Mike Brown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Brown?

Just curious if Mike Browns home and hangar sold at Ione?
    Is their any chance that Mike Brown will return to Air Racing?
    Brian

Re: Mike Brown?

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    Just curious if Mike Browns home and hangar sold at Ione?
    Is their any chance that Mike Brown will return to Air Racing?
    Brian
    Not without an airplane!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

The last time I was at the Sanders, Mike was at his place in Ione, that was just before the Holidays. Hopefully Furias will give them all a run for their money!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
        Not without an airplane!

Race 29
        I for one would like it very much if Mike Brown returned to air racing. He and his wife were always willing to talk to us fans in the pits. He is a fierce competitor and a damned good stick. That has been proven.

"Not without an airplane!"

I think Mr. Brown has the bank roll to buy a race plane or two...or three...

Comment

WHAT IF...... Mike brown would consider acquiring Dego and his old team knowing he would have a plane to possibly beat Stega, Bear, Voodoo etc.??? I thought I remembered him talking about it one frustrating year.

(my personal thoughts are he's simply done with that part of his life, although, anything can and will happen in this day and age.)

PJ

Comment

DAGO! why do I also do that?......dyslexic bastard....

Comment

I doubt that Mike will ever return to racing. Its not that he didn’t enjoy it immensely, but the clues as to why he may have left can be found in the excellent “Jason Schilleroff”s Vimeo video “September Fury” 2007 Gold race. Mike is still probably wondering why no one else saw what he and the camera witnessed first hand and therein lays the answer. Mike Brown was/is an excellent pilot/ competitor and he along with Hoot Gibson were 2 of the finest student I’d been privilege to fly with during my tenure as a Pylon School Instructor.

The School was originally established so that experienced race pilot/instructors could impart upon the “Rookie” what was expected of them by fellow race competitors. As instructors it was our job to go over emergency procedures, runway choices for engine out landings, airplane/crew preparation etc, etc. We also impressed upon them the extreme importance of understanding and adhering to a number of cardinal rules if the wished to further their racing careers The most important of these rules being: “NEVER, TURN RIGHT WHEN YOU’RE ON THE RACE COURSE. NEVER PASS ON THE INSIDE OF A FELLOW RACER. KEEP PASSEE INSIGHT THROUGHOUT THE PASS.

We was also taught that failure to heed to these Golden Rules by them or their fellow race pilots would place that pilot directly in front of the Professional Contest Committee/Rookie School instructors. At which point a severe chastising would take place and if the pilot hadn’t been Black Flagged during his race, he would be moved to last place in the race results. If the infraction was blatant enough, his race license could be revoked for the rest of the season or longer.

The penalties may sound harsh and believe I know its racing as I’ve spent enough of my life banging handlebars, knocking guys down and getting knocked down myself to understand that. This is different though, as each and every pilot in the race entrusts his life to those around him. It’s a risk you take as an air racer, but it’s a risk that RARA wanted to minimize. Even the great Skip Holms isn’t going to survive being center punched by an airplane he can’t see. Remember, for a brief instance, the overtaking race pilot holds both of your futures in his hands. You are somewhat blind to the events about to unfold until the passing plane comes into your field of view. You have to trust those around you.

Cheers,
              Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by bruce lockwood View Post
                KEEP PASSEE INSIGHT THROUGHOUT THE PASS.

We was also taught that failure to heed to these Golden Rules by them or their fellow race pilots would place that pilot directly in front of the Professional Contest Committee/Rookie School instructors. At which point a severe chastising would take place and if the pilot hadn’t been Black Flagged during his race, he would be moved to last place in the race results. If the infraction was blatant enough, his race license could be revoked for the rest of the season or longer.

In most cases yes. However, before that flight it was briefed that if someone was going to hug the deadline all the way around the course that inside passes would be allowed for by certain pilots in certain places. Was it sketchy? Yes. Should it have been a surprise? No.

Comment

Race 5

Just curious have you watched the footage, look at the pylon pass under the wing and then tell me how close he was to the deadline??

Bruce

Comment

I did watch that video and at the time wondered why there wasn't more noise about it. As I recall Mike did file a protest but to no avail.
                    If that's the way it really happened then it's no real shocker why Mike took his toys and went home.

GP

Comment

I talked with Tiger about that pass at the races the year after it happened. He said Mike was hugging the deadline so hard he had no other option but to cut the deadline or pass on the inside.

He also said that Bruce was jealous because the only time he could beat Strega was when they blew up. and something about Bruce getting lost on the start or missing a turn.

I say we put this to rest and thank Mike for bringing so much to the races in the first place and stop rehashing the past and start looking forward to the future.

Anyone hear anything about Wildfire?

Comment

Sorry that somehow this turned into a Dago versus Strega, Bruce versus/Tiger thing. I loved racing with Tiger and always thought the best of him. I'm sure that he and I will always poke fun at each other as to what could have been, that’s what we racer do.

The subject was posted as to why Mike quit racing. I pointed out the film footage which stands on its own.
                        Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by bruce lockwood View Post
                          Race 5

Just curious have you watched the footage, look at the pylon pass under the wing and then tell me how close he was to the deadline??

Bruce
                          I have watched it several times. I also watched every lap of every unlimited heat that week. The majority of the time 232 was out on the deadline. It was mentioned in the pilot brief before the final started. Like I said before, I agree it was probably a bit aggressive, but if Tiger had gone around the outside, and Mike had swung wide like he had been doing all week, the situation would have been just as dangerous. There were at least two other dangerous passes involving other aircraft that year, and the year after, that were not taken to the contest committee. The only difference is we didn't have on board footage from those incidents.

Comment

They wern't about to do anything then and probably not in the future. It's still very much '' a good o'l boys club''.

Comment

Race 5, good point. I wasn't there that year, so can only go by the camera footage.

To keep all of this in a fun/good natured spirit, I concede the point that I've answered a question that I probably should have left alone. My apologies if I stepped on toes in any way.

Cheers,
                              Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X