OT; P-51's over Alva, OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT; P-51's over Alva, OK

Hey everyone, I was in Alva, OK this past weekend for a wedding and Saturday around 1:30 pm there were two Mustangs flying in formation directly over Alva Regional Airport. They flew over in formation at least 4 or 5 times by themselves then they added what looked like two RVs for a few more passes. Like every other time, I didn't have a camera ready or I would have taken pics. They looked to be in polished metal skin with a yellow belly on one of them. Did anyone see them too or have any information.

I just thought it was pretty random 'cause here I am in little Alva, OK and see this. It was pretty sweet!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: OT; P-51's over Alva, OK

Registered just so I could reply to your post. I know it's a few months old, but no one replied so I thought I would.

There are two Mustangs hangared at Alva Regional Aiport,

N451D "Sweet and Lovely" is a D series, serial number 44-73279BB. Restoration was completed in 2003 and she won "Best Fighter" as Oshkosh that year. Then, in 2004, she won the Oshkosh Grand Champion award. She is flown regularly.

The other, N5551D (also registered as N95RB, to go with her serial) is "Little Rebel" she is also a D series, serial number 45-11495. Unfortunatley, I don't know much about her. She is also stationed out of Alva Regional.

The two fly together pretty regularly. It's my understanding that they make the airshow circuit together.

Comment

I appreciate your information! Thanks for posting that. It was pretty cool to see thats for sure.
      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

You're very welcome. We fly up to Alva a few times a month to see friends and partake in their 'free fly-in breakfast'. Have a buddy in OKC with a T-28 and "friends of friends" with Brent (Miss America Owner)" - they're tooling around the skies over north OKC just about every weekend doing low passes at Sundance (HSD) air park. Never seen bigger kids than those that own old Warbirds. We're all just 10-year-olds with bigger versions of the cast toys we "flew" around sandbox. Maintenance is a bit more costly though.

Glad you noticed them overhead!

Comment

Working...
        X