OT: Stumbled across something interesting on Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Stumbled across something interesting on Google Earth

I've been reading the book "Blackbird Rising" about the SR71 and the author mentioned that there was a very temporary radar test site build on the south side of a dry lake called Silver lake. I pulled up Google Earth and started looking. I think the location is just north of Baker. Finding Silver lake was not easy (I more or less tripped over it while searching all the listed pictures to find some reference to it.) While scanning back and forth on a line between Edwards and Las Vegas (referenced as such by the book.) I stumbled across what looks to be a very long runway out in the middle of no where. Located at 35 Degrees 17'13.08" N 117 degrees 06'16.34"W. It looks to be abandoned, however I can see 11 aircraft there. They look to be perhaps F101s. A few of them on on the runway and others are parked in what look to be hardened bunkers. Anyone know anything about this place. The image was dated 1-1-06 so who knows if its still there. If you type "Superior Dry Lake" into the search and go north and west a little bit you should be able to find it.

I didn't find the temp radar range but it might still be out there since the book said they never went back to pick it up.

Will
    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM.

Re: OT: Stumbled across something interesting on Google Earth

That is pretty interesting. The airplanes looked to be F-4's. Also looks like the runway is not paved, but dirt. I wonder why the planes are just sitting there, I assume they're non flyable........Just to the east of there is Goldstone......has a long paved runway and then to the north is what appears to be a radio telescope.

Comment

Its the Superior Valley Tactical Training Range. It has simulated airfield, SAM, and convoy targets, including this fake airfield and what look to be some F-4's and maybe other aircraft on it. It's part of the China Lake range, Restricted Area R2524.

Comment

Interesting. I found a few other VERY long runways out in the middle of no place as well.

Anyone have any more info on the radar test range on Silver lake? I'm guessing its now a bunch of rusted metal, but it would be interesting to see where it is.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          Interesting. I found a few other VERY long runways out in the middle of no place as well.

Anyone have any more info on the radar test range on Silver lake? I'm guessing its now a bunch of rusted metal, but it would be interesting to see where it is.

Will
          Do you mean the one near lake Silverwood?
          Helendale Avionics Facility Lockheed Martin Corporation 17452 Wheeler Road Helendale, CA 92342 The Helendale Radar Cross Section Facility is an aircraft research facility developed and operated by the Lockheed Martin Corporation. It is a secretive test range developed at an old WWII training field, used to measure the radar reflectivity of stealth aircraft designs. There are assembly facilities located underneath the old runway, and prototypical forms tested outside on the range are mounted on hydraulic pylons that rise out of the ground through doors in the runway surface. The facility is one of at least three Radar Cross-Section facilities owned by the major aerospace companies and located in the Antelope Valley area. It is at facilities such as this where stealth technologies, like the F-117 and B-2, and Joint Strike Fighter are developed. This airfield was established in 1942 as a satellite field for Victorville AAF (later renamed George AFB). Helendale continued to operate as a satellite field for Victorville AAF until the end of WW2. Helendale was reused after WW2 as a private civilian airfield. Starting in 1983, the runways were reused as a radar cross section testing range by Lockheed. It is the most mechanically sophisticated of the Mojave Desert RCS ranges, and was expanded in 1985. One of the 3 paved runways (4/22, 4,600') of the old airstrip is still maintained & operational, and has lighting for night operations.

Trust me, it won't rust out there...
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer View Post
            Do you mean the one near lake Silverwood?
            Helendale Avionics Facility Lockheed Martin Corporation 17452 Wheeler Road Helendale, CA 92342 The Helendale Radar Cross Section Facility is an aircraft research facility developed and operated by the Lockheed Martin Corporation. It is a secretive test range developed at an old WWII training field, used to measure the radar reflectivity of stealth aircraft designs. There are assembly facilities located underneath the old runway, and prototypical forms tested outside on the range are mounted on hydraulic pylons that rise out of the ground through doors in the runway surface. The facility is one of at least three Radar Cross-Section facilities owned by the major aerospace companies and located in the Antelope Valley area. It is at facilities such as this where stealth technologies, like the F-117 and B-2, and Joint Strike Fighter are developed. This airfield was established in 1942 as a satellite field for Victorville AAF (later renamed George AFB). Helendale continued to operate as a satellite field for Victorville AAF until the end of WW2. Helendale was reused after WW2 as a private civilian airfield. Starting in 1983, the runways were reused as a radar cross section testing range by Lockheed. It is the most mechanically sophisticated of the Mojave Desert RCS ranges, and was expanded in 1985. One of the 3 paved runways (4/22, 4,600') of the old airstrip is still maintained & operational, and has lighting for night operations.

Trust me, it won't rust out there...
            Nope, I don't think thats it. Its referneced as Silver lake several times. Also it states that is pretty remote and likely to only be found by wayward 4 wheelers. The dry lake north of Baker is Silver lake. Its also referenced by as being close to Ft Irwin and inline with Las Vegas from Edwards. Looking at google earth, you can pretty much draw a straight line frome Edwards to Las Vegas and Silver lake falls in there.

Will

Comment

Ever heard of 'Red Flag'? Now you know.

Comment

I did a search for "Superior Dry Lake" and it brought up an area just north and east of Sacramento. Very near Beal AFB where the SR-71's were based. Of course I didn't find the airfield your talking about.

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Speaking of long runways not being used.......

Does anybody here have any knowledge of 10,000 foot runways in good condition that can be used to hold a "standing mile event" much like the texas mile?

Our airfield (dade-collier training and transition) is closed to these events as Dade and Collier counties fight over who controls this field and I don't know how long this will take.

We're scheduled to go to nasa with "guinness book of world records" and tag heuer timing equipment but it is unbelievably expensive.

Texas is too short for the projected 280+ top speed we will be reaching so I am asking if there are other runways in america that can be used.

Comment

Rickenbacker south of Columbus, OH?
                    Complete aeronautical information about Rickenbacker International Airport (Columbus, OH, USA), including location, runways, taxiways, navaids, radio frequencies, FBO information, fuel prices, sunrise and sunset times, aerial photo, airport diagram.

Two runways, no waiting!
                    • 5R/23L: 12102 x 200 ft
                    • 5L/23R: 11902 x 150 ft.

Comment

Thanks...will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                      X