New Zealand Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand Earthquake

I hope all is OK with our KIWI Race Fan and all of his friends & relatives as a result of the earthquake in New Zealand.
    Lockheed Bob

Re: New Zealand Earthquake

x2. Some rough looking footage out of there. Hope your OK Kiwi.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Thanks for the messages... I am ok, im lucky i live some 300 miles south of Christchurch, though we did feel it here in Dunedin and it was scary enough. it has been a major major disaster, but the good news is as of the last couple of hours they have rescued 10 more people alive from the rubble of the buildings, and have found at least 15 more in another of the destroyed buildings.
      I have been talking with many friends, and customers and every single person i know has been affected some way, i was talking to a customer in the store i work in and as we were talking he recieved a text message from a friend who had been missing since the quake struck, she was found alive in the rubble of a building..
      The quake that hit was smaller than the quake that struck christchurch in September, but it was 6 times closer to the centre of the city, and also 6 times shallower than the first quake.
      Christchurch Airport has re-opened, and Help has been offered from all over the world with USAR teams from Australia, Great Britain, the USA, Singapore, Canada, France which is extremely humbling and most definately appreciated.
      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Thanks, Kiwi, for letting us know you are A-O-K, and for providing the sitrep on the status of the situation as it stands. Our thoughts & prayers go out to your beautiful country & its' fine people during this time of crisis.

Sincerely-

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Comment

No problems to that Bucky, It has been extremely saddening and just so incomprehensible the devastation that has occurred, one of the major problems has been with Liquifaction, A lot of Christchurch has been built on reclaimed swamp lands and marsh lands, so when the quake struck it has instantly sent the water to the surface and melted 'solid' ground and the roads, and infastructure has taken huge amounts of damage, as of the last hour some 40% of the city is still without power, and nearly all of the city is without water supplies, water is being railed in by NZ dairy company fonterra in massive quantities.
          Here in Dunedin, we have already started seeing Families from Christchurch arriving, and they are shocked, and have grabbed the kids, the important things and left.
          Engineers are reporting that the Grand Chancellor Hotel which is in the Main Cathedral Square is extremely unstable and could fall. Engineers have reported that the top of the building which is 26 storeys tall moved nearly 6 feet laterally in the space of 1 hour.
          If the the chancellor falls it could set off a domino effect of other unstable buildings in the area.
          Im sure there are boarders on here who have been to CHCH in their Military Service in in support of the US antartic program, will recount their good memories of the city.
          Christchurch, and indeed NZ will never be the same again.

Comment

Our local news tonight showed some truck-trailers from Sacramento CA loaded with rescue equipment and personnel heading your way. I didn't hear how they were getting there but I figure it is via USAF C-5's or C-17's.

Best wishes and glad to hear you are OK.
            Last edited by Ken from PG; 02-23-2011, 03:18 AM.

Comment

I'll join in the thanks that you're OK Kiwi! As well as the sadness for those who were not so lucky...

Lots of folks sending both aid and positive thoughts your way... We're all in this together, wherever on the planet we happen to spend most of our time!

Hang in there!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                that is one thing that has been most humbling for all us kiwis, the help that is being offered from all over the globe.
                As Prime Minister John Key said, this isnt just a Tragedy in Christchurch, it a tragedy for all New Zealand, with the University year getting under way this week, many students and families from all around NZ have loved ones in Christchurch. Talking with friends tonight, every person i know, knows someone in christchurch who has been affected by this disaster.
                From what i can understand, the Equipment coming from the U.S. will be arriving via Mighty Mouse as the Runways at Christchurch international were inspected but the C-17 is a little lighter in weight than a C-5 and they dont want to put to much stress on the already possibly damaged infastructure.
                New Zealanders are coming together as one to support our fellow country people in their time of need, It is humbling to see we are not the forgotten little country at the bottom of the world and that the rest of the world are almost falling over each other to offer support of any kind to us.
                THANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR WISHES AND SUPPORT!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X