Japan earthquake west coast tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan earthquake west coast tsunami

Prayers with the great spirit for all involved with the quake in Japan last night.

I was up in Portland and drove down to where I live in Long Beach at2:00 am when I saw what was happening on the "go to bed news" at 11:00

I was amazed at how much traffic was headed east as I went west toward the coast, after 2:AM!

I was not feeling any fear for my personal safety, but I certainly sensed the feeling of loss of security of those around me when I saw the quarterl mile north and south lines formed at the only open gas station at 4:00AM in Astoria, OR.

Side note: we saw pretty much nothing here on the beach, just north of the Columbia River... plus a huge part of my feeling of security is that I live eighty feet above sea level!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Japan earthquake west coast tsunami

You may not want to trust that 80 ft cushion, Wayne. On the evening of Jan 26, 1700, a 9.0 hit a fault near you. http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2007/10/outreach3.html

"Paddling around the salt marshes and tidal flats of Washington State, Atwater discovered evidence of earthquakes and giant waves of a magnitude that seemed, to many, inconceivable"

One winter's night in the year 1700, a mysterious tsunami flooded fields and washed away houses in Japan. It arrived without the warning that a nearby earthquake usually provides. Samurai, merchants, and villagers recorded the event, but nearly three centuries would pass before discoveries in North America revealed the tsunami's source.

The Orphan Tsunami of 1700 tells this scientific detective story through clues from both sides of the Pacific. The evidence uncovered tells of a catastrophe, a century before Lewis and Clark, that now helps guide preparations for future earthquakes and tsunamis in the United States and Canada.

Chris in Spokane who used to maintain the tsunami warning network for WA state.
    Last edited by Coyote Chris; 03-12-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Yea, Chris, I think about it... there is higher ground not far away but I have to traverse LOWER ground to get to it....

When we get our quake, and we will, someday, I guess I'll decide at the time, whether to go lower to go higher or, risk it at my place...

Scary world we live in....
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
        You may not want to trust that 80 ft cushion, Wayne. On the evening of Jan 26, 1700, a 9.0 hit a fault near you. http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2007/10/outreach3.html
        You can't live in fear of 100+ foot tidal waves, OR big quakes, or massive meteors, or (etc...) I'd feel just as safe from the ocean as a bug in hole at 80 feet msl. Heck, here in Mtn View I feel fine at 40 feet or so, though I admit I have a large bay with a relatively small opening to the ocean to protect me.

I mean, let's face it. There's no place on this planet where anyone can feel 100% safe. The world and the universe around it are simply too dynamic. You just live your life and hope you aren't one of the unfortunate "one-in-a -million" statistics who has mother nature drop something on them or open a hole in the ground underneath them or...well, you know.

It's people who live in houses built on stilts on very steep hillsides or on beachfront homes that make me wonder....Seems like they are just ASKING for trouble to come find them, aren't they?

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-13-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Well, the good news is that your fault only breaks about every 525 years and since it last broke 300 years ago, you probably are safe for awhile.
          Some folks have hurricanes, some tornados, we in Spokane live with fire, and volcanic eruptions, everyone has something to fear. I will probably die on my motorcycle on the way to Reno, hit by a little girl trying to drive and text at the same time.

Anyway, here's hoping the worst is over for them and a 7.0 aftershock doesnt take out another nuke plant. I can't imagine how you can even begin to clean up the airport over there let alone the coastal cities...

Comment

...and then there's Yellowstone, which is looong over due, and capable of making an incredible mess....

Just gotta enjoy it while we can

Comment

Wayne and AAFO'ers,

Thought I'd let you guys know I finally got a quick comm from Taichi... He and his family are ok. His message was very short, but very welcome! Thought I'd pass that along since many know and appreciate Taichi.
              Scotty G

Comment

Good news, Scotty. Always happy to hear that kind of report. Sending out the best of thoughts to all our friends in Japan. Know there are many who attend Race Week. I wish all of them, and everyone in the incredible country, nothing but the best.

Reach out and help if you can. Donate to Red Cross or others. They'll need all the help they can get.

BTW, interesting factoids:
                The country of Japan shifted approx. 8 feet as a result of the quake and the earth's axis shifted 4-6 inches as a result.

Now that's power...we are dust in the wind.
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                X