*Video* Friday Heat Race 2A 9/17/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Video* Friday Heat Race 2A 9/17/10

I finally got around to uploading Fridays heat race from the crew video, enjoy!!
    Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Re: *Video* Friday Heat Race 2A 9/17/10

Sweet. So many cameras!
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Miss A looked like a boat anchor as Will passed.

Comment

Great video. I'm ready for Sept. after that."Will" great stick. Go 2011 Gold.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Awesome!
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
            Miss A looked like a boat anchor as Will passed.
            Never seen an anchor that looked that good though...

Comment

This is very good video from the races, some of the best I have seen. It would be great to have more of this quality of video from the other teams. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together and post for our enjoyment. It sure makes me look forward to September.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for this, Jason! A great piece of work. Man I miss Reno.....when the radio traffic says plus six minus five, are they saying Will is six seconds in front of the pilot behind him and five seconds behind the leader or guy who is in front of Will???? The G meter is interesting to watch. What are the other parameters? Ground speed air speed knots/mph engine speed Manifold pressure furlongs per fortnight?

Comment

+6 / -5 means the leader's pace +6, so behind him, and 5 in front of 3rd.

I don't know about the rest of you but when I watch that video and they are powering up down the chute, I find myself sitting on the edge of my seat and my heart going. Then I have to remind myself that Will is the one racing and I can relax. Whew.

Jason you do great work. Thanks a bunch. (again)
                  GP

Comment

Very nice Jason, Thanks. Will you fly a nice line, good job it's gonna pay off one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                      Thanks a bunch for this, Jason! A great piece of work. Man I miss Reno.....when the radio traffic says plus six minus five, are they saying Will is six seconds in front of the pilot behind him and five seconds behind the leader or guy who is in front of Will???? The G meter is interesting to watch. What are the other parameters? Ground speed air speed knots/mph engine speed Manifold pressure furlongs per fortnight?

Top left-

Indicated Airspeed via pitot-static (mph) / Ground speed via GPS (mph)
                      G Force

Don't weigh the ground speed too much unless the plane is flying a straight line, as it bounces due to g force and the bank angle. Commercial receivers are not meant to do what we are doing with them. Add 2% of the speed per 1000ft to the indicated and you will have close to true airspeed. Example: 440 x .02 = 8.8. Then 8.8 x 5 = 44. 440 + 44 = 484 TAS.

Top right - all engine related parameters, pressures,temps,etc.

As others said, the plus/minus are calls from Kerch as to his position in reference to others around him. Really helps with situational awareness.

Michael

Comment

At least Will has never heard, "Race 4, your minus... Well... A lot..." from Kerch! I have!

Jason, as usual, excellent job - as well as Will, Kerch, Big B, and the rest of the Voodoo mafia.

Yep. Voodoo Mafia. You heard it here at AAFO first.
                        Scotty G

Comment

Thanks guys...ok, lets see if I understand this....if there were four planes racing and at any one time, Will was in third place and heard,"Plus six minus five, he would know that the first place plane was six seconds in front of him....he would not know the placement of the second place plane, but he would know that he was 5 seconds in front of the fourth place plane?
                          Michael, thanks for that refresher...I actually did get my ticket and an A&P in the middle of the last century....but I have lost alot of braincells since then.... The world is a safer place with me not being current!

Jason, I think you could make the real "Thunder Over Reno."
                          "And the Oscar for best Short film Documentery goes too...."

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
                            Thanks guys...ok, lets see if I understand this....if there were four planes racing and at any one time, Will was in third place and heard,"Plus six minus five, he would know that the first place plane was six seconds in front of him....he would not know the placement of the second place plane, but he would know that he was 5 seconds in front of the fourth place plane?
                            Michael, thanks for that refresher...I actually did get my ticket and an A&P in the middle of the last century....but I have lost alot of braincells since then.... The world is a safer place with me not being current!

Jason, I think you could make the real "Thunder Over Reno."
                            "And the Oscar for best Short film Documentery goes too...."
                            I think the +/- numbers refer to the airplanes closest in front and behind him at any given time not matter what position they are. It wouldn't do any good from a spatial awareness standpoint otherwise. I remember hearing Kerch on the radio to Skip in Dago calling the +/- to the closest aircraft, and a separate call with time to the leader if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                              I think the +/- numbers refer to the airplanes closest in front and behind him at any given time not matter what position they are. It wouldn't do any good from a spatial awareness standpoint otherwise. I remember hearing Kerch on the radio to Skip in Dago calling the +/- to the closest aircraft, and a separate call with time to the leader if needed.
                              Yes, that is correct. Thanks for the nice comments. We can't wait to come out and prove that our airplane is the fast one. We just want ..."the last 100 yards on the last lap, of the last race"! Guess where I got that one!
                              Will

Comment

Working...
                              X