PRS photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS photos

I posted a similar message at different site so this is a repeat. This is the first time the public has seem any of my photos so comments and constructive criticism is appreciated. Also, I apologize for the site but it is free. After you click on an image, make sure you then click on "Full Size" which is about 900x600, so it will not cripple dial-up users.

Thanks

Bill Pearce

Bill's PRS photos
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Nice shots. I like the low level, wide angle stuff. Gives me ideas. At least I'll be there on Sunday the 7th to try to get some of these pics before the crowds get there later in the week.

I noticed on an early morning shot you can see your shadow. Big NO, NO. I have been guilty of this more than a few times myself. Nothing like a shot of shiny prop spinner with my ugly reflection looking back at me!!

I have to ask digital, or film?

Comment

Thanks

Digital

Yeah that shadow ticked me off. It was an evening shot and I wanted to be as high as I could, the sun was low, and you see the results.

Thanks for the input

Bill Pearce
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Bill,

Nice shots, I'm impressed both with your work and the new camera!

And what shadow was that

Seriously, that's what the "clone" tool (can't remember what PS calls it) is for.. I did a really quickie job and it can be done much better by selecting less opacity on each pass and progressively taking out that which does not belong...

Now, journalistically, this is a huge no-no.. (an LA Times reporter lost his job over a "photoshopping" incident in the Iraq war) however, artistically, or for a promotional shot, I believe this is an acceptable thing to do. (dodging arrows and bricks thrown my way)

Seriously though, when shooting an "art" shot, even using a polarizing filter is altering the reality of the shot and this is a very common practice, both artistically and in journalistic shots.. so what's the difference between altering post shot or during shot?

For the record, I would never publish or accept an altered shot for a "journalistic" piece.... but would and do accept "processed" work for artistic work..

Making sense??

Wayne
        Attached Files
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I did the same thing in PS last night. I am still learning the program, being new to digital and all. I agree with you on the photo manipulation topic.

Now I need a press pass...... How can I get one when the real "press" have difficulties? Hmmmm.....

BP
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Bill.. photo manipulation is by far, not limited to digital.. I believe even Ansel Adams was pretty "famous" for his post production work.. In fact, a lot of the terms in PS mimic that which were/are used in film processing..

Media access has become very limited and yes, some legitimate people with assignments from publishers have fallen through the cracks.

There was a time when it was very much getting abused (media access) the pendulum has swung the other way for now..

It is, indeed, a privilege to be able to get the access.. indeed!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

More Pics

I added a small Flying Dutchman and Speedball Alice "Gallery". Also added quite a few Sept Fury, a couple of Rare Bear... well you get the idea.... more pics. Rare Bear and Sept Fury have two pages.

Bill Pearce

Link
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Nice work Bill...

Question.. are you using autofocus or manual in your action shots? Reason I ask, I believe we're using the same long lens and mine's gotten pretty darn soft using autofocus. I'm thinking that I've got a collection of dust inside the lens that might be throwing off the focus...

Looking at the lens in direct light at PRS, I noticed a LOT of specs on the inside elements that I could see...

I think it might be time to take that bugger in and get it cleaned/serviced..

BTW.. have you seen any of the hoopla about the new Nikon D2H upcoming release?

Something new to lust after.. right behind some higher quality glass!

Or before.. or... wishing I had the bux to "just do it"

Really nice shots Bill!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thank you Wayne.

Yes we are using the same lens. I was using autofocus. Sure it just isn't you getting old?

I think the official D2H press relese will be July 22nd. Nikon is also begining to develop their own sensor; a CMOS style LBCAST. You are prbably getting this info from the same place I am. D2H is supposedly going to be around $3500. Also a new Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 AFS VR rummored between $2500-9000. Have you purchased a lotto ticket?

BP
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Nikon???

Silly, silly Nikon people. Just kidding of course.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                      Thank you Wayne.

Yes we are using the same lens. I was using autofocus. Sure it just isn't you getting old?
                      *some people's kids..* Remind me to smack ya one next time I see ya's

Actually, I think I have more steady hands now than I did when I was younger. Part of my old job (in my past life) involved a fair amount of mechanical work in the winter, mostly engine work and work that usually involved a lot of patience and steady hands.. I honestly don't think it's that.. nice thought tho..

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                      I think the official D2H press relese will be July 22nd. Nikon is also begining to develop their own sensor; a CMOS style LBCAST. You are prbably getting this info from the same place I am. D2H is supposedly going to be around $3500. Also a new Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 AFS VR rummored between $2500-9000. Have you purchased a lotto ticket?
                      LOL... not a gambler

Having bought into the first generation of "affordable" digital SLR's.. and knowing all you guys bought your's just because of seeing mine I think Nikon ought to just give me a nice new shiny D2H so's I can get ya'll lusting after my hardware again

No lottery winnings in the kitty... I'll haveta settle for some new glass (maybe, we'll see after I ship my Sigma off for service/cleaning if I still feel I need it) and mebbie a new body next year..

Mebbie!

I've just finally about broke even on the first $5000. that I laid out for the D1.. nice thing about digital, it pays back, every time you don't have to buy that brick of nice cold Fuji!

The film companies know that they are in an, eventually, lost battle with digital.. Watch for some ABSOLUTELY AMAZING technology to come down the pike in the next few years.. The last die-hard film guys will come around, eventually (you reading this Neal ) I'd bet money on it.. (if I was a gambling man)

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Nikon???

Originally posted by T. Adams
                        Silly, silly Nikon people. Just kidding of course.
                        LOL.. remind me to smack *you* a good one too next time I see ya's!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                        X