Get started in Air Racing/ Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get started in Air Racing/ Intro

Well this forum doesn't seem to have an intro area so I guess Ill post this here, if you don't like it just remove it. I am 19 years old I live in Florida, I love aircraft, I have my whole life, I also love and race motocross I have since I was 16 and I also play guitar mainly classic rockabilly, metal and hard rock like Led Zeppelin, Carl Perkins, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Iron Maiden.

Now what I really want to know is how to get started in Air Racing? I know I will need a pilots license, IR, problem Aerobatics license too I assume, and LOTS of cash. I probably won't be able to get my license for a few years (too much money sadly) but in the mean time still attend air shows, races and admire aircraft.
    "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Re: Get started in Air Racing/ Intro

Welcome!

The first thing is a Fast plane with a "ROUND" front end! Second, you will need myself, Shawn (Shawn Aero), Leo, Lonnie and Don (Bear Hauler) as a pit crew. We may not be able to make the plane faster, but we would look cool drinking beers behind the ropes!
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
      Welcome!

The first thing is a Fast plane with a "ROUND" front end! Second, you will need myself, Shawn (Shawn Aero), Leo, Lonnie and Don (Bear Hauler) as a pit crew. We may not be able to make the plane faster, but we would look cool drinking beers behind the ropes!
      Hey, you've gotta have priorities!

Seriously, though. I've had more success by just visiting this and other message boards and getting to know the people here. Many here are private pilots, some are race pilots, some are military pilots, some are commercial pilots, some are all of those! We have a lot of people on here who work (read volunteer) on pit crews. IMHO that's the best way to get in to air racing - volunteer to polish someone's airplane!
      Last edited by mrcraigarcher; 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM. Reason: Added more stuff.

Comment

Check out the RARA "Rules of Competition". That outlines the minimum requirements for race pilots.

From there, check out the rules for whatever class you are wishing to race in, as they have their own individual requirements, too (which differ from each other).

Comment

Find some guy who's driving a red Corvette. He'll get you in.

Comment

How to get into air racing.

1. Learn to fly, real good. This takes 15 years and 3000hrs in the left seat. Unless your last name is Hinton.
            2. Learn how to make a bunch of money.
            3. Keep most of your money and buy Dago Red with the rest of it. Or buy a TF-51 and convert it to a race plane. (This will soon be the only way to enter air racing)
            4. Show up at PRS and do well.
            5. Show up at Reno in mid-September with your plane, crew and beer, (crew fuel). Run it till she breaks, or you win.
            6. Sell everything and retire to play golf.

Cheers and best of luck.
            '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I'm with Propellerhead...look for the guy in the red Corvette.

It also helps if your old man runs a crop-dusting outfit.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Take it with a grain of salt......

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
                Hey, you've gotta have priorities!

Seriously, though. I've had more success by just visiting this and other message boards and getting to know the people here. Many here are private pilots, some are race pilots, some are military pilots, some are commercial pilots, some are all of those! We have a lot of people on here who work (read volunteer) on pit crews. IMHO that's the best way to get in to air racing - volunteer to polish someone's airplane!
                Alright thats exactly why I came here man, thank you. Ill definitely get to know people.
                "I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                  How to get into air racing.

1. Learn to fly, real good. This takes 15 years and 3000hrs in the left seat. Unless your last name is Hinton.
                  2. Learn how to make a bunch of money.
                  3. Keep most of your money and buy Dago Red with the rest of it. Or buy a TF-51 and convert it to a race plane. (This will soon be the only way to enter air racing)
                  4. Show up at PRS and do well.
                  5. Show up at Reno in mid-September with your plane, crew and beer, (crew fuel). Run it till she breaks, or you win.
                  6. Sell everything and retire to play golf.

Cheers and best of luck.
                  LOL alright I wonder what Dago Red will sell for in 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                    Check out the RARA "Rules of Competition". That outlines the minimum requirements for race pilots.

From there, check out the rules for whatever class you are wishing to race in, as they have their own individual requirements, too (which differ from each other).
                    Slow down man, I need my license first and a plane

Comment

1. Start working on your pilot license AND you A&P license. Learn all you can about flying and the aircraft systems. Working on your own equipment will save you money and may help with making connections in the racing community. Have you considered joining the military as an aviator? Many of the race pilots are former military pilots.

2. Get some aerobatic and formation flying training.

3. Start with the Formula 1 class then look at moving into the Sport class. The top of the Sport class will be seriously pushing the Unlimiteds by the time your ready.

4. Come to Reno and talk with the race pilots and teams. Volunteer your time to a race team if you can. Possibly find a mentor.

Good luck to you in however you decide to approach it!
                      Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                        1. Start working on your pilot license AND you A&P license. Learn all you can about flying and the aircraft systems. Working on your own equipment will save you money and may help with making connections in the racing community. Have you considered joining the military as an aviator? Many of the race pilots are former military pilots.

2. Get some aerobatic and formation flying training.

3. Start with the Formula 1 class then look at moving into the Sport class. The top of the Sport class will be seriously pushing the Unlimiteds by the time your ready.

4. Come to Reno and talk with the race pilots and teams. Volunteer your time to a race team if you can. Possibly find a mentor.

Good luck to you in however you decide to approach it!
                        Actually I wanted to join the military but I was born with scoliosis so I can't get in I already failed MEPS twice. Ill looking to doing everything else you said though.

Comment

Originally posted by MXrider13 View Post
                          Slow down man, I need my license first and a plane
                          No slow, only GO!
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                            No slow, only GO!
                            Alright

Comment

I've got the car but not the contacts! Besides, I won't drive it off the road at 5 MPH when buzzed...
                              I would think you could get into the F-1 or Biplane classes RELATIVELY cheaply. Buying the plane is a fraction of it though. Buy a used racer (I've seen several "for sale" there in the past) and you will probably want to rebuild it. Add a crew and costs to be there (even if they are volunteer friends) and associated stuff. Still not totally outrageous if you have the money to spend on a hobby.
                              If you're going to do the flying you have a lot of it to do just to prepare and it ain't cheap. A job in aviation would be a must I would think at least nowadays. It will also take some time to build hours and skills so be patient. I know guys half my age that are pro pilots and have thousands of hours. As a hobbyist I spent years washing, running wings, hooking tow and just about everything else to get the lessons and pay for rentals. Once I was there, I built a little over 300 hours in 6 YEARS spending every extra penny and piece of spare time, so you have to be MUCH more serious about it than I was!
                              Stick with it though. Hard work and sacrifice get you what you want eventually.
                              Then Deepsky, Shawn, Lonnie, Don will wak it and drink your beer.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X