Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chino?

Hey all,

I'm gonna be on an Ontario (CA, not Canada) layover all day on the 29th. I know that Chino is quite close. What is there to do during the week there? Planes Of Fame, etc.?? Looking for layover advice!

Sam
    Biplane Race #3

Re: Chino?

Sam,

Yes, don't miss Planes of Fame. I was there recently and was impressed to see Steve Hinton (Sr.) working on a Sunday.

Also, stop at Yanks Air Museum (http://www.yanksair.com/Collection.html)

You won't regret your visit. Take a cab (from ONT) if you have to.

Chris

Comment

Sam,

Second Chris' suggestion. BTW, you should have been out here today. They flew the N-9M over to Riverside for their airshow. The Franklins were sounding great!

Hopefully it'll be on the lineup at Chino's show.

Bob

Comment

That little yellow wing is surely a rare bird. DO they ever plan to park it someday as too precious and too irreplaceable to fly anymore? I know they prefer flying displays, but that would be quite a loss if something unthinkable ever happened. Only replicas would/could exist after that.

Comment

It's nice to see it flying, for now. Hopefully it will be available for future generations, if only as a museum piece.

Saturday am weather was mvfr - 3+ miles vis, but low cloud height. Almost looked as though he flew a tower enroute ifr path.

Bob

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. I get in tomorrow at 11:30am and don't leave until Tuesday morning. Lots of time to play. I will be checking out POF and Yanks.

Sam
            Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
              That little yellow wing is surely a rare bird. DO they ever plan to park it someday as too precious and too irreplaceable to fly anymore? I know they prefer flying displays, but that would be quite a loss if something unthinkable ever happened. Only replicas would/could exist after that.
              It's too valuable to not fly it in my opinion. It was already rebuilt to fly after the major engine fire, so I figure it will fly for a long time to come. At least until the parts supply for those crazy rare Franklins runs out.

Comment

Woo-hoo! I can't wait until tomorrow! I am here in Ontario, got here earlier today and don't leave until Wednesday morning. Tomorrow is a full day at CNO. Thanks all for your advice!

Sam
                Biplane Race #3

Comment

Had a great day at Chino. I met some of the greatest guys who were warm and inviting to a hillbilly from Nashville peeking in all the open hangars. Special thanks to "Captain" Kirk McQuown (who even volunteered to take me back to my hotel rather than letting me pay for a cab); Jim New, and it was nice talking with Henry Combs, structural engineer on the SR-71.
                  Biplane Race #3

Comment

glad you enjoyed your visit to chino. kirk is definitely a character and a good guy to have around. i know you dont want to hear this, but you should have been here today. a B-2 made a semi low pass (maybe 2-3000ft) in a steep turn heading over paradise.

Tibias son
                    Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post
                      Sam,

Second Chris' suggestion. BTW, you should have been out here today. They flew the N-9M over to Riverside for their airshow. The Franklins were sounding great!

Hopefully it'll be on the lineup at Chino's show.

Bob
                      The N-9M was not at the Riverside Air Show...
                      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Hi Victor,

Interesting. Both my son & I watched as he flew over PDZ for what looked like the inbound for Riverside Saturday morning. Naturally, or should it be un-naturally , assumed he was headed to the show.

Thank you for the update.

Bob

Comment

The N9M flew to/from Palm Springs on the 26th.
                          Cindy

Comment

Knew we weren't just imagining things.

Thanks Cindy.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X