Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Re: Maybe...

Originally posted by W J Pearce
      How about an Allison 3420?
      Ding Ding Ding Ding!!

Annnd you are absolutely correct!

Shot at the Weeks "Fantasy of Flight" Museum on our trip to Florida... (just after I killed the taxiway light) <ahem> (hey... it was on the first officers side of the.... <ahem>.... car )

This is some of what their "blurb board" says about the engine..

"The Allison V-3420 was actually two 12-cylinder V-1710s, each with its own crankshaft, spread out fanwise on a common crankcase and geared to a common propeller shaft. Completed in 1940, the good news was that the V-3420 was the world's most powerful aircraft engine but the bad news was that, at that time, there was no aircraft in which it could be used.....

This engine remains one of those "what might have been" stories in aviation history."

Boy.. I'll say!!

Woulld love to hear that badboy!!!!!

We'll have more of this engine and all the other stuff that we took shots of at our "whirllwind tour" of Kermit's museum in an "upcoming" gallery (we're sooooooo behind at the moment!).

Great place, looks like he spent a ton-o-bucks to build the new facility! One can only hope that Mr. Weeks is able to continue with what is one of the larger contributions to warbird restorations!

You simply have to see "Ina The Macon Belle" to appreciate the depth of the resto's that the Weeks museum funds. Even the pilot of the airplane stated that "it never looked that good when I flew it" the state of the polished metal is... well... flawless. Just a beautifully done airplane and one we got the chance to see fly at Oshkosh last year.. Outstanding Kermitt! (anyone remember if he uses two or one "t" in his first name??)

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think he uses one T. Is the new place hurricane proof?

The most famous (or infamous) plane the 3420 was in was the XP-75, which has a somewhat unsuccessful history. The engine had problems, but also potential and it seemed to fair better than the DB 610 and 613. It was installed in 4 a/c XP-75, XP-58, XB-19, and XB-39. Bottom line was that jets were better; I still perfer pistons.

Bill Pearce
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Re: 3420

Originally posted by W J Pearce
          I think he uses one T. Is the new place hurricane proof?
          Good question Bill and one I'm sure Kermit asks himself often!

From what I remember and Bear has some pix that might confirm this more, the building is a pretty substantial concrete structure which was made to look old, or has a damn good restoration on it because it looks like an Art Deco design but looks brand new.. It did seem to have a conventional roof truss structure though. If I remember correctly though, the open sides (with doors) are on the predominently leeward side of the building. I guess if you anchor beams correctly, they can withstand a pretty strong blow. Is there such a thing as a "hurricane proof" bldg? I worked in the roofing industry for years and remember that there were definately standards set by Dade County after their big blow but not sure what those standards were.

However you cut it. If you are an aviation enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to go to Polk City Florida and visit the museum, at least one day. Take the kids and do Dworld also. Very nice part of the country to visit.. While you're there.. go have lunch at the Lakeland/Linder airport and tell em the tip goes toward runway improvements, specifically replacement of taxiway lights and tell em we sent ya

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Birds against a hurricane

If I remember correctly, in one of the big hurricanes, (Hugo or Andrew; those are the only two I remember, I delt with earthquakes and riots, not hurricanes), Kermit's hangar was squished. Once again from memory: he flew all a/c out that could be flown, then packed all but two in the hangar. The two that were outside were double chained to the ground and were tied to cement filled buckets. The hurricane hit, relocated the two a/c about 1/2-mile away, and collaped the hanger. I think those that were in the hanger were bent up but for the most part okay. The ones that experienced pilotless flight, I don't know.

When I was a kid I went to DWorld. Now I am older and realize I should have gone to his museum; I would have enjoyed it more. I will go there someday, maybe the next time I'm in Orlando for "Business". The kids, well, they will have to put up with dad's addiction... aviation. The wife usually tolerates it!

Bill Pearce
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
            X