sport airrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sport airrace

there is a sport airrace this weekend in sherman tx, there is also one on the 30th in abilene tx, I went to the one in taylor last week and it was alot of fun check it out sportairrace.org

Re: sport airrace

I've entered the race and hope to make it but the 80% chance of thunderstorms predicted here (St Louis area) on Friday may keep me from getting there. The races are a lot of fun and I'd recommend that others come check it out. There is everything from a P-51 to a Cessna 172 entered in the race http://www.sportairrace.org/id186.html You don't have to have any experience to enter the races and you can race anything factory or experimental. They let the fastest plane go first, then the second fastest, etc. That way passing is almost eliminated and it is safe for those of us not quite Reno ready.
    Dave Adams
    Long EZ N83DT
    Race 83

Comment

Originally posted by Race83 View Post
      I've entered the race and hope to make it but the 80% chance of thunderstorms predicted here (St Louis area) on Friday may keep me from getting there. The races are a lot of fun and I'd recommend that others come check it out. There is everything from a P-51 to a Cessna 172 entered in the race http://www.sportairrace.org/id186.html You don't have to have any experience to enter the races and you can race anything factory or experimental. They let the fastest plane go first, then the second fastest, etc. That way passing is almost eliminated and it is safe for those of us not quite Reno ready.
      Are scores staggered or what?

What's the point of "racing for the rest of us" if the P51 automatically wins....

Comment

I believe you race against the clock, not each other. That would make more sense. Arrive too early before or too late after your appointed time and lose points, just like some auto rallies. Speed doesn't matter so much.

How else could you pit Skylanes against 'Stangs?

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
          I believe you race against the clock, not each other. That would make more sense. Arrive too early before or too late after your appointed time and lose points, just like some auto rallies. Speed doesn't matter so much.

How else could you pit Skylanes against 'Stangs?
          That's not how we do it. The different aircraft entered are classed to make it more fair. I don't race against the Mustang, but it sure is interesting being in an event with one. The classes are at the bottom of this page - http://www.sportairrace.org/id1.html

I only race with those in Sprint class, which is experimental and less than 240 CI engines.

The fastest aircraft is launched first and then the next slower etc, until the slowest of the pack is launched. That way, theoretically, passing is eliminated to increase safety.

It's not as exciting as Reno style racing, but it's not nearly as dangerous either.
          Dave Adams
          Long EZ N83DT
          Race 83

Comment

Working...
          X