Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revmaster 2180 on a Cassutt IIIM

Hi Folks,
    I am looking to pick up a Cassutt IIIM soon and I have already have a Revmaster 2180 I was thinking of placing in it instead of the O-200's. I would appreciate insight on how feasible this is. I understand performance would not be comparable but I figure it will serve as my entry into air racing.
    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Revmaster 2180 on a Cassutt IIIM

Not familiar with the Cassutt IIIM, but you stated replacing the O-200. So I looked up the following from the Formula 1 homepage.

The International Formula One racing class is designed and built to the following
    specifications:
    1. ENGINES
    1.1 Only Teledyne Continental "C" series or 0-200 engines (or their licensed versions) may be
    used for Formula One racing. The use of Teledyne Continental factory or other officially
    approved parts available to all contestants is mandatory. The "C" series engines mavy be
    modified with the above parts to provide the same horsepower as the 0-200 engine.

Unless the Revmaster is a licensed version of it, I'd say it wouldn't be withing the specs and not eligible. Might be wrong, lets hear from some of the F1 guys.

Good luck either way.

Comment

The Revmaster is a VW engine and better suited for a Sonerai than a Cassutt.

Mixing and matching engines to airframes they were not designed for will end up being twice as expensive as going with what the designer intended.

If you want to race at Reno, the Cassutt with a O-200 is what you need. If you want to race SARL, then your Revmaster on a Sonerai would be fine.
      John Smutny

Comment

Originally posted by eagledriver View Post
        The Revmaster is a VW engine and better suited for a Sonerai than a Cassutt.

Mixing and matching engines to airframes they were not designed for will end up being twice as expensive as going with what the designer intended.

If you want to race at Reno, the Cassutt with a O-200 is what you need. If you want to race SARL, then your Revmaster on a Sonerai would be fine.
        I am not looking to race, just have fun flying around. I got the engine for really cheap and there is fuse I am looking at that is really cheap. The weight of the O-200 and the Revmaster are very comparable and that is why I am even considering this. I would love a Sonerai I but have not found anything that is worth picking up.

Comment

If they are really cheap, then they are really cheap. Please make the right decision for yourself, and ensure you use the best and safest stuff you can afford in the aircraft your butt will be riding around in.

I like the saying, "The price is too high if the price is cheap."
          Scotty G

Comment

Working...
          X