A BIRTHDAY SALUTE TO BOB HOOVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A BIRTHDAY SALUTE TO BOB HOOVER

Today we salute one of aviation's greatest living legends-Robert A. "Bob" Hoover on his 89th Birthday.

Here's a simple photo tribute to honor this country gentleman, distinguished WW2 veteran, test pilot extraordinare, airshow & air racing icon, and inspiration to generations of people world-wide who share his immense love of flying.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY- MR. HOOVER! You're The Greatest & We Love You Dearly!

DBD
    Attached Files

Re: A BIRTHDAY SALUTE TO BOB HOOVER

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB Amazing life of flight, thanks for sharing it with us.

Cloudchaser

Comment

Happy Birthday Mr. Hoover--to a true Hero and Gentleman!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Happy birthday, Mr. Hoover! One of my most cherished memories is of meeting Bob at Reno. I don't think I've ever met a classier gentleman!

Comment

I well remember, as a 14 year old, watching an airshow at Orange County airport. The lineup included Bob Love’s white colored P-51, Clay Lacy’s purple colored P-51 and Frank Tallman’s ‘natural’ colored Bieriot.

Each took turns showing what they and their steads could do. One stood out from the rest. This pilot guided his yellow colored P-51 through the skies that day in a show of graceful flight. True poetry in motion.

Happy Birthday and Thank You Mr Hoover.

Comment

...a few pics from the 60s' and 70s'...

(1-3) May 1963...Spokane (GEG)...encountered a mechanical problem...cut his routine short...WA ANG then fixed it...

(4-7) Reno '68

(8) Reno '72 N8687D
            Attached Files

Comment

GREAT & amazing shots again there, Sledge!

And again seeing well-groomed Mr. Hoover attired in his tailored-business suit & tie, dress shoes as his performance 'working duds' - speaks of this gentleman's class act & great rep of his generation's personality & charisma. What a man - what a great era in aviation!

HUGE THANKS, again J.D., for posting your excellent & colorful time capsule photographs !!!

DBD

Comment

Verry cool. I noticed the Evergreen logo on Old Yeller how did that come about? I didn't know Bob was sponsored by them.

Comment

Thanks, Joel. Yes- In 1986, Bob Hoover left Rockwell International to join Del Smith's Evergreen International, which picked-up the sponsorship for Hoover's P-51 & Shrike Commander airshow demo tours.

For more info on this - here's a link to the finale of Di Freeze's article- Bob Hoover - A Calm Voice in the Face of Disaster, published 9/04 in Airport Journals:

Of course, reading Bob Hoover's autobiography- 'Forever Flying', is highly-recommended & it's now available in paperback.

DBD
                  Last edited by BuckyD; 01-26-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

That was a good read Bucky, I think I will follow up and get that book. I'm going to foward that link to some of the guys at the museum. I have been a volunteer at Evergreen for about five years now and give tours in our B-17 most Sundays. We have a nice looking P-51 sitting next to it and even thou it's not purple it looks pretty good.
                    JP

Comment

Hi Joel- Glad to know you enjoyed that article (Yes indeed, Hoover's book is even better reading & will be a perfect followup).

I also appreciated learning that you're a volunteer at Evergreen's Spruce Goose Museum there in McMinnville. As a museum group volunteer myself, (-ramrodding a lengthy Grumman Goose rebuild restoration up here in Ketchikan, Alaska f/Tongass Historical Society's 'Save-The-Goose' Project), -it's always wonderful to hear about good folks such as yourself donating their time & energy on behalf of historic preservation & exhibit f/the benefit of us all. My pals & I hope to make it down to your museum this coming Spring, after hearing so many great things & seeing awesome photos of it, along w/a brochure I was given by one of our volunteers . It will be an exciting visit for us & maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you while we're there.

As for the Evergreen collection's P-51D you have there on display- well, it might not be purple, but it definately has a very colorful post-WW2 Cleveland air racing history nonetheless & it's one of the big draws for my making a visit down there, besides seeing the Spruce Goose. What an awesome collection! (BTW-I heard some tidbits regarding a recent PBY aquisition by Evergreen...?)

DBD

Comment

Actually Bucky we meet briefly at pylon 7 last year. I hear so much scuttlebutt about new planes comming I can't keep up. I think the PBY is still a go. Drop me an email before you come down and I can get you into the museum as my guest. The bigest problem we have is paying for the transportation of the planes we have acquired or that are on loan. Our latest plane was an F-15 that Mr. Smiths son Mike flew for the Ore. Gaurd.
                        Joel
                        joelpoly@msn.com

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                          As for the Evergreen collection's P-51D you have there on display- well, it might not be purple, but it definately has a very colorful post-WW2 Cleveland air racing history nonetheless & it's one of the big draws for my making a visit down there, besides seeing the Spruce Goose. What an awesome collection! (BTW-I heard some tidbits regarding a recent PBY aquisition by Evergreen...?)
                          Hey Buckster... The only Mustang I've managed to get a ride in is the Evergreen P-51... I know the interior is not standard milatary and have heard a bit of info on it...

Back in the day... when the Evergreen collection was in storage and they were doing their best to get a museum built, I worked with the (then) director, Gary Thompson... he was truly the inspiration that started aafo.com! Gave me my first interview, (lessons on how to included with the process) and guided me within the institution there... truly got me my start in all this...

I also got to fly in the tail gunner slot for their b-17... would love to know more about the Mustang!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Fox View Post
                            Actually Bucky we meet briefly at pylon 7 last year. I hear so much scuttlebutt about new planes comming I can't keep up. I think the PBY is still a go. Drop me an email before you come down and I can get you into the museum as my guest. The bigest problem we have is paying for the transportation of the planes we have acquired or that are on loan. Our latest plane was an F-15 that Mr. Smiths son Mike flew for the Ore. Gaurd.
                            Joel
                            joelpoly@msn.com
                            THANKS, JOEL! I'll definately take you up on the invite!

Kind regards- DBD

Comment

HI WAYNE! Hey thanks for the Evergreen museum recollections.

Regarding the P-51 in their collection,-I'll post some pics & history on it in a seperate thread, as this thread's devoted to BOB HOOVER & we can get back on track.

DBD

Comment

Working...
                              X