Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're BAAAaaaack.....

That's me right now.

Sitting in the park today with some friends, I heard a noise in the distance slowly growing closer. "That sounds like a big radial" I said out loud, standing and staring.

Through the trees I could barely see an aircraft passing by. I waited for it to come out from behind the trees, only to be pleasantly surprised to see that it had turned in our direction. "Whups! Four big radials..." I corrected as a big beautiful B-24 came into view.

The Wings of Freedom group from the Collings Foundation have returned. They should be flying the south San Francisco bay area skies until the end of next week, unless they extend it for some reason (Hey, there's a lot of well-paid Google employees on the northwest side of Moffett Field, hint-hint).

Since then I have seen the B-24 several times and the P-51 and the B-17 once each. Is a B-25 or anything else with them this year ? I ask because I haven't spotted any other old birds yet. The Mitchell came with the last 2 years.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM.

Re: They're BAAAaaaack.....

Here's a shot through the nose of the B-17 with Folsom Lake below. Need I say anything more?
    Attached Files

Comment

other tham the wooden amo boxes, it looks like a new build!!
      Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Look who was flying it to Moffett!
        Attached Files
        http://evanflys.com/

Comment

I stopped at Bakersfield on the way home from Chino last week and saw them flying around down there......was kinda kewl to come from a warbird airshow and travel some distance and still see warbirds.
          Brian

Comment

They come to my A&P school sometimes. At least I think it was them. They brought a B-24 that ended up throwing a rod...still sitting on the ramp months later.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=1&theater

Pic was not taken in 2008
            Last edited by gcd89; 05-22-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              I stopped at Bakersfield on the way home from Chino last week and saw them flying around down there......was kinda kewl to come from a warbird airshow and travel some distance and still see warbirds.
              Brian

I hear ya. Getting daily doses of P-51 fly-by's is great for my health and well-being.

Just wish I had the 2000+ bucks to be on one of those 1/2 hr. trips.

Comment

Originally posted by evanflys View Post
                Look who was flying it to Moffett!
                Nice pic there Evan.

Now that Mr. Martin has some "seat time" in the Liberator, maybe the Collings folks will let him bring it to Reno to race in the Bronze.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Imagine that big thing down in the weeds in the VOS...
                Mark Johnson
                Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

I've booked a ride with Will in the TP-51C on June 7th out of Santa Rosa. It's a dream come true.
                  Mike

Comment

Will flying will be icing on the cake. Enjoy the dream come true. beerchug:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X