RareBear back to a 3 blade prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RareBear back to a 3 blade prop?

Today I saw three prop blades, each on a seperate big rig. The only plane I know that could spin a prop this bis (65' dia.) is the Bear.

Re: RareBear back to a 3 blade prop?

65'... ? I think The Bear would need leg extensions to make that work.
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      65'... ? I think The Bear would need leg extensions to make that work.
      They are blades for wind generators, probably headed to the BAy Area. Was a fun thought though, the Bear with a monster prop......

Comment

They could always ground loop it to shave it to the required length.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
          They are blades for wind generators, probably headed to the BAy Area. Was a fun thought though, the Bear with a monster prop......
          I figured that's what you were refering to when you said they were each loaded on their own trailer. If I go just up the street a little ways I can see the windfarm at the Montezuma Hills in Suisun.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

That's where all the good balsa wood is going. Three guys lately have had brand new F3A models have structural failures (they were ARF's). Light wood that's left for modeling is all punky or wind checked?
            Chris...

Comment

I love props! Even the really big ones! Every time I see one of those (wind generators) it makes me feel like we're giving a big FINGER to the oil guys.... (whichever country they come from)
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Well what I was thinking is..............

..........RareBear uses that windmil prop and becomes a VTOL craft.

Comment

hmmm here in Dunedin NZ the first 12 turbines of a 100 turbine wind farm have just been finished... the prop diameter is about 85' and the nacelles weigh 75 tonnes... the turbines arrived by sea and were transported the 30 miles from Dunedin City to Mahinerangi (the area) by road. Special exemptions had to be made to road transport the components as trucks in NZ can weigh a total of 44 tonnes on the road. due to the size of the components they had to be transported between midnight and 5am.
                  Attached Files
                  race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al
                    It's been a lonnnnnnng Winter up your way, hasn't it Bob?
                    Al, you have no idea...........
                    We had more snow last weekend, suppposed to rain this weekend. It just never ends. We accumulated 10ft+ of snow this winter.
                    I need sun
                    I need sun badly

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      I love props! Even the really big ones! Every time I see one of those (wind generators) it makes me feel like we're giving a big FINGER to the oil guys.... (whichever country they come from)
                      Actually, were the ones getting screwed as wind and solar has to be highly subsidized just to make it competitive with oil. What we need is nuclear power like, dare I say.....France.

Jarrod
                      Last edited by jarrodeu; 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                        Actually, were the ones getting screwed as wind and solar has to be highly subsidized just to make it competitive with oil. What we need is nuclear power like, dare I say.....France.

Jarrod
                        Agreed. Just hope the incident in Japan doesn't set us back 20 years (again) in rolling out new reactors.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                          Agreed. Just hope the incident in Japan doesn't set us back 20 years (again) in rolling out new reactors.
                          It probably will. And that is funny seeing how everything stopped in 1979.

I live next to a nuke plant (explains a lot I guess). Its license is up for renewal and "Mothers for Peace" and others want to stop the renewal. It seems they forget it is the largest employer in the county, it is the largest property tax generator in the county, and as an added bonus, it creates almost pollution-free power.

Seeing how nuke power has resulted in 3 deaths (Idaho Falls) in the US since the beginning of time, it must be dangerous. Not as dangerous as pillows and ice cream cones, but still, very dangerous.

Oh, uh... Go Bear.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                            Not as dangerous as pillows and ice cream cones, but still, very dangerous.
                            And plastic bags, ladders, 5 gallon buckets, automobiles...

Comment

I hate to turn this conversation, but the wind power thing cracks me up. For all of you thinking types, that are near wind farms, here is challange. Figure out the OD of the blades and the RPM and let us know how fast the tip speed is. It kills a whole lot of birds of prey that are illigal to hunt or get a feather off of. Killing them with Government subsidized investments is OK though.

Comment

Working...
                              X