scrape the froast from my motorcycle seat, go to McDonalds and Scolaris, and get back in time for a long day on the ramp. Go to town at the end of the day and you might miss three Tigercats flying by.

Comment

YOU'LL MISS DAWN PATROL!!!
                The bark of a Merlins exhaust in the cold morning air, the sound of the props beating it into submission....the colors of the desert sky as it's stirred to life by a 400mph swizzle stick
                .........Oh man, live a little!....
                Last edited by Apteryx; 06-06-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Its happened before
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ken from PG; 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                    I'm facing a difficult situation but still want to come to Reno for race week. Probably Mon-Sun. I'm out of work but think I can swing my ticket, food and my share of a reasonably economical room. The party I traveled with: a buddy and his wife cant afford the trip and a friend from CA is unreachable so I seem to be on my own this year. I'd like to find 1 or 2 roomies either M or F(I'm a guy). I don't party in house and I'm a quiet roomie. I havn't missed Reno since I first came in 1987 and really don't want to start now. Please contact me if you're looking for a room mate. I can also make the room res. if needed.
                    I could also use a top row reserved ticket if you have an extra. Please.
                    Bill Kohler/Eugene, OR
                    Do you snore with the sound of a seriously tweaked Merlin??

My typical cabin mate snores like a screwed up R-680 with a clogged fuel line.

I hope you make it.

Comment

I snore more like a Kinner.
                      We're just picking on you GeeBee. Not everyone is as insane about this all as some of us can be. At some point even the most seasoned of the fans will start to miss the comforts like sandless food, running water, sleep. "Never again!" is the last thing I say on Sunday. "When's next year's?" comes Monday morning.
                      Hope someone on here can help. 87 is a long time to be coming here!
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Leo. I'm beginning to feel a little like the red headed stepchild. Since Jr hi I've hated getting up early. Last time I did was to see Jim Wright go for the speed record in the Hughes replica. AND THEY WOULDN'T LET US IN THE GATE BECAUSE IT WAS TOO EARLY! I can hardly believe that I lost my whole group this year but I guess that happens. I'm really the group fan just not a fanatic about getting awake every hour out of every day.

Comment

I remember that. We were probably standing near you. We always go real early, before the gate opens. We ramp-sit so early gets you a better position and I have not yet brought myself to buy reserve tickets so I don't have to do this. That year wewent even earlier then stood out there listening to his runs, sneaking a peek through the wire and asking WTF?
                          In their defense they do not have the staffing there that early.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

The gate down by the IF-1 hangar is open early, but you must have a seaon-pass wrist band to get in. That's the beauty of buying the the combination General Admission and Pit Pass wrist band that NAG members buy. ;-)

Entered that gate to be with the officiating team that timed the Hughes Replica that way that year you speak of. Early morning walk of the ramp as the sun starts to rise is fantastic!
                            Betty

Comment

I plan to. It's still just a little out of my budget for the races the last couple years. Budget is so tight it does not include food and drink, just gen. admit tickets. Next year!?!
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X