Idea For A Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea For A Book

if someone could ever do this,I'd buy it.a book about all paint schemes of the reno unlimiteds from the beginning to now.for ex.,a section for rare bear showing all the color profiles.might be hard to do,but again!,I'd buy it! any thoughts?

Re: Idea For A Book

Originally posted by Mustang1957 View Post
    if someone could ever do this,I'd buy it.a book about all paint schemes of the reno unlimiteds from the beginning to now.for ex.,a section for rare bear showing all the color profiles.might be hard to do,but again!,I'd buy it! any thoughts?
    Randy Goss and I have been kicking that around for about 10 years or more. It was going to be our 'Encyclopedia of Air Racing". Stats, back-stories, photos, disposition, etc. of every plane in every class from 1964-the present.

It's just too bad that there are a ton of other projects in line ahead of it...and a few others that still have to be finished someday.

Comment

I'd just love to see one of the photo shop wizards around here do a little move where rare bear (or any of the major players) morphs from original paint to the current with every step in between.

Comment

Me thinks something like that is already in the works by someone we all know and love. It won't be "all encompassing," but it will be super F'n cool.

BTW... Taichi has gone a long distance in this direction. Everybody would be well served by buying his color illustrations.
        Scotty G

Comment

yeah,a nice mix of color photos and color drawings would be great.

Comment

a book of taichi"s profiles would sell big time!his work is the best I've ever seen.

Comment

Not sure if he is on this site or not, but there is a gentleman named Gary Williams that has printed just such a book. It is/was a limited addition binder (1999) that consisted of detailed drawings depicting the majority of the top Gold, Silver, and Bronze racer's color themes along with of other pertinent info.

There is also a 3 volume set of "Air Racing Results" that he also produced, and goes hand n hand with the binder.

Gary worked in collaboration with Dave Jones and Taichi Yama****a. His email address: airace@cox.net

You might try him and see if he still can print copies out for you. If the email doesn't work, send me a PM and I will try to get his phone #for you.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                I'd just love to see one of the photo shop wizards around here do a little move where rare bear (or any of the major players) morphs from original paint to the current with every step in between.
                Interesting note... the paint job on the Bear which became known as the *ahem* spermjob, was originally a crew design (on paper) to be a "burn off" from way back through current all the way to a checker nosed military scheme... What I saw on paper was a great concept but would have taken months to acheive, so, we got what we got that year...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Bruce,

Gary lives just up the road from me here in PHX. Been to his house a few times, and his products are very nice and a must for every air racing fan, historian, and participant. Very worthwhile to have.

The only reason I didn't mention his books is they're not "all inclusive" in terms of every plane, every year, and that Jones' drawings are black and white. Not saying anything negative about the work at all - I have a copy of each in my library.
                  Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                    Making the morph and any P-shop touch-ups is the easy part. Collecting all the (COLOR) photos together that were shot from roughly the same side-shot angle and getting them in the correct order is the real "bear"...
                    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I have a book I bought years ago called "Air Racers" I think by Jim Larsen (can't check right now). Softbound, it has a couple page hstory of unlimiteds from 67 into the 70's, with b&w photos and descriptions. Too bad I never saw a follow up...
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        I have a book I bought years ago called "Air Racers" I think by Jim Larsen (can't check right now). Softbound, it has a couple page hstory of unlimiteds from 67 into the 70's, with b&w photos and descriptions. Too bad I never saw a follow up...
                        That is a really good book. It's called the Directory of Unlimited Class Pylon Racers 1964-70, or something close to it. Basically outlines each plane (by race number) gives all the data, a brief history, details a paint scheme for a single, selected year in that airframe's history, and then gives a year by year paragraph run-down of what the plane did in races.

An updated volume was prepared for 1974, but was never published. The last time I spoke with Jim Larsen he laughed and said the still had the proof-sheets ready to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X