Off Topic: Split Thread - World War II Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: Split Thread - World War II Politics

"Sleeping here a brave air-hero who lost youth and happiness for this Mother land. July 25 (Signed-) Nippon Army"?

Atypical behavior of all branches of the military of Japan
    during World War II.
    Sorry, but too many in this country are oblivious to this fact
    and I am not going to let it slide.
    Rampking

Re: Memorial Day 2011-Remembering WW2's Forgotten Front

Originally posted by rampking View Post
    "Sleeping here a brave air-hero who lost youth and happiness for this Mother land. July 25 (Signed-) Nippon Army"?

Atypical behavior of all branches of the military of Japan
    during World War II.
    Sorry, but too many in this country are oblivious to this fact
    and I am not going to let it slide.
    After Bin Laden was killed, I was reminded of the funeral that was given to Richtofen. Not that I necessarily believe Bin Laden deserved that kind of honor, but my thoughts went there nonetheless. That's also where this story took me.

It's no secret that the Japanese military machine was absolutely brutal. A little looking into their campaign in China will put that question to bed. However, it's good to hear of these stories of honorable soldiers. Even if they're atypical.

Comment

While I see rampking's point, I have to wonder just how atypical is was early in the war. As I understand it, the Japanese war culture only had contempt for anyone that surrendered and did not fight to the death. But I would think think that those that did fight to the death were considered to have honor. Wouldnt you love to meet the guy who wrote that inscription? I have never heard one word of critisism from a Japanese sourse over us machine guning their pilots in their chutes or shooting surrendering Japanese soldiers en mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
        While I see rampking's point, I have to wonder just how atypical is was early in the war. As I understand it, the Japanese war culture only had contempt for anyone that surrendered and did not fight to the death. But I would think think that those that did fight to the death were considered to have honor. Wouldnt you love to meet the guy who wrote that inscription? I have never heard one word of critisism from a Japanese sourse over us machine guning their pilots in their chutes or shooting surrendering Japanese soldiers en mass.
        I see there indeed is some education that needs to be taught here.
        Shooting the Japanese pilots in their chutes?
        The Japanese pilots didn't have chutes early in the war.
        I would like to see a date, battle and location where the U.S. proceded to "shooting surrendering Japanese soldier en mass"
        ( I'll be looking for the "mass surrendering" you are mentioning)

One merely needs to read and understand the story of Captain Ed Dyess (Dyess AFB).
        Within the testimony of one serviceman...the courage and sacrifice of our men,
        and the absolute brutality of the entire Japanese military, at the BEGINNING of the war in the Pacific.
        Rampking

Comment

Long time lurking in the shaddows but had to sound off. I just finished the book " unbroken", about ernie zamperini's life and experiences. After crashing in a b-24 and surviving 2 months at sea to be captured and brutalized by many of his captors.
          great book, maybe death in combat was honorable but treatment of citizens and pows was atrocious at best.
          Last edited by ramp mouse; 06-02-2011, 06:17 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Comment

Originally posted by ramp mouse View Post
            Long time lurking in the shaddows but had to sound off. I just finished the book " unbroken", about ernie zamperini's life and experiences. After crashing in a b-24 and surviving 2 months at sea to be captured and brutalized by many of his captors.
            great book, maybe death in combat was honorable but treatment of citizens and pows was atrocious at best.
            You can also read Flyboys (not the movie) or Greg Boyington's book Baa Baa Blacksheep to get a feel for the Japanese treatment of POWs. I'm not sure where I read it, perhaps in Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography, about the Japanese treatment of civilian Chinese.

I'll say it again, though. While it's important to remember these kind of atrocities, let's be thankful for the honorable Japanese soldiers who treated our fallen pilot with honor and grace.

Comment

Working...
            X